RD Callan Foote (2017, 14th, TBL)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Son of former NHLer Adam Foote and playing for the Defence factory known as the Kelowna Rockets. Has good size(6'4 210) and is putting up good numbers in his rookie year with 4G+19A in 43 games so far this year. Have only watched him once but was impressed with his all-around game. Should be one to watch for next years draft.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=247895

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Does he have more offensive potential to his game than his father did? Daddy was a very underrated skater, but obviously built his legacy around tough, flawless, defensive hockey. How close are they or is Cal a very different type of player?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
You can definitely see some of Adam's game in him but has more offensive potential from what I saw. In todays game I don't think Adam would be able to play the way he did anyway and Callan has a more modern defenceman style.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
RD Callan "Cal" Foote - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2017 Draft)

Surprised he doesnt have his own thread yet, especially considering he is Adam's son.

Looks like he's having a nice Draft -1 season right now. Can anyone give us a scouting report? He's playing for the best defence factory in juniors and it looks like he has a lot of potential. Future looks bright.

Height: 6'3''

Weight: 200lbs

So far this season: GP: 65gp 6g 24a 30pts

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Bonafide top-10-15 threat for next year.

Here's a cursory report on him..being from the Kelowna area I have seen him play many times:

- He's massive, absolutely massive.

- Defends very well and I'd say he is a guy who allows his defensive acumen to help the team flow into the offensive zone. That's not to say he's limited in the offensive zone; he's kind of like a Josi type in that he makes sure he takes care of his own zone before getting ahead of himself, and his passing ability is a huge part of Kelowna's transition game

- Definite pass-first D-man. Very heady and his size allows him to stand his ground when he is settling loose pucks and staring down aggressive forechecks.

- Very good gap controller; this is probably the part of his game I like the most. He really understands how to close out opposing forwards, both entering the zone and in the corners. This is a skill you really can't teach, in my opinion - the guy just gets how to play D.

- Physical. As you could imagine

- Good but not fantastic skater. I think he has grown quite a bit in the last few years, so I expect his skating to improve over time. Obviously has access to resources that few other players do, so I would not worry about this at all.

- His shot is fine but not an amazing asset. While he's a pass first guy, if you were to target an area of his game for immediate improvement, this would be it.

- I was talking to a person in the Kelowna org. and they told me this kid has size 16 shoes. Kind of a weird detail...but he could realistically grow to be 6'5+ and 220+. With a very strong defensive game and obviously elite bloodlines. Just scary how good he could become

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Bonafide top-10-15 threat for next year.

Here's a cursory report on him..being from the Kelowna area I have seen him play many times:

- He's massive, absolutely massive.

- Defends very well and I'd say he is a guy who allows his defensive acumen to help the team flow into the offensive zone. That's not to say he's limited in the offensive zone; he's kind of like a Josi type in that he makes sure he takes care of his own zone before getting ahead of himself, and his passing ability is a huge part of Kelowna's transition game

- Definite pass-first D-man. Very heady and his size allows him to stand his ground when he is settling loose pucks and staring down aggressive forechecks.

- Very good gap controller; this is probably the part of his game I like the most. He really understands how to close out opposing forwards, both entering the zone and in the corners. This is a skill you really can't teach, in my opinion - the guy just gets how to play D.

- Physical. As you could imagine

- Good but not fantastic skater. I think he has grown quite a bit in the last few years, so I expect his skating to improve over time. Obviously has access to resources that few other players do, so I would not worry about this at all.

- His shot is fine but not an amazing asset. While he's a pass first guy, if you were to target an area of his game for immediate improvement, this would be it.

- I was talking to a person in the Kelowna org. and they told me this kid has size 16 shoes. Kind of a weird detail...but he could realistically grow to be 6'5+ and 220+. With a very strong defensive game and obviously elite bloodlines. Just scary how good he could become

Nice post.

You think this kid has Top 2 D-man potential?

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Literally has all the tools except skating, which is a work in progress.

His skating isn't bad, especially for his age, but it needs work.

He's also more of a shutdown guy, but still has plenty of offensive potential.

Definite first round guy at this point.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Watched him a few times. Solid player for sure and certainly has at least 2nd round potential.

Kelowna with another very solid D man... What a shocker :sarcasm:

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Great player and a legit top 20 guy next year as things stand now. Really has the tools to do everything at the NHL level. Surely more skilled than his father but also plays a rugged style. He's huge, too.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Nice post.

You think this kid has Top 2 D-man potential?

Absolutely. I obviously can't speak to his progression in the future, but he has all the tools to become a force at the next level. Kelowna also doesn't have their strongest squad this year and he's putting up great #'s. He will be an exciting player to watch next year and I could easily see a Western team falling in love with him

edit: his little brother Nolan could also become a very good player, should be with the Rockets next year

Last edited:

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Absolutely. I obviously can't speak to his progression in the future, but he has all the tools to become a force at the next level. Kelowna also doesn't have their strongest squad this year and he's putting up great #'s. He will be an exciting player to watch next year and I could easily see a Western team falling in love with him

edit: his little brother Nolan could also become a very good player, should be with the Rockets next year

Seems like he'll be an intriguing prospect to watch out for. His stock seems to be on the rise. :handclap:

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Kelowna will definitely help him develop when you consider that a good 50ish% of defenseman from the dub come from them.

I honestly cant make out the top 10 next year. Vaakaninen, Liljegren, Foote are all very complete defenseman with great size; unlike this year where alot of the high defenseman are all 5'10-6'0, and more offense oriented. The forwards also have alot of talent in Davidsson, Hischier, Comtois. Foote will likely be top 5 by the end of the year IMHO.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Looking forward to seeing him play. Size, smarts, bloodline, right-shot and coming up the best D factory. He has a lot of things going in his favour.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I think Nolan Foote heads to the USNDP next year. Just my gut but after that he clearly would head to the WHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Seems like he'll be an intriguing prospect to watch out for. His stock seems to be on the rise. :handclap:

We finally have a first round pick in 2017, and this guy is a right shot defenseman. :amazed: Exactly the type of player the Rangers need to draft.

Foote is the player from the 2017 draft that I'm trying to keep track of, outside of the top few names. Big right handed defenseman who play well in the W, have good skill and have NHL bloodlines don't grow on trees, could also be a candidate to play for the USA at the WJC's next year.

For anyone that has seen more of Foote, is he someone that could realistically challenge for the top defenseman in this draft if he puts it all together or does he not really have that type of potential?

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
We finally have a first round pick in 2017, and this guy is a right shot defenseman. :amazed: Exactly the type of player the Rangers need to draft.

Foote is the player from the 2017 draft that I'm trying to keep track of, outside of the top few names. Big right handed defenseman who play well in the W, have good skill and have NHL bloodlines don't grow on trees, could also be a candidate to play for the USA at the WJC's next year.

For anyone that has seen more of Foote, is he someone that could realistically challenge for the top defenseman in this draft if he puts it all together or does he not really have that type of potential?

He has that potential but not sure i'd pencil him in as likely to be the 1st D taken next season. But as for him and being a fit for the Rangers, he's definitely that to a tee.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Liljegren is viewed as the best euro defensive prospect since Hedman, it would take a lot for someone to pass him. I'd be surprised if anyone challenges him much for top d status like Ekblad, Jones Hedman, and Larsson before him. But Foote looks interesting for sure.

thething

Jul 28, 2014

I've only seen Kelowna play a couple of times this year and while he looked good, he didn't standout the way I'd think the top defenseman of a draft would in those games.

From what I've seen he showed good hockey iq, a decent shot, and a good outlet pass but played a simple game and wasn't physical in the games I saw.

He didn't look like he was on another level over other defensemen on his team like Johansen, who isn't considered a first rounder this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad