RD Brett Lernout - Swift Current Broncos, WHL (2014, 73rd overall, Montreal)

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Curious to know what people who watch him regularly think about this guy.

6'4", 205 lbs
He has already set new career highs in goals, assists and pts. Only 5 D-men in the WHL have more goals than him this season.

Is Sheldon Souray a good comparison?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've been pleasantly surprised, as I'm sure the Broncos have been too.

I thought he was very raw when they first acquired him from Saskatoon a couple of years ago but he has really come into his own. His puck skills were quite limited when they picked him up but he has improved exponentially in that area. His shot has always been good, but it's still an area that he has also shown nice growth in.

Souray probably isn't a horrible comparison, but I don't really have anything much better than that to offer up.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I've been pleasantly surprised, as I'm sure the Broncos have been too.

I thought he was very raw when they first acquired him from Saskatoon a couple of years ago but he has really come into his own. His puck skills were quite limited when they picked him up but he has improved exponentially in that area. His shot has always been good, but it's still an area that he has also shown nice growth in.

Souray probably isn't a horrible comparison, but I don't really have anything much better than that to offer up.

Thanks for the input. It's appreciated.

He scored his 12th goal tonight. Tied for 3rd among WHL D-men.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a hard-hitting defensive defender who happens to have a man's shot in a boy's league right now. I don't think he projects as any sort of offensive player in pro.

Really like his physical game - one of the more crunching guys in the WHL right now, has a mean streak and explodes through guys.

Don't like his skating much. Suspect it'll be exposed if he's in the AHL next year and wonder if it would be better if he stayed for his overage year in SC. He's been a late developer and continuing to work on his skills at this level wouldn't be the worst thing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's a hard-hitting defensive defender who happens to have a man's shot in a boy's league right now. I don't think he projects as any sort of offensive player in pro.

Really like his physical game - one of the more crunching guys in the WHL right now, has a mean streak and explodes through guys.

Don't like his skating much. Suspect it'll be exposed if he's in the AHL next year and wonder if it would be better if he stayed for his overage year in SC. He's been a late developer and continuing to work on his skills at this level wouldn't be the worst thing.

I would assume he's in the AHL next year but the Habs could be overloaded with RD's in Hamilton next year so perhaps they will consider sending him back as an overager like they did with Dalton Thrower as both were late birthdays, although Lernout will turn 20 before the AHL season starts whereas Thrower if he was born 12 days later wouldn't have been eligible for the AHL last year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

I agree that his skating remains an issue. It's always been rather "loud" looking with clunky feet. He gets around ok all things considered but an overage year in the WHL definitely wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad