RD Brandon Montour (2012 undrafted; 2014, 55th, ANA)

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Brandon Montour THW War Room Profile by E-Mac

Excerpt:

Hashtag: #MrMcWow
Team: #62, Waterloo, USHL
Commit: University of Massachusetts
Position: Defense
Shoots: Right
Height: 6’0
Weight: 172 lb.
Born: Oshwegen, ON, 11-Apr-94
Twitter: @Montour93

From the War Room

Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Brandon Montour:

Mr. McWow – Like his coach, USHL Coach of the Year, P.K. O’Handley, said in the quotes above, “wow, holy cow and wow.†That about sums up the play of Brandon Montour. He relishes that high-risk, high-motor offensive onslaught reminiscent of Ryan Murphyand Shayne Gostisbehere. Brandon was not just Mr. Mc Wow but Mr. Everything as well as he led his team, the Waterloo Black Hawks, all over the ice and into the Clark Cup Finals. For that, he was named both the USHL player of the year and the USHL defenseman of the year.
Offense – Skating – fast, agile, mobile, always on the move, always taunting you that he will make the rush; shot – It’s in the net, fast and with a howitzer (slap shot and wrist shot alike); passing – sublime, led the league in assists.
Defense – Very strong positionally, can get the puck out of the zone in a hurry. Brandon was sixth in the league with a +35 plus minus.
Awards and Achievements...

Link to full in depth profile here

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I thought he was worth a late pick last year, but even if there were scouts that liked him, it's probably not the easiest task to convince your team that it's worth spending a pick on an overage kid playing Junior B that did not have a commitment at the time.
I did not watch him this season but did keep an eye on him in boxscores and such and it looks like he had no trouble transitioning from the underappreciated GOJHL to the top Junior A league.
Always nice to see a sleeper that you like get some recognition.

It should be noted that he is from Ohsweken; Oshwegen was some kind of weird typo that the USHL site had for a period of time.
Even then, he was originally from the Chatham-Kent area and lived there until 2008.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
I thought he was worth a late pick last year, but even if there were scouts that liked him, it's probably not the easiest task to convince your team that it's worth spending a pick on an overage kid playing Junior B that did not have a commitment at the time.
I did not watch him this season but did keep an eye on him in boxscores and such and it looks like he had no trouble transitioning from the underappreciated GOJHL to the top Junior A league.
Always nice to see a sleeper that you like get some recognition.

It should be noted that he is from Ohsweken; Oshwegen was some kind of weird typo that the USHL site had for a period of time.
Even then, he was originally from the Chatham-Kent area and lived there until 2008.

Interesting!^

How high can he go on Saturday? (kind of rhetorical, kind of not...)

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Curious that Montour lands in the 2nd and Bayreuther goes undrafted...thoughts as to why?

Why Anaheim picked him has been said. Why players like him get passed on in a draft that was supposed to be weak is beyond my understanding. The draft in general is strange to me, especially in the lower rounds. Why he isn't worth a 6 or 7 rounder is not understandable for me.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Where did this kid come from?haha... Apparently has stood out bigtime at the Ducks development camp. Sounds like he may turn into something special...aaaaaand ofcourse a part of the Ducks organization!!wow

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Can't go to the prospect camp, living on the other side of the continent and whatnot but everything I've heard about him thus far makes him sound very promising. Him and Kerdiles seem to be the best players at camp up to this point. I think GMBM said something along the lines of him being a pick that people look back on as a home run selection so obviously the organization is very high on him. Excited to follow his career progress, sounds like a stud so far.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I kind of wish he could go straight to the AHL. As a 20 year old I'd like to see him in the AHL rather then college.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I kind of wish he could go straight to the AHL. As a 20 year old I'd like to see him in the AHL rather then college.
He can go straight to the AHL, but it probably wouldn't be the best option for him.
Remember, he's two years removed from playing Junior B.

It's unfortunate that he's not going to a program with more pedigree, but he'll likely get plenty of ice time against some of the top programs while playing a fairly strong schedule.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ya as much as everyone is eager for him to start playing pro, he needs atleast a year in NCAA... with Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, Theodore, etc etc etc, there is no reason what so ever to rush this guy. No need to distract him with dangling a NHL contract infront of his face and let him play a year or 2 in college.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
An update on Montour, as it has been reported this weekend that he won't enroll at UMass until mid-December, so Montour will be playing with Waterloo in the USHL until then.

Matt Vautour @GazetteUMass · Aug 30
UMass hockey D Brandon Montour won't enroll until Dec. 16. No further information being given

He'll play in USHL until then

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
An update on Montour, as it has been reported this weekend that he won't enroll at UMass until mid-December, so Montour will be playing with Waterloo in the USHL until then.

UMass hockey D Brandon Montour won't enroll until Dec. 16. No further information being given

He'll play in USHL until then

hmmmm strange... I wonder why?????... hmmm maybe Ducks will offer him a deal and let him play AHL instead?? I don't like the sounds of him in USHL for half a year and then him join NCAA midseason. Gonna be a crappy year for his development as a 20 year old. Its not easy joining a new team midseason, especially when its a notch higher in level... lll be curious to see what happens here cause I LOVE Montour and think he may turn into a huge steal

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
If he's planning on going to college still but won't be enrolling until december 16 my guess would be an academic issue. I know that my first term courses and first term exam period ended around mid december and some people start their enrollment in the second term. Official enrollment date could be shortly after end of first term (which may line up with his planned date to enroll) because you usually get a decent amount of time for course selection before the year and between terms. This is all speculation on my part, I don't have any inside info.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not much talk about Montour at all. Having a real impressive start to his NCAA career since recently joining UMASS around Christmas. Very offensive dman that Anaheim may possibly hit yet another homerun with.

Currently in 11gp. he has 12pts. and 20pims. He is leading his team in Dman scoring while playing way less than half as many games.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Not much talk about Montour at all. Having a real impressive start to his NCAA career since recently joining UMASS around Christmas. Very offensive dman that Anaheim may possibly hit yet another homerun with.

Currently in 11gp. he has 12pts. and 20pims. He is leading his team in Dman scoring while playing way less than half as many games.

Keep him unknown so I never have to see him name on the tradeboards.

Anaheim knows how to draft defensemen...

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Keep him unknown so I never have to see him name on the tradeboards.

Anaheim knows how to draft defensemen...

I cant believe there isn't way more talk about him!!!.. the kid is on a tear since joining UMASS half way thru the season.

14gp. 3g. 13a. 16pts. for a rookie dman in NCAA so far this year.. Anaheim scouts are dmen finding geniuses!!

Dec 2, 2010
Scoring was never an issue for him (as impressive as it is). It's the work to improve his awareness for the next levels that is the biggest obstacle.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Scoring was never an issue for him (as impressive as it is). It's the work to improve his awareness for the next levels that is the biggest obstacle.

what do u mean? like defensive awareness and stuff? or like cause hes been such a late bloomer and hasn't played at a real high level until this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad