RD Bode Wilde (2018, 41st, NYI)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Except that he would be eaten alive by AHL players.

Doesn't matter how good your development team is, he's not ready for that level. Few 17-18 year olds are.

The kid doesn't have to play shut down minutes just give him the Liljegren treatment

Plenty of offensive zone starts with some 2nd unit PP time and 45-55 starts over the season
The kids got size and tools but he needs a good professional environment to develop his game and if the Leafs picked him there's few places better for that than under Keefe on the Marlies with the Leafs development staff

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I know Corey Pronman dropped him from 16th to 19th on June 7thL
UPDATED (June 7): Initially ranked No. 16, changes made after learning about off-ice and conditioning issues.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I buy conditioning issues but off-ice? That’s news to me.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
That's pretty interesting. Wasn't he committed to Harvard before committing to Michigan?

I wonder if this has to do with not getting invited to the USA junior camp?

No, Wahlstrom from the NTDP was committed to Harvard but did not get in due to academics. Wilde's been committed to Michigan all along.

Saginaw's just up the road 1.5 hours from Plymouth & Ann Arbor, so he could wind up there playing for the Spirits in the OHL if he's not ready for the AHL. Personally, I think his defensive game needs a lot of work and he'd be better off in the OHL next year if he's not going the NCAA route. We'll see if his NHL team feels the same way this autumn.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I don't see Wilde as a first rounder, you're right.

And his defensive game just isn't up to snuff for the AHL- there isn't even such thing as a fourth pair. There are so many players I see with higher outright potentials, and who don't lack hockey IQ and are as plagued with defensive blunders as Wilde.

Just my opinion though.

Agreed. This kid won’t be playing in the AHL next year.

Let’s not assume Keefe can fix all the holes here either. He seems like he’ll need seasoning in junior before he works his way up.

Reactions: Habs76

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
No, Wahlstrom from the NTDP was committed to Harvard but did not get in due to academics. Wilde's been committed to Michigan all along.

Saginaw's just up the road 1.5 hours from Plymouth & Ann Arbor, so he could wind up there playing for the Spirits in the OHL if he's not ready for the AHL. Personally, I think his defensive game needs a lot of work and he'd be better off in the OHL next year if he's not going the NCAA route. We'll see if his NHL team feels the same way this autumn.

no you are wrong
body was committed to harvard befire michigan
if he goes to ohl , its a good move to get more games and grind in if thats what he is looking for
i would have thought that a line with him and hughes at michigan would be devastating for opposition with a true run at the title

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
no you are wrong
body was committed to harvard befire michigan
if he goes to ohl , its a good move to get more games and grind in if thats what he is looking for
i would have thought that a line with him and hughes at michigan would be devastating for opposition with a true run at the title

I dont think its a good move, itd be basically a step down in competition after playing a bunch of D1 teams this year

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The kid doesn't have to play shut down minutes just give him the Liljegren treatment

Plenty of offensive zone starts with some 2nd unit PP time and 45-55 starts over the season
The kids got size and tools but he needs a good professional environment to develop his game and if the Leafs picked him there's few places better for that than under Keefe on the Marlies with the Leafs development staff

Liljegren's defensive game was far more developed before he came to the AHL, although he had less offensive talent.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Liljegren's defensive game was far more developed before he came to the AHL, although he had less offensive talent.

Liljegren wasn't exactly perfect defensively either but being in a good system with high quality coaching playing sheltered minutes isn't a bad way to develop that side of his game

This is moot most likely because I don't think we're going to pick him but I'd be comfortable putting Wilde in the AHL after the Liljegren experiment this year

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I dont think its a good move, itd be basically a step down in competition after playing a bunch of D1 teams this year

its all perspectives ....for some it works for others no

the 70 game schedule and ice practices vs in gym (vs ice) of the NCAA works for some vs others

keifer bellows most recently...

Reactions: bigdog16

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The OHL is better competition than the USHL teams Wilde played against last season.

But he could be playing in NCAA or AHL, which is better competition than OHL. He should go where he can get the best development on the defensive side of the game.

I don't think thats playing junior hockey.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013

Yes he was committed to Harvard 1st, then Michigan, now who knows.
Shows some question marks about the kid
IMO, if he's not "top dog" he takes his ball and goes home!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
But he could be playing in NCAA or AHL, which is better competition than OHL. He should go where he can get the best development on the defensive side of the game.

I don't think thats playing junior hockey.

The OHL is a lot closer competitively to the NCAA than many people around here give it credit for.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think he's AHL ready. OHL will give him a bunch of reps, and keep in mind, he isn't locked into the CHL as if he excels there next year, he can be brought to the AHL at 19 like Sonny Milano was. But, the amount of players who are "above" junior hockey is dramatically overstated around here.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Don't despair: you'll always be number one at blaming Hispanics and African-Americans for your decaying inner cities and uneven budgets, voting for demagogues with orange jump suits fastened to their scalps, and bombing third-world countries.

Murican exceptionalism at its finest.
No, we blame expatriate Canadian hockey players, fouling our air with the stench of maple syrup and assaulting our eyes with the brown sludge known as poutine. Call off your dogs!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think he's AHL ready. OHL will give him a bunch of reps, and keep in mind, he isn't locked into the CHL as if he excels there next year, he can be brought to the AHL at 19 like Sonny Milano was. But, the amount of players who are "above" junior hockey is dramatically overstated around here.

I think this whole Wilde discussion is also overstated. Would you and all these people have been saying he’s not AHL ready in March? I think not. Like Liljegren who didn’t play well at the WJC18, I think what Wilde’s capable of is being understated. He really shouldn’t have trouble sticking in the AHL. He’d score 1PPG+ and not have to work on his defense in the OHL. Would he even improve? I don’t know. To be successful in that league, he wouldn’t need to. This is the sort of player who needs better structure and coaching, not another year of playing junior hockey.

Reactions: kroypuck

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
The OHL is a lot closer competitively to the NCAA than many people around here give it credit for.

I think its the exact opposite, I think theres a larger gap between the two than people think. Has there ever been a player thats left NCAA and done worse in the CHL?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I think its the exact opposite, I think theres a larger gap between the two than people think. Has there ever been a player thats left NCAA and done worse in the CHL?

Not that many players leave the NCAA for the CHL, so I'm not sure the sample size is big enough to make any determination. Kiefer Bellows is one of the few recent examples. I do remember Robby Czarnik leaving Michigan to play for the Plymouth Whalers several years ago, and he was just an average winger for the Whalers. Of course, the opposite -- leaving the CHL for the NCAA -- cannot happen, so there is nothing to compare in that instance.

There is still more high end talent -- by which I mean NHL first round draft picks -- coming out of the CHL than the NCAA. The latter has been catching up the past few years, partially due to the success of the US NTDP, but the NCAA still is behind. The age difference is not that big between the two -- the top talent in the CHL is usually in the 17-19 age range, while in the NCAA it's around 18-20. There are older players in both systems, who are usually the ones less ready to move on to the AHL/NHL. The 16 year olds in the CHL are usually the more exceptional players, and each team is allowed a limited number of them.

Reactions: dood

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
There is still more high end talent -- by which I mean NHL first round draft picks -- coming out of the CHL than the NCAA. The latter has been catching up the past few years, partially due to the success of the US NTDP, but the NCAA still is behind. The age difference is not that big between the two -- the top talent in the CHL is usually in the 17-19 age range, while in the NCAA it's around 18-20. There are older players in both systems, who are usually the ones less ready to move on to the AHL/NHL. The 16 year olds in the CHL are usually the more exceptional players, and each team is allowed a limited number of them.
NCAA is closer to 21-23, which is pretty much their physical prime. While the top flight guys make the team as 18 year olds, most players play a few years in the USHL/NAHL/Jr. A/etc. first.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not that many players leave the NCAA for the CHL, so I'm not sure the sample size is big enough to make any determination. Kiefer Bellows is one of the few recent examples. I do remember Robby Czarnik leaving Michigan to play for the Plymouth Whalers several years ago, and he was just an average winger for the Whalers. Of course, the opposite -- leaving the CHL for the NCAA -- cannot happen, so there is nothing to compare in that instance.

Coyle, also.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For me guys and gals, he sticks out like a sore thumb on day 2 of the draft. Should go early on day 2. He should have been taken on day 1 IMHO. Size and skilled D man. For me anyone taking him on day two it is like getting an extra 1st rd pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad