RD Artyom Zub (2014 undrafted; signed by OTT)

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Tough to call him a prospect as he is already 24, but I definitely think he is worthy of a thread.

He has already been rumored to receive interest from NHL teams when he was at '18 OG and has since become an even better player.

Known as a defensive defender, he has added an offensive element to his game (leads SKA with 12 goals, 1 goal shy of league leaders for defenders). He also is a league leader in +/-, for whatever that's worth.

Free Agent at season's end, I expect a number of NHL teams to contact his agent, although SKA will certainly throw big numbers to keep him.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Tough to call him a prospect as he is already 24, but I definitely think he is worthy of a thread.

He has already been rumored to receive interest from NHL teams when he was at '18 OG and has since become an even better player.

Known as a defensive defender, he has added an offensive element to his game (leads SKA with 12 goals, 1 goal shy of league leaders for defenders). He also is a league leader in +/-, for whatever that's worth.

Free Agent at season's end, I expect a number of NHL teams to contact his agent, although SKA will certainly throw big numbers to keep him.

SKA can't throw big numbers with a hard salary cap under $15M...

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
@Caser is there an NHL comparable defender for Zub you can think of?

Also, do you think he has a good chance at being a top 4 guy on an NHL team?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
@Caser is there an NHL comparable defender for Zub you can think of?

Also, do you think he has a good chance at being a top 4 guy on an NHL team?

First comparison that comes in my mind is Gavrikov-lite, yet right handed.

As for the Top 4 potential, last season I'd say unlikely, but after quite some progress in his game this year, I'd say maybe.

Reactions: bagsw and EXTRAS

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
First comparison that comes in my mind is Gavrikov-lite, yet right handed.

As for the Top 4 potential, last season I'd say unlikely, but after quite some progress in his game this year, I'd say maybe.
I agree about comparison with Gavrikov. Zub improved his results this year, but it is difficult to say about the reasons. Maybe it happened because rinks became smaller, maybe it is about his progress, maybe KHL level became lower.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Played almost 18 min tonight, 2 min of PK. It looks like Ottawa fans already love him.

Well, his competition for spots in the lineup are terrible. So the bar is very low.

We fans are just happy to have someone who isn't a pylon with concrete hands.

But he has looked pretty solid at making simple plays and moving the puck out of dangerous situations.

Reactions: cudi

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Played almost 18 min tonight, 2 min of PK. It looks like Ottawa fans already love him.

We love anyone who isnt Coburn, Reilly, J.Brown, or Gudbranson to be fair, but he's definitely been way better than I expected so far. I assumed because he couldn't beat the 4 guys I mentioned out of a job he must not be very good, but turns out DJ Smith is just kind of an idiot with lineup decisions sometimes. He should have been in the lineup from game 1 if he played this well in camp. Hes not flashy or anything, but color me impressed.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's made a really good progress in the last few years, but when he didn't make terrible Ottawa defense, I was afraid, he was going to be another top KHL defenseman (like Kiselevich), who failed in the NHL because NHL coaches just prefered some homegrown kids. Glad, it's starting to look like not the case. Being RHD helps as well. If he really is another Gavrikov, it'll be great.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
He's made a really good progress in the last few years, but when he didn't make terrible Ottawa defense, I was afraid, he was going to be another top KHL defenseman (like Kiselevich), who failed in the NHL because NHL coaches just prefered some homegrown kids. Glad, it's starting to look like not the case. Being RHD helps as well. If he really is another Gavrikov, it'll be great.
There is no indications yet that he have a better career than Kiselevich. Bogdan actually made the team out of camp and was getting the same kind of TOI that Zub getting now and wasn't scratched in first two months of the season, if I'm not mistaken. It is later that situation changed.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
There is no indications yet that he have a better career than Kiselevich. Bogdan actually made the team out of camp and was getting the same kind of TOI that Zub getting now and wasn't scratched in first two months of the season, if I'm not mistaken. It is later that situation changed.

Kiselevich was 28 and not 25, though. Another thing is Ottawa doesn't have any good RHDs.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kiselevich was 28 and not 25, though. Another thing is Ottawa doesn't have any good RHDs.
I also think Kiselevich always had the tools. He is the usual case of player expectations and how the team treated him not finding an overlaping square.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad