RD Andrew Peeke - Green Bay Gamblers, USHL (2016, 34th, CBJ)

Benso

Dec 4, 2013
1998 born right-handed defenseman. Listed at 6'3" 205 lbs I haven't seen him at all but I took notice of his stats last year, and he's had a good start in his first and only USHL season (GP 10 G 2 A 5 P 7), committed to U of Notre Dame for 2016-2017. I doubt he's just feeding off talented teammates cause Green Bay's leading scorer has 10 P. I'm guessing his skating might need work as nobody is talking at all about him, or maybe he's just flying under the radar. Any thoughts or viewings?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=291905

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Any-one think this guy could be a serious draft sleeper?

From what I have read and the highlights+ the 1 Hlinka game I have seen in full:

Big smooth-skating righty Dman. Has all the physical tools to succeed at the next level. A real athlete who would probably have excelled in whatever sport he chose to do when growing up. His defensive ability seems good for his age and he can really shut-down guys... which is understandable given his physical gifts. He also has a decent slap-shot and can wrist-shot it well too, and is useful on the PP. He is producing at a good rate in the USHL, best of draft eligible Dmen.

I mean, on skill-set alone you think a team would maybe take a punt on him in the 2nd round?

Any major flags? Not seen too much of him but is he inconsistent/low IQ guy? Cannot think of much else that would be held against him...

unless there is the train of thought that he is so good physically that it is that alone that allows him to have success at his age? And therefore he does not have much room to develop?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Any-one think this guy could be a serious draft sleeper?

From what I have read and the highlights+ the 1 Hlinka game I have seen in full:

Big smooth-skating righty Dman. Has all the physical tools to succeed at the next level. A real athlete who would probably have excelled in whatever sport he chose to do when growing up. His defensive ability seems good for his age and he can really shut-down guys... which is understandable given his physical gifts. He also has a decent slap-shot and can wrist-shot it well too, and is useful on the PP. He is producing at a good rate in the USHL, best of draft eligible Dmen.

I mean, on skill-set alone you think a team would maybe take a punt on him in the 2nd round?

Any major flags? Not seen too much of him but is he inconsistent/low IQ guy? Cannot think of much else that would be held against him...

unless there is the train of thought that he is so good physically that it is that alone that allows him to have success at his age? And therefore he does not have much room to develop?

big time riser. kid reminds me some of Paul Mara, raw but skilled with size. I think he has a legit shot at the US WJC team next year as his size and skillset make him coveted for a 3rd pair role. Needs to show what he can do against tougher competition, but second round shouldn't be far-fetched at this point. hope Hawks take a snab at him, we could use him in a few years on the backend.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
big time riser. kid reminds me some of Paul Mara, raw but skilled with size. I think he has a legit shot at the US WJC team next year as his size and skillset make him coveted for a 3rd pair role. Needs to show what he can do against tougher competition, but second round shouldn't be far-fetched at this point. hope Hawks take a snab at him, we could use him in a few years on the backend.

That is actually nice to hear... it was obviously hard to tell from the one full game (highlights ofc never really show these things) if he was a guy who was raw or simply very mature/developed/polished for his age with little room for growth going forward as a player.

Being a righty as well makes him even more interesting... Flyers are flush with Dmen, but his upside is definitely NHL top 4 level and a guy with that size+athletic ability is really intriguing... and the type of Dman the NHL is moving towards.

Also another young guy with talent from a 'non-traditional' market... Florida. Actually from a town only a stones throw from where Gostisbehere is from! Margate & Parkland are also virtually equidistant from Sunrise.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He was probably the best Dman in the USHL top prospects game yesterday... or at least 2nd best (Mitch Eliot, U18 US captain at the Hlinka, played well too.)

Just really steady, obviously fantastic physical skills and very mistake free, always making right play and he also helped create a great play on a tic-tac-toe goal.

Have to think he goes in the 2nd really.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
how high end is his skill set?

I think his ceiling is a 2nd pairing guy.

Really smooth skater, nice shot (both slap and wrist) and yesterday (the second full game I have seen of him) his passing was constantly right on point.

He just seems to have all the attributes you could want in a modern NHL Dman. Especially as he is 6'3 and 205lbs to boot!

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
yea hes someone ive been keeping an eye on, he was solid at the U19's and Hlinka.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Watched him live last night. He moves so well for a big guy. I would describe him as a steady Eddie. He doesnt have one specific tool he is exceptional at, but I dont see any glaring weaknesses either.

I have liked him in my 2 live viewings this season.

mynameistickle

Sep 9, 2009
Richmond, VA
Peeke played amazing defensive hockey in the win this past weekend over UMass-Lowell. He even broke up a 3 on 1 oppertunity for the Riverhawks. His play has been outstanding and thoroughly impressed me. His thread totally deserves a bump and some chatter. A lot of people hated the pick when Columbus snatched him up with the likes of Kyrou, DeBrincat, Dahlen and Kuokkanen still on the board but you don't find smooth skating defenseman with this kind of frame and a right handed shot every day.

I didn't get to watch much ND hockey this season but from what I've seen I've been thoroughly impressed. Anyone else who has viewed him more have any additional input?

Can't wait to watch him skate in the Frozen Four next weekend in Chicago! UD is a huge challenge but I think they could give them a run for their money!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure why anyone would hate the Peeke.

30 points in 56 games in the USHL is fantastic production for a draft-eligible defenseman. In the higher scoring CHL, that kind of production is worth at least 40 points in the same amount of games, which might have garnered him a lot more hype.

That production belonged to a big bodied, smooth-skating, '98 born, two-way, right-handed defenseman. Was a great Peeke at 34.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad