RD Alexandre Carrier (2015, 115th, NSH)

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
I didn't see a topic about him, and I really think he is a solid prospect for the next NHL draft. He is very solid in his own end, and he has first pairing potential.

He did not produce that much in the Q, but I really think that next year, he will start to produce more than what he did as of today.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
oops, sorry, a mistake, it's obviously 2015 draft!

Could a mod edit my title please?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
oops, sorry, a mistake, it's obviously 2015 draft!

Could a mod edit my title please?
Yeah, I'll edit 2014-->2015 and LD-->RD, as Carrier's also a right-handed shot.

480034423.jpg

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I saw him quite a bit. Really, really sound defensively according to every Junior standard -- even moreso for not-eligible-yet standards. Already the 1st D-Men on a pretty decent team in the Q, logged quite a bit of minutes and plays in all situation, even though he wasn't necessarily the go-to guy on the PP.

Probably not done growing up too. My guess is he spent last season at 5'11.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
No, but he has a older brother (Samuel) drafted by Washington i think.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Real stud, really high on Carrier.

Has huge upside with great passing, puck moving abilities, vision and IQ, as well as very good defensive game, positioning and mobility. Leader and minutes logger for his team in the Q.

A 1st round talent IMO. My favorite Q defenseman for the draft after J.Roy.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This guy...i like this guy. Really impressed with what i've seen.

Such a puck moving machine. Seems to be logging huge minutes, great crisp passes, great anticipation of the play offensively and defensively, impressive vision. Excellent mobility, covers a ton of ice, very willing to jump into the play offensively this year, doesn't shy away from the rougher stuff.

Shot seems a bit underwhelming, and he's obviously on the small side. But i really like Carrier's potential. Gonna be a guy to watch imo.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
I saw this kid play 5-6 times this year and every time, I came extremelly impressed.

Not the biggest guy , 5,11 168, (on the QHL website) but he plays like a 1rst round player.

I am not a scout but if I was a QMJHL general manager ( I said QMJHL not NHL) and someone was offering to choose between him and Jeremy Roy. I would go for Carrier.

Last edited:

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
This prospect needs more love. Before this year, he was known for his great defensive play. He was the #1 D for Gatineau as a late 17 years old. This year, he was still great defensively, but on top of that, he finished 3rd in points for Dmen in the whole league. I still think he will be known as a defensive D in the future, but he is impressive. For me, he is definitely ahead of Nicolas Meloche for this year draft.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This prospect needs more love. Before this year, he was known for his great defensive play. He was the #1 D for Gatineau as a late 17 years old. This year, he was still great defensively, but on top of that, he finished 3rd in points for Dmen in the whole league. I still think he will be known as a defensive D in the future, but he is impressive. For me, he is definitely ahead of Nicolas Meloche for this year draft.

Agreed. I know a lot of folks are scared off by his size, but he's not that tiny. He's very Kris Letang/Tyson Barrie sized, he'll fill out more in time. And i can really see him projecting as that sort of player at the next level. He is lacking that big boomer of a shot, but the shot he does have...he gets through to the net well. His puck moving ability is just superb though, whether he's skating it out himself or making beautiful outlet passes, 5 footers or the home run stretches. And he looks extremely comfortable manning the top of an umbrella PP where he's bound to pick up points if he can transition that to the next level.

I don't know about being known as a defensive D in the future...i would disagree on that...i think he's going to have to make his way to the next level as a puck-mover. He's just too good at it, even if that doesn't translate to a stud offensive producer...i think that's his niche.

Though, like you're saying...his defensive game is wildly underrated imo. I think a lot of people see a "small defenceman" producing like that and assume he's an "offensive guy". And he can do that too...But it's really his smooth defensive play that's always stood out to me though, as a foundation. He plays such an efficient small-man game as a defender...skates miles, always seems to know where the play is going...gets his stick in on everything. Needs to get a lot stronger, but i like his ability to consistently interrupt plays defensively using the tools he does have.

He's a solid 2nd rounder for me. Though i expect him to end up going later.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Agreed. I know a lot of folks are scared off by his size, but he's not that tiny. He's very Kris Letang/Tyson Barrie sized, he'll fill out more in time. And i can really see him projecting as that sort of player at the next level. He is lacking that big boomer of a shot, but the shot he does have...he gets through to the net well. His puck moving ability is just superb though, whether he's skating it out himself or making beautiful outlet passes, 5 footers or the home run stretches. And he looks extremely comfortable manning the top of an umbrella PP where he's bound to pick up points if he can transition that to the next level.

I don't know about being known as a defensive D in the future...i would disagree on that...i think he's going to have to make his way to the next level as a puck-mover. He's just too good at it, even if that doesn't translate to a stud offensive producer...i think that's his niche.

Though, like you're saying...his defensive game is wildly underrated imo. I think a lot of people see a "small defenceman" producing like that and assume he's an "offensive guy". And he can do that too...But it's really his smooth defensive play that's always stood out to me though, as a foundation. He plays such an efficient small-man game as a defender...skates miles, always seems to know where the play is going...gets his stick in on everything. Needs to get a lot stronger, but i like his ability to consistently interrupt plays defensively using the tools he does have.

He's a solid 2nd rounder for me. Though i expect him to end up going later.

Yeah, he is also a great puck mover. What I meant is he would probably have a Tanev type of career (Not necessarily at the same level), as a great defensive defensemen, who has great skating, with great puck moving ability, but lack some strength and not too much offensive game.

I mean, if his offensive game develop to the NHL, that is even better. But a guy like Vlasic was PPG at 18 years old in the Q, and only has one 30+ points season. He is still a great dmen known for his defensive play.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
I'd say Roy is better. So much hockey IQ, and his skating is clearly not as bad as some people say. I'd say Roy has the potential to be a near elite Dmen while Carrier has the potential to be a great #2. Now will they reach their potential is another question.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, he is also a great puck mover. What I meant is he would probably have a Tanev type of career (Not necessarily at the same level), as a great defensive defensemen, who has great skating, with great puck moving ability, but lack some strength and not too much offensive game.

I mean, if his offensive game develop to the NHL, that is even better. But a guy like Vlasic was PPG at 18 years old in the Q, and only has one 30+ points season. He is still a great dmen known for his defensive play.

Yeah, fair enough. That's certainly a reasonable take. Projecting how offensive production in defencemen will translate can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Though i believe Vlasic's PPG season was his draft+1 was it not? And on a team with some crazy productive forwards as well. As opposed to less than half a ppg in his draft year? That makes a difference for me. Carrier is such a big part of the production on that Gatineau team as well this year (3rd on the entire team in scoring?), it's really impressive to me. The numbers compare pretty favourably to a guy like Letang even, at the same stage, and i can absolutely see a lot of it translating. Though probably not to that same level.

Ultimately, i think just his "quarterbacking" ability on the PP alone sets him a bit apart from a guy like Tanev in terms of projection. He's a guy that a drafting team is going to eventually hope to have manning a powerplay unit for them at least, which in itself, i'd expect to lead to some more offensive results. He also just looks far more comfortable and in charge with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone to me.

Either way though, even if the offensive production doesn't fully translate at the next level, you're absolutely right, in that i think you've still got a solid all-around defenceman prospect. He's not strictly a "small offensive defenceman" type. He's a go-to guy in defensive situations, penalty kill, defending leads, etc. with Gatineau, and for good reason.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Bump

I like Jeremy Roy more but I'm a big fan of Carrier as well. Roy reminds me of Letang, who does Carrier remind you guys of?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Bump

I like Jeremy Roy more but I'm a big fan of Carrier as well. Roy reminds me of Letang, who does Carrier remind you guys of?

Yeah, there are hints of a Letang sort of game. The others i like are a Tyson Barrie or Brian Campbell (minus the huge open ice hits) comparison. That sort of player...projects somewhere in that sort of style for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad