RD Aleksi Heimosalmi - Ässät U20 Pori, U20 SM-sarja (2021, 44th, CAR)

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Has yet to play in Liiga. Is it his intention to play college hockey in the US?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
hockey prospect has this guy 16th in april. anyone have a few views on him?

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Biggest surprise for me in this tournament. Has been Finlands best defender without doubt. Even if I consider Malinen as a top prospect and before Heimosalmi I must say he has been a lot better than Suomi and Vilén in this tournament. I like his game more than Juusolas as well.
Always active, has some flair and he is surprising me with his confidence. Which is a good thing in his future career.
Without doubt our best player against the Swiss. I´m sure he will get the trust from Finnish management together with Malinen to play WJC`s next year if the progress continues.

Who knows? Perhaps there could be a future top4 in this late riser?

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Smart player who can skate and has skill. I was happy for him that he continued to perform well and carried it to the big event. Got some of the credit he has deserved all season long. I'm guessing he'll make Bob's top 100 in July. :nod:

Reactions: DaveG

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Playing in the Assat Pori system, Aleksi Heimosalmi was an alternate captain on the Under-20 league affiliate this past season. This shows impressive leadership qualities as he only turned 18 in May. The young defenceman put up four goals and 17 assists for 21 points in 35 games. He was held pointless in two playoff games though. Heimosalmi was part of the Finnish team at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships in Plano, Texas. He was extremely impressive, scoring two goals and six assists for eight points in seven games, leading the tournament in points by a defenceman. Heimosalmi was named a top-three player on his team, the top defenceman in the tournament, and the tournament all-star team.

Heimosalmi spent most of 2019-20 in the Finnish Under-18 league. He scored seven goals and eight assists for 15 points in 25 games. He also appeared in three games in the Under-20 league. Heimosalmi was part of Team Finland at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He picked up one assist in five tournament games. According to Elite Prospects, Heimosalmi recently signed a three-year contract extension with Assat. He is expected to play in the SM Liiga next season.

2021 NHL Draft #59: Aleksi Heimosalmi Scouting Report

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
From being a relative unknown - at least in terms of the HF Boards - in April to the first Finnish player selected in the draft.

Is this more of a reflection on the other players from Finland like Raty and Tuomaala or a testament to the potential for Heimosalmi?

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
From being a relative unknown - at least in terms of the HF Boards - in April to the first Finnish player selected in the draft.

Is this more of a reflection on the other players from Finland like Raty and Tuomaala or a testament to the potential for Heimosalmi?

More about the potential. He is bit higher in the potential department than Tuomaala, Räty and Koivunen but will probably take around 3-4(1-2 years in Liiga, 1-2 years in AHL) years before he will hit the ice. If he hits his ceiling, then you got insane playmaking defender who is one of the better skaters/playmakers in this draft who can also play physichal game. One of the better skaters in this draft. He is kinda raw though but he got a good toolbox to develop.

Reactions: DaveG

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Complete and utter letdown in this years WJC. If it's Lämsäs failure as a coach and his system, or really bad teammates? Who knows. But if this would be his actual level for now? He's damn overrated.
Hesitates, holds on to the puck for long in bad situations, lacks creativity and his defending is not worth mentioning.
He's nothing compared to Jokiharju, Laaksonen nor Niemelä at the same age.
More like Thomson or Anttoni Honka for me, but without Honka cheekiness in the offense.
For now he's only a right handed who's able to skate somewhat good. I hope I'm wrong.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Complete and utter letdown in this years WJC. If it's Lämsäs failure as a coach and his system, or really bad teammates? Who knows. But if this would be his actual level for now? He's damn overrated.
Hesitates, holds on to the puck for long in bad situations, lacks creativity and his defending is not worth mentioning.
He's nothing compared to Jokiharju, Laaksonen nor Niemelä at the same age.
More like Thomson or Anttoni Honka for me, but without Honka cheekiness in the offense.
For now he's only a right handed who's able to skate somewhat good. I hope I'm wrong.
Is he really overrated if this is the 5th post in this thread since he was drafted? The most hyping done in this thread is from you two years ago :laugh:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Is he really overrated if this is the 5th post in this thread since he was drafted? The most hyping done in this thread is from you two years ago :laugh:

Well since he went in the 2nd round and Canes signed him right away, I'd say his lack of devopment is quite should be a big concern. Hasn't really improved at all since being drafted.

Reactions: Svedu

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
I mean compared to last season in Liiga he has improved quite a bit with a more mature and calm playstyle etc.. Disappointing WJC so far though obviously compared to last one and the game he had shown in Liiga more recently, but also think he's gotten less worse/nervous/whatever as this team, that overall just feels like a bit of a mess, has gone along.

All that homerism aside though he's clearly a work in progress, and personally wouldn't make grand statements or be super concerned just yet because of these games from this mid-2nd round defenseman from 1.5 years ago.

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Lmao. True.

I meant from the perspective of this years roster and it's level and that he should be able to stand out. I think a lot of people thought he would be among our best D's this year and well, he's been a disaster ever since the exhibition against Canada.
Fumbling and undecisive with no vision in his game and plays, so far that is.

"Jabba Jabba", always liking posters who answer me 😂 Love it.

Well since he went in the 2nd round and Canes signed him right away, I'd say his lack of devopment is quite should be a big concern. Hasn't really improved at all since being drafted.
Great post. Exactly this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad