RC Rickard Rakell (2011, 30th overall, Anaheim)

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Rickard Rakell - Plymouth Whalers, OHL

Liked this kid in the games I've seen so far in the WJC (Sweden), I think he's elegible for this draft.

Which round is he projected to be drafted?

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
I vaguely recall people said he could go "late first-early second".

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I vaguely recall people said he could go "late first-early second".

That seems high to me, and I have really really liked what I have seen from him.

But why is he wearing a cage? I thought players that were eligible for 2012 (Frk) would be only wearing cages.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
That seems high to me, and I have really really liked what I have seen from him.

But why is he wearing a cage? I thought players that were eligible for 2012 (Frk) would be only wearing cages.

Rakell is 17. Playing in Sweden or representing Sweden, you wear a cage until you're 18. I think.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
If youre still eligible for the U18 than you wear a cage...

So basically 16 and 17 year olds...so 1993's and 1994's...

Well Couturier must just miss the cutoff because he is "in his 17 year old season".

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Pleasantly surprised by this kid. Where he goes in the draft will be depending on how he does in OHL I guess. He has been on a almost ppg pace so far (27g, 25p), so it would be no chock if he was taken in the second round or so.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Well in regards to his NHL draft year it's his 17 year old season.

He is in his CHL 18 year old season...when you say things like He is in his '17 year old season for the NHL draft' it makes no sense at all.

Hes a late bday 1992...so he is eligible for the NHL draft but he is considered an 18 year old player...he isnt eligible for the U18...

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
He is in his CHL 18 year old season...when you say things like He is in his '17 year old season for the NHL draft' it makes no sense at all.

Hes a late bday 1992...so he is eligible for the NHL draft but he is considered an 18 year old player...he isnt eligible for the U18...

No he's born 93

Madic

May 21, 2008
Why do people not think he's got what it takes for the first round? His stats aren't bad, he's not small, he's got good speed and great hands...there doesn't seem to be a major knock.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Why do people not think he's got what it takes for the first round? His stats aren't bad, he's not small, he's got good speed and great hands...there doesn't seem to be a major knock.

Landeskog stealing all attention:sarcasm:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

I don't know, how is he doing on his club team for example? For the scouts, the WJC's is only a small small sample. Swedes know pretty much nothing about him, but he's taking a bigger role on this team than I ever thought he would, even him making it out of the camp was a smaller surprise.

Madic

May 21, 2008
I don't know, how is he doing on his club team for example? For the scouts, the WJC's is only a small small sample. Swedes know pretty much nothing about him, but he's taking a bigger role on this team than I ever thought he would, even him making it out of the camp was a smaller surprise.
No kidding? I mean I had no clue who he was until a few weeks ago, but I figured the Swedes here would be all over it, with the WJC invite and whatnot.

I've only seen Plymouth the once this year and I wasn't really paying attention to the game (television, not in person), so I can't say how complete a game he's playing...but there is general draft buzz concerning his hands/speed. He had the #1 highlight of the week recently for a between-the-legs goal, and a couple other game-winners.

Murph72Bs

Jan 5, 2009
Boston, MA
Rickard Rakell

I know very little about him and was hoping someone could tell me something about this kid. He is now 30th on ISS 34th on CSS and TSN has him 20th on their respective lists. I appreciate any info that anyone has on him, thanks.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
His last name is spelled Rakell. I can't say anything about his play with the Plymouth Whalers, but I think he played really well in the WJC where he had three assists. He was the only '93-born player for Sweden (defenseman Jonas Brodin was named to the final roster as the eighth defenseman but didn't play).

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
From what I read, it seems like Rakell a smart, high-enery forward that will finish his hits and create chances on the forecheck.

But if I had a late first rounder, I wouldn't mind picking Rakell as he seems like the safe type of prospect who will most likely turn into a very good 3rd liner but also has had some offensive outburst lately to have scouts wondering if he can develop some offensive game.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Lacks both high-end skill and consistency (from my limited exposure). If I was scout, I'd tag him a late 2nd rounder.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Lacks both high-end skill and consistency (from my limited exposure). If I was scout, I'd tag him a late 2nd rounder.

That's not really truth. He's very skilled. Not very consistent, but well he's 17.

member 30781

I was at the WJC this year and saw Rakell play. Honestly speaking, he didnt impress me. I don't think he should be a first rounder in this draft. There are players with better talent and a more well-rounded game than his that should be selected. As MXD said, I would pick him in the later portion of the 2nd round, probably even let him slip into the 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad