RC Matt Schmalz - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2014 undrafted)

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
He's an 18 year old 6'6 / 210 lbs center for Sudbury. He was an invite to the Habs rookie camp last summer and IMHO his play was quite strong. He's got 22 points (16 goals) in 30 games so far which is a dramatic improvement over his numbers last year, I'm hoping he will continue to develop by leaps and bounds as he grows into his frame. Is there anybody who can offer a better scouting report on his strengths, weaknesses and maybe career potential? Any chance Montreal might actually offer him a contract this summer?

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
Judging by his stats last year, he has little to no offensive potential. With only 3 goals and 8 points, I don't think he'd even crack an ECHL lineup. Sean Day, a 15 year old D, had twice as many points as Schmalz. His defensive play also seems to be pretty weak, as he's hovered around -20 for the last few years. I doubt Schmalz ever gets close to the NHL, as he's not exactly an enforcer type player, but anyways enforcers are dying. He was billed as a 1st round pick before he played in the OHL, and it all went downhill from there.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Judging by his stats last year, he has little to no offensive potential. With only 3 goals and 8 points, I don't think he'd even crack an ECHL lineup. Sean Day, a 15 year old D, had twice as many points as Schmalz. His defensive play also seems to be pretty weak, as he's hovered around -20 for the last few years. I doubt Schmalz ever gets close to the NHL, as he's not exactly an enforcer type player, but anyways enforcers are dying. He was billed as a 1st round pick before he played in the OHL, and it all went downhill from there.

His vastly improved numbers this year at least indicate that he's improved quite a bit since then, no?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
One of the few bright spots for the Wolves this season.

He looks much better this year and has been one of the most improved players in the league this year (not like anyone notices though, since it's Sudbury).

He's finally using his size consistently in the offensive end and has been very good in front of the net, especially on the powerplay. Has good hands in close and is now strong enough to win those battles so that he can show it. He's also looking much more confident with the puck this year, no longer handling it like a hand grenade.

I think he's one of the top re-entry candidates for the OHL this year.

Analyzer*

I think people viewed him as being soft, even if he were 5'9 he would have been considered soft.

Maybe being at the camp made him believe in himself and sense that he was that close, so he has new motivation ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad