• Starting a riot

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Edmonton fan starting today

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
About the jersey specifically, yes now. The jersey wasn't like this before, and it is now. I fully understand that we as fans do not control team operations.
Well don't expect everyone to not make business deals based on your romanticized view of the organization.
I don't expect that. I had a small bit of hope that the long-term branding value analysis would convince them to hold off because they make a lot of money off the team in part because they base their branding on history and heritage so much, but I have assumed this was coming since the moment they announced teams could sell ads. Understanding this stuff doesn't make me any less pissed off that they did it.

It is what it is. I've said all I really have to say on the topic and I understand/"agree" with the points you've brought up about the business and the fact teams are out to make money so I don't have any rebuttal to any of that stuff, I used to work in marketing and I get it, I just hate it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nobody likes ads, it’s a given. Only thing worse is more ads, assuming someone has an aversion to them to begin with.

But, Habs are a private business and if this is how they choose to market their product, it’s their prerogative. If ever the ads become too intrusive for me, I’ll see what else is playing on another channel.

When they introduced ads on helmets, owners claimed that it was in response to the loss of revenue on account of the pandemic. Instead of that, it was only a test run to gauge fan reaction and how quickly they’d get over it. And of course, a lot of fans were grateful that the jerseys were not involved and many believed the helmet ads would shield the jerseys from ad crawl.

I heard a media expert on 98.5 FM this past week say that this is only the beginning. He cited one NHL owner who had a past in NASCAR, say that when he found out owners were voting on ads for jerseys, he expressed elation as he initially believed that his fellow owners were opening the door to multiple ads on jerseys, like race drivers typically adorn on their racing suits.

The media expert did not name this owner but he could probably be identified. I guess it only means that owners in lower revenue markets will not be able to forego yet another revenue stream for their business.

The media expert also added that there is technology that allows for ads to be superimposed on goal netting and that too is likely on its way.

The only questions will then be, which parts of an NHL arena don’t have ads, why and for how long more. As long as fans keep buying in, there will always be room for more.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Nobody likes ads, it’s a given. Only thing worse is more ads, assuming someone has an aversion to them to begin with.

But, Habs are a private business and if this is how they choose to market their product, it’s their prerogative. If ever the ads become too intrusive for me, I’ll see what else is playing on another channel.

When they introduced ads on helmets, owners claimed that it was in response to the loss of revenue on account of the pandemic. Instead of that, it was only a test run to gauge fan reaction and how quickly they’d get over it. And of course, a lot of fans were grateful that the jerseys were not involved and many believed the helmet ads would shield the jerseys from ad crawl.

I heard a media expert on 98.5 FM this past week say that this is only the beginning. He cited one NHL owner who had a past in NASCAR, say that when he found out owners were voting on ads for jerseys, he expressed elation as he initially believed that his fellow owners were opening the door to multiple ads on jerseys, like race drivers typically adorn on their racing suits.

The media expert did not name this owner but he could probably be identified. I guess it only means that owners in lower revenue markets will not be able to forego yet another revenue stream for their business.

The media expert also added that there is technology that allows for ads to be superimposed on goal netting and that too is likely on its way.

The only questions will then be, which parts of an NHL arena don’t have ads, why and for how long more. As long as fans keep buying in, there will always be room for more.

Bettman's future replacement made this presentation at the last BoG meeting where they talked about broadcasters ad spaces:

FQ0-NIDMVc-AEDkj-F-jpeg.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bettman's future replacement made this presentation at the last BoG meeting where they talked about broadcasters ad spaces:

FQ0-NIDMVc-AEDkj-F-jpeg.jpg
I’d go up to 95% of my visual field covered in ads, so long as I could witness others experiencing seizures in real time.

Reality TV, man. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
About the jersey specifically, yes now. The jersey wasn't like this before, and it is now. I fully understand that we as fans do not control team operations.
Especially not the part of operations that controls the money flow.
I don't expect that. I had a small bit of hope that the long-term branding value analysis would convince them to hold off because they make a lot of money off the team in part because they base their branding on history and heritage so much, but I have assumed this was coming since the moment they announced teams could sell ads. Understanding this stuff doesn't make me any less pissed off that they did it.
On a side note, i'm hoping this new management brings a new era.

That's history and heritage thing is stale man.
It is what it is. I've said all I really have to say on the topic and I understand/"agree" with the points you've brought up about the business and the fact teams are out to make money so I don't have any rebuttal to any of that stuff, I used to work in marketing and I get it, I just hate it.
Yeah I get it, not sure if it's because i've been desensitized to it, as i've mentioned several times, i'm a big european football fan, so this isn't as jarring to me as it seemingly is to others (which I think for most, is mostly a mountain out of a molehill).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad