Speculation: RBAs next contract

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Rod has earned the right to coach here as long as he wants. The man helped us win our first cup and now has helped us rise to prominence among hockey clubs that normally hate us.

5 years is a good long time, and this likely could be Rods last ride. I still believe that he is a good coach and as long as we make the playoffs every year we have a chance to win the cup.

Next year is gonna be a transition year and after that we get to see if Nikishin comes over.

I'm excited to see how Rod can help the young man develop.

Let's go Canes!
He'll probably make him stop hitting people...we don't like too much physicality

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Literally every time I've asked, no one has a clue who runs the PP. I've heard Daniels, I've heard Brindamour, I've heard both.

But considering we're obviously not letting Brindamour go, that leaves one person who should be falling on the sword for those PP results
Is it normal for who runs the PP to be this unclear in the NHL?

JustPenalties

Jan 17, 2024
Yeah, 5 years is a good length. If we still don't have a SCF appearance in that time, I think even Rod would agree a new voice is needed
If we dont win a Cup in 5 years.. well, window might allready be closed after 5 years. I dont like this extension, not at all.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Man, I actually think goalie coaching was a very bright spot for us this year. The way we rebounded after Raanta collapsed and Freddie went out and we needed to dumpster dive for Martin speaks to very good coaching.

As for the playoffs, Brindy is the one controlling who plays when, so that's on him. And there's little you can do to coach away the mental mistakes Freddie showed late. That's just one player crumbling under bright lights
I mean I guess we can give him credit for getting the goalies not to give up a goal every 3-5 shots like they were for a couple months. But that shit happened under his tenure. As did Freddy's mental collapse.

IDK what the answer is. I guess we just ride it out.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
As expected, the reports before the 2nd round were all fabricated bullshit

No, they weren't. From the man himself.

He says they hit a snag near the end, which got out and caused the hubbub before the 2nd round.

Again, reporters and insiders don't just make shit up for shits and giggles. They report what they're told from their sources.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
snag doesnt equal very much in doubt.

again even rod said made it bigger than it was.

guys need rumors to keep their views up and they exaggerated to get the views.

Semantics.

Based on every report that's been out there, here's my best guess as to what's happened.

- Rod and Don set up a preliminary contract in September. Both sides agree they want to continue to work together and agree the details will be worked out at a later date.

- Regular season ends, they revisit it. Rod is focused on getting his staff set up, but in the process, his potential new salary somehow gets out to his friends and family. It is (again) far less than what a coach of his caliber should be making.

- They know Rod doesn't care one way or the other, but they feel he's being taken advantage of. They raise a stink in the media about it.

- The original preliminary contract with the low salary is pulled from the table and a new one is quickly worked out.

I feel this matches the timeline of what Rod said and the timing of the various reports.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
No, they weren't. From the man himself.

He says they hit a snag near the end, which got out and caused the hubbub before the 2nd round.

Again, reporters and insiders don't just make shit up for shits and giggles. They report what they're told from their sources.

They report what stirs the pot and gets the most clicks/engagement...right, wrong, or indifferent. "Semantics" as you say, but often intentionally done so they can claim they weren't lying or being dishonest while being intentionally disingenuous or misleading. Partial truth or "technically true" is still not really truth, just like lying by omission...It's just the world we live in these days with any media sources

Reactions: cptjeff

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I am someone who is always down to get hung up on semantics. Words mean things. Also, context means things.

The story was absolutely fabricated bullshit - but, i'll call it 99% fabricated bullshit built on a 1% nugget of truth. as rba described it, a "hiccup" in the negotiations. my only issue was the use of the word "pulled" which given how it was presented was the fabricated bullshit. it was - and this is just my reading of it - strongly suggested as some impasse that had the canes leave the table and things looked like a split was better than a 50/50 shot. but i guess given the choice between these headlines:

"Canes Pull Brind'Amour Contract Offer"
or
"Negotiations Ongoing, All Sides Expect to Work Through 'Hiccup'"

if i'm monetizing clicks, it is a pretty easy choice. who cares if you know it is at best disingenuous and at worst pure bad faith action?

either way, the whole thing is over and the only real losers are the leaf/whatever fans that convinced themselves rod was going to be theirs.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Waddell confirms it again during his CBJ presser

The story that ran before R2 was bullshit

That doesn’t do anything to negate the story that ran before round 2. Because the story before round 2 was that they had a contract worked out, “something happened”, and that original contract was pulled.

If you believe the rumors (and my source has been pretty reliable, for what it’s worth), what happened is that Dundon got sticker shock over the new deal and went over Waddell’s head to attempt to negotiate a new deal with Rod.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
That doesn’t do anything to negate the story that ran before round 2. Because the story before round 2 was that they had a contract worked out, “something happened”, and that original contract was pulled.

If you believe the rumors (and my source has been pretty reliable, for what it’s worth), what happened is that Dundon got sticker shock over the new deal and went over Waddell’s head to attempt to negotiate a new deal with Rod.

Did Rod renegotiate or did he hold fast? And is that why Waddell is now in C-bus

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Did Rod renegotiate or did he hold fast? And is that why Waddell is now in C-bus

No idea on what Rod did. IIRC, Friedman or one of the other talking heads mentioned Brindamour's new contract was in line with other coaches of his caliber.

As far as Waddell goes, my understanding is Dundon's alleged move with regards to Rod's contract was the straw that broke the camel's back. There was other things Waddell wasn't entirely thrilled about, but that made it easier for Waddell to simply not entertain a new contract.

• Wow
Reactions: chaz4hockey

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That's a damn solid interview. Also, an interview by a guy who is very careful with his word. It was nice to hear him give kudos to both Don and Ronnie regarding his preparation for his responsibilities, both current and future.

The one thing I saw in that interview that worried me is the comment about how they’re a “lean front office, and everybody has a lot to do and has a lot of responsibility. And when we lost somebody, now it’s even leaner. And that means everybody needs to help and everybody gets leaned on a little bit more.”

I’ve worked retail before. I know that song and dance. Somebody quits suddenly, everyone takes on additional work, the higher ups say they’ll hire someone to replace the one who quit. Months go by, no replacement comes and those remaining feel the burnout from the additional work, leading to more quitting.

I still stop by the Harris Teeter I worked at. When I worked there, they had myself and 3 other stockers working Grocery and 3 stockers working Frozen. Today, there’s 3 stockers total, working both Grocery and Frozen. And the only one remaining from my time there is only there because he’s been told he’s up for a managerial position, something that they keep pushing back the timeline for. I hope it works out for him, but he’s been “up for that position” for a while now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad