Speculation: RBAs next contract

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Yeah this is the thing where cap doesn't matter and you shut up and pay the man.

How many other franchises have t shirts with the coach on them in the store.

Every single success this team has had, RBA was there as a huge part of it. Every one.

This is Jack Adams level tenure we're talking here. A 5 year contract will put him where Cooper is now with tbl.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
As I believe was said earlier in the season, this isn't about the $$ Rod is getting; he's pushing (again) for raises for the assistants by leveraging his contract negotiations.

I don't see him coaching elsewhere, but he's going to get his coaches more money.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
just laughing at Dreger, Freidman and now TSN saying were arent close to a deal and 'future in doubt.' In fact the deal has been pulled according to Dreger. Dreger doesnt have the time of day for non traditional or canadian markets. okay, dreger.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Again, I expect it gets done, but this could have been avoided by getting it done long ago. And the whole test the market thing could be as simple as what Waddell had to do in order to get the deal he wanted. It'd just be nice if we didn't have to hear about this stuff now.

LBS I Digress

Jan 30, 2022
Diggin In
I agree this still gets done eventually, but it’s a little ridiculous that it’s been allowed to get to this point. We’re about to start round 2 of the playoffs next week and we’ve got national rumors floating around about our head coach’s status with the team next year.

Totally avoidable situation and considering how many players that also have to be resigned in the offseason, this feels like it would have been an easy thing to get out of the way considering how obvious it is that RBA wants to stay.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Again, I expect it gets done, but this could have been avoided by getting it done long ago.

I agree this still gets done eventually, but it’s a little ridiculous that it’s been allowed to get to this point.

How does the organization get this done earlier if Rod is the one insisting on taking care of his assistants? It is not like he doesn't know when their contracts are up. Unless you meant to say "this could all have been done earlier if the Canes just capitulated".

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Again, I expect it gets done, but this could have been avoided by getting it done long ago. And the whole test the market thing could be as simple as what Waddell had to do in order to get the deal he wanted. It'd just be nice if we didn't have to hear about this stuff now.
There is no testing the market on this. I've heard it directly, the deal is ready to be announced just as soon as Brindy signs the papers. The agreements are already there.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I agree this still gets done eventually, but it’s a little ridiculous that it’s been allowed to get to this point. We’re about to start round 2 of the playoffs next week and we’ve got national rumors floating around about our head coach’s status with the team next year.

Totally avoidable situation and considering how many players that also have to be resigned in the offseason, this feels like it would have been an easy thing to get out of the way considering how obvious it is that RBA wants to stay.
We don't like hearing about Rod being a great coach who might leave.

But from the inside, knowing the deal is going to get done, Dundon probably enjoys the free national and international media.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
There is no testing the market on this. I've heard it directly, the deal is ready to be announced just as soon as Brindy signs the papers. The agreements are already there.
I mean, that's great, and again it lines up with what I've said I expected. I'm sure there's way more than a nobody like me knows that goes into this stuff, but I'd rather it just have been signed and announced by now if it's that done.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Man some of you all have really bad PTSD when it comes to this franchise. The only person who got squeezed financially here is Forslund, and that was because he didn't want to play by the rules that everyone else on staff was playing by during COVID. And he wanted a full share while being allowed to work for a competitor (NBC) on his own schedule. That's it, everyone else has been taken care of.

How often has it been proven that the national media doesn't have a f***ing clue when it comes to the Canes. And of course this rumor now comes out right when we're getting ready to play the Rangers. Absolutely reeks of the "oh the Canes are about to move to QC" bullshit we used to hear right before we played Montreal back in the day. The media is desperate to cause a rift in our organization because they want NY moving on.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Man some of you all have really bad PTSD when it comes to this franchise. The only person who got squeezed financially here is Forslund, and that was because he didn't want to play by the rules that everyone else on staff was playing by during COVID. And he wanted a full share while being allowed to work for a competitor (NBC) on his own schedule. That's it, everyone else has been taken care of.

How often has it been proven that the national media doesn't have a f***ing clue when it comes to the Canes. And of course this rumor now comes out right when we're getting ready to play the Rangers. Absolutely reeks of the "oh the Canes are about to move to QC" bullshit we used to hear right before we played Montreal back in the day. The media is desperate to cause a rift in our organization because they want NY moving on.

“Tom Dundon playing hardball in contract negotiations” is FAR more believable than “There’s a conspiracy to disrupt the Canes because the media wants NY to advance.”

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Again, to me it's not about it getting done. That's always been the most likely outcome. Guess what keeps it from coming out right before we play the Rags? If it's already announced two months ago or before the last year of his contract begins. I defend the team and ownership on the majority of things (I didn't really care about Forlsund, Kaiton, or most other things like that) and I'm not even killing them on this. I'm sure there are machinations that are way above my head in this. At the same time, most other teams get these things done before they get to this point. Four coaches that just got fired had extensions that hadn't kicked in yet because teams get it done early. And we have a guy that isn't close to getting fired and the wait is this long. I don't think it's far fetched to say it could probably have been done quicker and/or better. If you have inside info that sheds light on why that's not the case, I'd be interested to hear. Again, I'm not really worried about him leaving, and I doubt this is a massive distraction, but it still seems like it does not need to exist at all.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Also true. But Dreger doesn’t seem like someone who would do something like that. He’s already one of the “big names” in hockey journalism. He doesn’t need to “fake things for clicks”
And yet they still do it. Same with Friedman, they do this shit all the time. They pass complete speculation and assumption off as fact all the time, but they have enough actual legit sources that people take everything they say as valid

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Also true. But Dreger doesn’t seem like someone who would do something like that. He’s already one of the “big names” in hockey journalism. He doesn’t need to “fake things for clicks”
No? Ok.

Look, there are a billion reasons for Rod to stay, as we have all discussed over and over and over. But if you think it's plausible that regular hardball negotiation means that Rod is getting ready to walk because Jeff Daniels isn't getting another $250k or whatever, feel free to catastrophize all you want.

RBA was Dundon's biggest bet. When everyone else said it was stupid, that guy pushed in his chips for Rod. It's the single best decision he ever made. He basically chose Brindy over Francis. Why do we have any reason, other than some half-ass rumor mongering, to believe that he has changed his mind one iota?

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
And yet they still do it. Same with Friedman, they do this shit all the time. They pass complete speculation and assumption off as fact all the time, but they have enough actual legit sources that people take everything they say as valid

Or, more likely, Rod’s agent leaked the report to Dreger, because he’s an agent and he’s trying to get Rod his money, and Dreger reported it. It’s no coincidence this came out an hour after Waddell stated he’s confident a deal will get done.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
just laughing at Dreger, Freidman and now TSN saying were arent close to a deal and 'future in doubt.' In fact the deal has been pulled according to Dreger. Dreger doesnt have the time of day for non traditional or canadian markets. okay, dreger.
this is the post.....doesn't align with DW's comments but then again that's what you would expect Donnie to say right now. FWIW: dumb that Ownership/DW haven't put this one to bed yet:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad