Rays going cashless.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
greed under the guise of "convenience"

long story short, banks dont make a dime on cash transactions...but if they can force everything to be electronic they can skim 1-3% off every transaction as a "service fee" and make even more money

Not only that but if there was only cashless, it means your belongings aren't under a pillow in a form of stacked 20s but in your bank account which, thanks to speculation, allows the banks to use your own money and ''lend it'' to others to make even more money.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Personally I use cash like 5%... almost all Electronic payment...EXCEPT when I go to the USA..only because our debit cards don’t work at US retailers (just ATMs) and I always get US cash in advance .
Probably not that many Canadians going to TB Rays games but still something that should be considered.
Same thing up here for US fans don’t think your debit machines work up here at retailers?
Mine worked just fine when I was covering the wjc in Saskatchewan a decade back.

Reactions: Roboturner913

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
So Rays fans... how's it working out?

I don't like tap even when I have it in my possession. Do I throw my credit card or phone and yell out my pins?

Seems high risk for a beer and some peanuts. Cards and phones flying left right and center.

Next time I'm in TB I'll go to a Rays games with a fishing net.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
That's the same Montreal that exceeded the average annual NL attendance five (5) times in 33 years, not including the Puerto Rico thing, right? The one that never averaged more than 29,000 attendees during their heyday in a stadium that was eventually reduced in the 90s to fit 45,000?

Montreal may get a return of the Expos, but let's not pretend the Expos were unjustly removed from the market. We can repeat Loria's name as much as we want, but the Expos were never one of the business success stories of the MLB even while they were a great team.
How often were they a good team?

They made the playoffs once during their time in Montreal. Was that the "heyday" you speak of?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Tell that to the proliferation of online vendors and automated payment methods.

Online operations is a separate thing to begin with of course you need a credit card for stuff like that. But i am talking about in an economy where there is a physical store that you can't buy goods cause you don't have a credit card. Last time i checked the US dollar current is a legal tender to buy good with. The idea that psychical business has a right to deny people the use of legal tender aka cash to buy goods is stupid.

So the idea the entire region economy on credit card only will never happen nor is it actually legal.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It's a fair point. It is inherently discriminatory to poorer people that don't have banking accounts.

Granted, attending baseball games isn't a necessity, but Rays games are dirt cheap to attend so a poor family having a game day or two a year doesn't seem as unsound financially to me.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
All this does is make the corporations that process electronic payments that much more in control of the means of monetary transaction. What happens when these companies inevitably go the way of all other growing, corporate businesses in that they eventually all come together as just one or two companies dominating the market and prohibit anyone else from getting in? As both a business and a consumer, the option to pay cash seems like something pretty much everyone should favor.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I prefer using a cashback credit card or a points card, but any major business should legally be forced to accept cash as payment.

Reactions: DoyleG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad