News Article: Ray Shero late-night Q&A on all things Iginla

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
...because the man deserves his own thread, dammit.

Link: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=662512

Excerpt:

I just talked to him after the fact. That was it. He agreed to waive and come to Pittsburgh. The trade conference call was done with the league. Everything was final. That was it. I talked to him a while ago after it. He said he was excited to come to Pittsburgh. He said he would help anyway he could, didn’t care about role or who he was playing with. He wants to help the team win and be a part of it. It was a big change after 16 years in Calgary so I’m sure it will be quite emotional. We have a month sort through the emotions, find some roles for guys, players accepting of those and playing good hockey.

The team on paper doesn’t mean too much. We have to do it on the ice. Chemistry for a hockey team is very important.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
The team on paper doesn’t mean too much. We have to do it on the ice. Chemistry for a hockey team is very important.

That quote by Shero is absolutely correct. The pressure is on Bylsma right now.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
That quote by Shero is absolutely correct. The pressure is on Bylsma right now.

100%. This secure's Sheros job for the forseeable future and puts Disco squarely on the hot-seat this playoff. He has EVERYTHING he needs to build a dominant team at this point. D depth out the yin-yang, good goalies, 4 elite forwards and some great complimentary offense guys. And a very good shut-down C. He has everything. If we don't make the EC Finals and take it to 7 games at a minimum you can start preparations to welcome a new coach this summer.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
That's one of the most disingenuous interviews I've ever seen, and it proves how this process was not a legitimate auction and Shero knew it. Like really, 2 middling prospects and a 1st was his absolute best offer and he had no idea of what Boston was offering?

I think Shero has know for a while now that this was a pre-ordained result. In that light, a lot of what's happened since the summer makes a lot more sense.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I'm still buzzing about this. Unfortunately I have a super busy day ahead of me and won't be able to catch up on all the stories/chatter today.

This was a good read though. Thanks for pulling this out for it's own post.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's one of the most disingenuous interviews I've ever seen, and it proves how this process was not a legitimate auction and Shero knew it. Like really, 2 middling prospects and a 1st was his absolute best offer and he had no idea of what Boston was offering?

I think Shero has know for a while now that this was a pre-ordained result. In that light, a lot of what's happened since the summer makes a lot more sense.

What are you talking about :laugh:

Do you honestly believe Shero knew in the summer, before the lockout and everything that happened, that Iginla was coming to Pittsburgh at the deadline?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Best of all Rossi got totally scooped, and owned after teh fact. Kasan was the guy Shero decided to talk to last night, and AFAICT the only guy. Maybe NHL Network will choose its contacts more carefully next time. :laugh:

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Why not? All it would take would be for Iginla to signal, through some or other channel, that he would be inclined to seek a trade to Pittsburgh. You could bank on it too because Iggy held all the power over the process.

You really believe that Hanowski, D'agostino and a 1st was Shero's final offer if it was really a true bidding process?

Plus, the Morrow for Morrow swap, which I think a lot of us found a little perplexing, makes a lot more sense if Shero knew he was going to be getting Iggy dirt cheap.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

What do you want to hear from him? That Iggy secretly told him where he wanted to go?

Maybe he was already prepared to not land Iginla and was OK with that and just made his best offer. He called Feaster's bluff pure and simple.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Or Feaster called Ray late last night and told him Iggy wants to play for Pittsburgh, at that point Ray knew he was in the driver seat and took advantage

nTsplnk*

What now Shero haters? Where you guys at?

That's what I thought. It will only take a few months and people will call for his head again and he'll shut everyone up again with another great trade.

IN RAY WE TRUST

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Guys maybe my phrasing gave the wrong impression. Not hating. Shero did nothing wrong and I'm fine with what he said. But I don't believe his account of what all happened.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why not? All it would take would be for Iginla to signal, through some or other channel, that he would be inclined to seek a trade to Pittsburgh. You could bank on it too because Iggy held all the power over the process.

You really believe that Hanowski, D'agostino and a 1st was Shero's final offer if it was really a true bidding process?

Plus, the Morrow for Morrow swap, which I think a lot of us found a little perplexing, makes a lot more sense if Shero knew he was going to be getting Iggy dirt cheap.

Shero knew it may be a possibility if Calgary wasn't seriously in the playoff hunt, but you are acting like it was already decided in July. Why wouldn't Calgary just do the deal then if that were the case?

Also, we traded Agostino the forward not D'agostini the defenseman. It wasn't a true bidding war process because Iginla had all the power. He limited the teams and it's not like Boston's reported offer was that much better anyway. Both GM's knew they had a good shot so they made reasonable offers and left it up to Iginla.

You are seriously reaching here.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Shero knew it may be a possibility if Calgary wasn't seriously in the playoff hunt, but you are acting like it was already decided in July. Why wouldn't Calgary just do the deal then if that were the case?

Also, we traded Agostino the forward not D'agostini the defenseman. It wasn't a true bidding war process because Iginla had all the power. He limited the teams and it's not like Boston's reported offer was that much better anyway. Both GM's knew they had a good shot so they made reasonable offers and left it up to Iginla.

You are seriously reaching here.

My bad, I knew it was one of the stinos. But yeah of course it couldn't possibly be 100% but he knew it had a very, very good chance of happening.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Guys maybe my phrasing gave the wrong impression. Not hating. Shero did nothing wrong and I'm fine with what he said. But I don't believe his account of what all happened.

I'm willing to humor this theory. I mean honestly, what would people be saying if the B's got Iginla and Shero's "best" offer of a first and 2 prospects came to light?

They'd be saying, "Overpaid on Morrow, kick in the balls for Iginla." It's believable that Shero knew a lot more than he is willing to admit (can't really say I blame him though).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
What did Rossi do now?

I dunno, but did you happen to hear Rossi on 590 this morning?

HOLY **** I swear he must be sleeping with Pacal Dupuis. Spent 5 minutes of a 10-minute hit talking about how good Dupuis is and how he can't be moved off the 1st line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad