Ray Shero Hired By Lamorello To Replace Himself As GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Yeah I'm not saying he was a reach, I am saying using hindsight (which others have done to defend the trade) it was clearly the wrong pick. Not using hindsight, Kessel was the right pick IMO. You already have 2 potentially all world centers and a game breaking goal scoring winger is available to you. That's a no brainer in my opinion.

Yes I know 3 center model and stuff, but I disagree with that team building philosophy. A guy picked number 2 overall isn't likely to want to stay a 3rd line center their whole career. Staal wanting to leave for a bigger opportunity shouldn't have surprised anyone. You don't get many opportunities at a top 5 pick. When you do and there are 4 guys rated pretty evenly, you go for the best fit for the team short and long term. That would have been a winger IMO.

Using hindsight I'd say that Kessel would have been the wrong pick, guys a cancer, he's lazy, and I'd say he'd have been the worst choice given the qualities of each player available and what they bring on the ice. I wanted Toews at the time personally, yes he's a center but attempts could have been made to convert either he or Backstrom to wing. I'm glad we never took Kessel, and wouldn't touch him even today with our need for wingers.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Using hindsight I'd say that Kessel would have been the wrong pick, guys a cancer, he's lazy, and I'd say he'd have been the worst choice given the qualities of each player available and what they bring on the ice. I wanted Toews at the time personally, yes he's a center but attempts could have been made to convert either he or Backstrom to wing. I'm glad we never took Kessel, and wouldn't touch him even today with our need for wingers.

I really think the Kessel stuff is overblown. The guy is really really good at hockey, even if he is lazy.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I really think the Kessel stuff is overblown. The guy is really really good at hockey, even if he is lazy.

I agree. He's just not a franchise player like some thought he'd be and he's arguably overpaid these days. He's still an incredible complimentary piece. One of the better pure goal scorers out there and would have been a perfect compliment to a playmaker like Sid or Geno because of it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Kessel is just one dimensional. I don't see or hear anything about him to suggest he's a cancer. Flip flop him and Patrick Kane and people would be saying the same things about Kane, if he were on a losing team and under a huge microscope.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

:laugh: Okay. The Kessel is a cancer thing is WAAYY overblown. The Toronto media are brutal to him and Phaneuf. Not everyone is a good 'ol Canadian boy that is obsessed with playing and winning in Toronto.

Kessel isn't a two way player, but he is a game breaking goal scoring winger with speed. He has 5 30+ goal seasons and has played with 2nd/3rd line tweener centers. He would score 40+ a year with Crosby hands down. I'd gladly trade for him if he didn't cost 8mil per.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... I tend to think the rabid-to-the-point-of-insanity Toronto media has a lot to do with Kessel's supposed "issues." He isn't a franchise player (and I guess that's his fault?) and is overpaid but he's damned good at putting the puck in the net. Which is still important.

I don't even really know about the lazy stuff. Is this well-documented? Maybe he's just naturally weird-lookin?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Kessel is just one dimensional. I don't see or hear anything about him to suggest he's a cancer. Flip flop him and Patrick Kane and people would be saying the same things about Kane, if he were on a losing team and under a huge microscope.

Exactly. Well said.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, he did score 29 goals playing mainly on Geno's LW during their rookie season.

He was way more useful as the third line center IMO. Having Sid, Geno and him was such an advantage down the middle.

So given the choice right now, would you rather bring in a great 3rd line center or a great wing for Sid or Geno?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
So given the choice right now, would you rather bring in a great 3rd line center or a great wing for Sid or Geno?

Given Staal's skillset, he was of better use as the third line center. We got a Cup out of the three center model. Would we have gotten one with him on the wing? I have no clue, maybe we do, but Staal was perfect as our third line center. So, given the choice, I would choose Staal as a center before Staal as a winger.

As of RIGHT NOW, as we have Sutter, a fine option on L3, I would of course go for the winger.

Your question has nothing to do with our current situation though. Having Sid, Malkin and Staal was a luxury we cannot and shouldn't try to replicate.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Given Staal's skillset, he was of better use as the third line center. We got a Cup out of the three center model. Would we have gotten one with him on the wing? I have no clue, maybe we do, but Staal was perfect as our third line center. So, given the choice, I would choose Staal as a center before Staal as a winger.

As of RIGHT NOW, as we have Sutter, a fine option on L3, I would of course go for the winger.

Your question has nothing to do with our current situation though. Having Sid, Malkin and Staal was a luxury we cannot and shouldn't try to replicate.
Fair enough. Aside from disagreeing about Sutter.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
:laugh: Okay. The Kessel is a cancer thing is WAAYY overblown. The Toronto media are brutal to him and Phaneuf. Not everyone is a good 'ol Canadian boy that is obsessed with playing and winning in Toronto.

Kessel isn't a two way player, but he is a game breaking goal scoring winger with speed. He has 5 30+ goal seasons and has played with 2nd/3rd line tweener centers. He would score 40+ a year with Crosby hands down. I'd gladly trade for him if he didn't cost 8mil per.

Heh, I guess I'd just rather not have the one-dimensional pre-madona drug addict on the team, to each their own though (living in the Toronto region I've had alot of opportunity for extensive exposure to the player that Kessel is). I would take Toews, Staal, and Backstrom all before Kessel, hands down. Laugh all you want Shady, but at the end of the day, Kessel is not what we'd want to add if we are trying to right this sinking ship of a franchise.
The Toronto media is harsh and unforgiving, but Kessel gets much of what he deserves. We don't need more distractions.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Heh, I guess I'd just rather not have the one-dimensional pre-madona drug addict on the team, to each their own though (living in the Toronto region I've had alot of opportunity for extensive exposure to the player that Kessel is). I would take Toews, Staal, and Backstrom all before Kessel, hands down. Laugh all you want Shady, but at the end of the day, Kessel is not what we'd want to add if we are trying to right this sinking ship of a franchise.
The Toronto media is harsh and unforgiving, but Kessel gets much of what he deserves. We don't need more distractions.

Pre-madona (sic) drug addict?

Living in Toronto and working in that field, you're not only wrong, you're flat out lying and saying some damaging, untrue things about him.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Phil Kessel is a secret Madonna impersonator who, once his hockey career is over, will begin impersonating Madonna full-time?

You'd think Leafs fans would love him for being...True Blue.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

GkzO7ro.gif

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Pre-madona? :laugh: So would you say he's more hair metal or new wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad