"Raw Knuckles" Podcast: A Worthy Distraction

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Opinions vary about Chris Nilan. I hated him with Canadians and enjoyed his time in Boston.

Nilan has a podcast, Raw Knuckles, co-hosted by Tim Stapleton,

Said podcast features interesting characters (Ron Greschner, Kelly Chase, Brad May, Stu Grimson, John Scott), old friends (Mike Millbury, Jay Miller, Nate Thompson, Blake Wheeler), hated adversaries (Claude Lemieux, Chris Chelios, Max Pacioretty), non-player players (Grapes, Kent Hughes, Jeff Gorton, Mike Keenan, Jim Montgomery, Kerry Frasier, Ted Nolan, Geoff Molson, Dominque Ducharme), and NHL greats (Raymond Bourque, Jaques Lemaire, Larry Robinson, Martin St. Louis).

Mercifully devoid of the tedious, inane "guy talk" opening banter that renders many sports podcasts unlistenable (Spittin' Chicklets), these interviews are candid, entertaining, and informative.

Some bits can't be told, of course, but there's inside info and a measure of dirt.

Case in point,

Enjoy what's left of August and the ramp up to camp,

:tvhappy::wedgie:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Opinions vary about Chris Nilan. I hated him with Canadians and enjoyed his time in Boston.

Nilan has a podcast, Raw Knuckles, co-hosted by Tim Stapleton,

Said podcast features interesting characters (Ron Greschner, Kelly Chase, Brad May, Stu Grimson, John Scott), old friends (Mike Millbury, Jay Miller, Nate Thompson, Blake Wheeler), hated adversaries (Claude Lemieux, Chris Chelios, Max Pacioretty), non-player players (Grapes, Kent Hughes, Jeff Gorton, Mike Keenan, Jim Montgomery, Kerry Frasier, Ted Nolan, Geoff Molson, Dominque Ducharme), and NHL greats (Raymond Bourque, Jaques Lemaire, Larry Robinson, Martin St. Louis).

Mercifully devoid of the tedious, inane "guy talk" opening banter that renders many sports podcasts unlistenable (Spittin' Chicklets), these interviews are candid, entertaining, and informative.

Some bits can't be told, of course, but there's inside info and a measure of dirt.

Case in point,

Enjoy what's left of August and the ramp up to camp,

:tvhappy::wedgie:

Nilan used to be on TSN 690 until he and Marinaro both decided to go to podcasts.

I very much enjoyed Nilan. I don't think I ever knew a more in touch with reality whatever he is than he.

This guy nailed what seemed like 90% of results before they happened.

Nilan knows hockey, regardless of what you think of him.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Nilan used to be on TSN 690 until he and Marinaro both decided to go to podcasts.

I very much enjoyed Nilan. I don't think I ever knew a more in touch with reality whatever he is than he.

This guy nailed what seemed like 90% of results before they happened.

Nilan knows hockey, regardless of what you think of him.
I like him fine myself. His interviews are significantly better than much of what you will find out there. And many of his interviewees don't spare the salt.

If you follow through and watch or listen to Raymond or Mike milbury, that should be obvious. They're fairly lengthy interviews so, so you can watch bits and then take it up again which is what I did.

I've watched those two, and Jacques Lemaire. I'm looking forward to Larry Robinson, grapes, etc.

FU Shoresy

Jan 25, 2023
I'll have to give it a listen. Tried the spittin chicklets. But after 10 minutes of talking about the cranberry infused beer they were trying. I put it to pasture. I don't have XM radio anymore. But use to love the show Espo use to do.

FU Shoresy

Jan 25, 2023
Had an hour plus drive today for a job. Listened to a couple episodes on the drive. Interviews with Bourque and Jay Miller. Quite entertaining, Knuckles is very open about the the highs and lows of his career. And actually a very good interviewer, IMO.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I have enjoyed this pod, what I do like is Nilan isn`t trying to re-invent the wheel, just simple hockey talk here, some fun stories.

I listen to lots of pods where my views might be different from the host but I still enjoy them, this is one of em`

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Had an hour plus drive today for a job. Listened to a couple episodes on the drive. Interviews with Bourque and Jay Miller. Quite entertaining, Knuckles is very open about the the highs and lows of his career. And actually a very good interviewer, IMO.

I think he is, too.

As for the Bourque (and Milbury) interview, listen to what Ray says about Sinden taking him to arbitration, the fact that Harry could not accept a changing economic landscape in the NHL, and never iced a truly Cup worthy team.

Listen to what Bourque says about his decision, after several seasons of awful Bruins teams that sapped his love for the game, to finally request a trade.

Milbury has some interesting things to say as well, unsurprisingly.

Oddly, the Grapes interview was relatively brief and pedestrian.

Nilan paid tribute to Guy Lafleur upon his death. There are no guests and he just relates his experience with Flower, and what Guy's friendship meant to him.

Most recently, I listened to the Kerry Fraser episode, which provides perspective on what it's like to be an NHL referee, and a hated one. Good stories there, too.

Enjoy,

1693597548539.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This is a bit difficult to watch. I feel for Tim Peel,

Check the trio of podcasts with Jeff Gorton, Kent Hughes and Martin St. Louis.

Watch out for Canadian going forward. They're finally going in the right direction,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad