Recalled/Assigned: Rau, Brickley, Hunt & Weegar sent down, Pardy released from PTO

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
The Panthers assigned four players to their American Hockey League affiliate, the Springfield Thunderbirds: forwards Connor Brickley, Dryden Hunt and Kyle Rau and defenseman MacKenzie Weegar.

Still remaining on the Panthers' roster (non-regulars as of now) is:

• Greg McKegg
  • Shane Harper
  • Paul Thompson
  • Denis Malgin
  • Thomas Schemitsch
  • Ian McCoshen

Adam Pardy released from PTO.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
So which bottom6 wing position (barring that Bjugs isn't injured long-term) is left to fill?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Sceviour should be on the fourth line wing... so one spot to Thompson or McKegg I guess.

Wouldn't rule out Harper either. He's been just as good, if not better, than Thompson and/or McKegg.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Would be mildly surprised if Malgin gets the nod over McKegg to C the 3rd line. Thompson should get the final spot over Harper due to his willingness to drive to the net. :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I think Thompson could get the last bottom 6 spot. He's produced really well at the AHL level and plays a hard nosed game, driving to the net.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Panthers assigned four players to their American Hockey League affiliate, the Springfield Thunderbirds: forwards Connor Brickley, Dryden Hunt and Kyle Rau and defenseman MacKenzie Weegar.

Still remaining on the Panthers' roster (non-regulars as of now) is:

• Greg McKegg
  • Shane Harper
  • Paul Thompson
  • Denis Malgin
  • Thomas Schemitsch
  • Ian McCoshen

Adam Pardy released from PTO.

How have these two guys looked? How long before they're mainstays on Panthers or have their stocks plateaued?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Has Schemitsch look that good or they are just trying to give him more experience?

Ciccarelli22eh

Jan 30, 2015
Has Schemitsch look that good or they are just trying to give him more experience?

Not exaggerating but he looked horrible. I'm assuming they are just giving him some experience up here. From what I seen he looked overwhelmed almost nervous. pace of the game was far quicker then what he's used to.

Ciccarelli22eh

Jan 30, 2015
I really wanted to see McCann start in the A but looks like with this injury to Bjugs that won't happen. Wonder if McCann possibly centres the 3rd line with Malgin now giving him the 9 games or if Mack comes up takes the 3rd line C and McKeg with the 4th line C which is what I'm assuming will happen.
Arm chair GM probs...

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I really wanted to see McCann start in the A but looks like with this injury to Bjugs that won't happen. Wonder if McCann possibly centres the 3rd line with Malgin now giving him the 9 games or if Mack comes up takes the 3rd line C and McKeg with the 4th line C which is what I'm assuming will happen.
Arm chair GM probs...

There is no 9 games in this case... can't have mac on 3rd line he is an offensive black hole... mckegg or Malgin on 3c most likely Mcann will play wing.. jussi could play 3c too if these guys don't work out

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Mac's 5 on 5 mins will increase with young guys on line three. I don't agree with Mac slippage last year narrative here. He was FAN fav on these boards couple seasons ago, now #1 whipping boy with Kindl out. What gives ? I watch all the games and love his passion, somewhat strong skating, massive PK and block shots work. Someone has to do the dirty work on this adv stats roster.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Mac's 5 on 5 mins will increase with young guys on line three. I don't agree with Mac slippage last year narrative here. He was FAN fav on these boards couple seasons ago, now #1 whipping boy with Kindl out. What gives ? I watch all the games and love his passion, somewhat strong skating, massive PK and block shots work. Someone has to do the dirty work on this adv stats roster.

I like him as a player.. busts his ass every night but he is limited with little upside.. he isn't good defensively either.. we do need him for pk but anywhere other than 4th line is not good.. he is a black hole on offense and not good enough defensively to take 3c minites... he is a perfect 4th liner with energy and pk and plays his role well as long as he sticks in that role

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I like him as a player.. busts his ass every night but he is limited with little upside.. he isn't good defensively either.. we do need him for pk but anywhere other than 4th line is not good.. he is a black hole on offense and not good enough defensively to take 3c minites... he is a perfect 4th liner with energy and pk and plays his role well as long as he sticks in that role

I don't disagree with much of that but Id rather :

Mac play some 3C through injuries

Than say ...

Old days of Goc playing 1C and 2C mins with injuries , and people believing he would find some scoring touch.

I like both those guys , but Mac is slotted decently even bumping up a line for few games here and there. I hope Malgin or some young guy does stick as 3C. Four weeks is a long time.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I don't disagree with much of that but Id rather :

Mac play some 3C through injuries

Than say ...

Old days of Goc playing 1C and 2C mins with injuries , and people believing he would find some scoring touch.

I like both those guys , but Mac is slotted decently even bumping up a line for few games here and there. I hope Malgin or some young guy does stick as 3C. Four weeks is a long time.

Some people will not be happy/at ease with themselves unless they have a whipping boy. With the departures of Guds, Kuli and Bolland, DMack becomes whipping boy by default IMO. Fans are interesting creatures!

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Some people will not be happy/at ease with themselves unless they have a whipping boy. With the departures of Guds, Kuli and Bolland, DMack becomes whipping boy by default IMO. Fans are interesting creatures!
It's really not about that. Mac just isn't very good (when playing above his position of 4C) period and it's not like he's regressed suddenly, he's been like this since day 1 with the Panthers. The hustle and work ethic Mac brings just makes a lot of people turn a blind eye to his deficiencies.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
With Bjugstad on IR to start season, I would expect the final 3 cuts to be Schemitsch, McCoshen and Harper.

Opening night prediction:

Huby - Barkov - Jags
JJ - Tro - Smith
McCann - Malgin/McKegg - March
Thornton - Mack - Sceviour

Ekblad - Matheson
Yandle - Demers
Petro - Pysyk

Scratches: McKegg/Malgin, Thompson, Kampfer

Other than Marchessault, Sceviour and Mack, I think our bottom 6 is going to be shuffled a lot throughout the season. Hopefully the top 6 performs like last year and stays healthy (knocks on wood) so that we won't have to make any major lineup adjustments.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I loved the Mack signing, ad I still like him as a player. However, he has been utilized terribly on Florida. He gets 5 more es minutes a night than he did on CBJ. He plays too much.

How often has MacKenzie started in other teams zones, especially after icings? I don't get why he gets shifts there. He needs to be at the 8 or 9 minute mark, not 15.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

Yep, this is true. I'd slightly understand this notion if we were still 10th-14th in East and DEVOID of young scoring talent up front like the history of our club, but we're not anymore:shakehead

It's really not about that. Mac just isn't very good (when playing above his position of 4C) period and it's not like he's regressed suddenly, he's been like this since day 1 with the Panthers. The hustle and work ethic Mac brings just makes a lot of people turn a blind eye to his deficiencies.

This is not me though if you are hinting at that notion. Mac work ethic screams through the TV AND watching him live in person (that's not the case for many guys).

Why is bashing of him happening since near end of last season ? I COULD see slippage in his game like I do for sure w/Jussi, but it has not happened yet but many < here are treating it like fact. Fact : Campbell had bad playoff series, Jagr struggled , Lu was good other than odd moment/period here or there, Mac did not regress end of last year. Facts.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I loved the Mack signing, ad I still like him as a player. However, he has been utilized terribly on Florida. He gets 5 more es minutes a night than he did on CBJ. He plays too much.

How often has MacKenzie started in other teams zones, especially after icings? I don't get why he gets shifts there. He needs to be at the 8 or 9 minute mark, not 15.

12-14 mins I say. Gallant loves to roll lines. Mac needs better linemmates than say Shaw/Wilson/Thornton etc. It's not Macs fault. I think the organization this offseason is at that point now. I'd put Hawryluk on that line for his first 20-40 NHL games when healthy, or Jussi by end of the year. That's how you build winning squad. Howden was 3Rd/4th line LW of future but that fizzled out unexpectedly (health reasons/hockey IQ/finishing abilities/Gallant doghouse theory).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad