Rate potential of Russian youngsters

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
There are lot of talks, especially in Russia, that hockey here is lackng of talents on Malkin-or-Oveckin's level, but on the other hand, right now in a league we have some very talented players like Tarasenko or Kucherov.

So - what is their upsde? These comparisons are definitely not based on their style of play, but about eventual impact for the league.

Tarasenko - Kovalchuk (great individual seasons, maybe some Maurice Richard Trophy when Ovechkin will have some regress)
Kucherov - Hossa
Panarin - Kessel
Yakupov - Neal
Nichushkin - Perry (it'd be good comparison after his rookie season, right now is guessing, but his offensive tools and physical abilities are comparable to Perry's in terms of potential and potential development)
Kuznetsov - Pavelski
Grigorenko - some 3rd liner

Some years ago, they were definitely second most offensive gifted country in a league, suprisingly close to Canda, right now they're still in top3 with healthy Datsyuk and Malkin. But when these players finally decline, it'll be proportional to declining level of Russian representation in NHL? Unfortunately, it seems to me. But on the other hand, if most of these players realised their potential, it looks very competetive, though, right?

Last edited:

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
Kucherov is more like Kane imo.
Yes, he is, but as I said, these comparisons are not based on playing style of players, but about their projected role in NHL in a future. Kuch is super efffective even in minimalized role in offensive system, has big versatility in his game and still has fantastic scoring abilities - as a 21 y.o. he had 65 points in regular season as a sophomore despite having the lowest TOI in top90 (he was 25th) of scoring table, and highest +/- in a league. That's sick. Great player for a title contender and eventually dominant player in a less talented team where he can be one of the main offensive weapons, with possibility of some ~90 pts seasons. Same like Hossa in Trashers and then in Detroit/Penguins/Chicago, IMHO. The question is whether in this context it's good comparison, I think yes, it is.

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
Grigorenko is not a third line talent. He had pretty respectable numbers in the AHL this season and if he was on a different team would probably be showing a lot more potential on the big club.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yes, he is, but as I said, these comparisons are not based on playing style of players, but about their projected role in NHL in a future. Kuch is super efffective even in minimalized role in offensive system, has big versatility in his game and still has fantastic scoring abilities - as a 21 y.o. he had 65 points in regular season as a sophomore despite having the lowest TOI in top90 (he was 25th) of scoring table, and highest +/- in a league. That's sick. Great player for a title contender and eventually dominant player in a less talented team where he can be one of the main offensive weapons, with possibility of some ~90 pts seasons. Same like Hossa in Trashers and then in Detroit/Penguins/Chicago, IMHO. The question is whether in this context it's good comparison, I think yes, it is.

Style plays into role no?

Kucherov screams kovalev to me

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
Style plays into role no?

Kucherov screams kovalev to me
Yes, it is, but I wanted to avoid situations where Kuznetsov is called by some people Datsyuk-kind of player, when probably he will never be as good as Dats is since 2005. Just judging their potential.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Not many 2 way forwards on that list

Classic Russia, Lol

Pavel_Datsyuk_2012.jpg

Fedorov_RedWings_672x412.jpg

Classic Russia indeed.

Analyzer*

Pavel_Datsyuk_2012.jpg

Fedorov_RedWings_672x412.jpg

Classic Russia indeed.

Given Datsyuk is soon to retire and Fedorov has been retired, "classic" will indeed be a term to use towards two-way Russian players.

Though, not on the list, Barbashyov is a 2 way forward. Whether he'll be anything in the NHL we'll have to wait and see.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'm confused. OP lists young Russian players and places current players next to them but says that they are "definitely not" player style comparisons.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So you cite one retired Russian star and one almost retired Russian star to support your argument?

Kane/Kessel not being great two way players doesn't mean Americans still aren't known for being good 2 way players.

So what? They aren't just regular 2 way forwards, they're among the best of all time. Fedorov is arguably the most complete forward to have ever played. Datsyuk was/is the guru of takeaways and steals.
Malkin gets a lot of steals too, he led the league in that category once IIRC.
Kovalchuk became a sound 2 way forward in NJ, getting regular minutes on the PK.
Semin on his game is good defensively as well.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Kucherov is actually pretty damn solid defensively. I cant tell you how many times I caught him breaking up a play by back checking. I wouldn't confuse him as a Selke candidate, but he is definitely above average, into the pretty damn good range.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Those comparisons are ridiculous, the only realistic ones are Kuznetsov and Grigorenko. What makes you think Panarin, a player who had the same amount of points as Stephane Da Costa (in 8 more games too) is gonna become a 35 goal, 80 point player in the nhl?

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
Those comparisons are ridiculous, the only realistic ones are Kuznetsov and Grigorenko. What makes you think Panarin, a player who had the same amount of points as Stephane Da Costa (in 8 more games too) is gonna become a 35 goal, 80 point player in the nhl?

And Mozyakin was close in scoring to Malkin when they both played in 12/13 in Magnitogorsk. I'm not saying he's going to be this level of player, I'm saying he has potential to become ppg player and there's some probability that it will happen. He's rightly touted as the most talented player in KHL, is relatively young and will play in very talented team. And if you watched him carefully, you can see that he has all offensive tools to make another step as a NHL player. It's rather based on ''I wouldn't be suprised, if...'', probably few of these players are going to be that good.

I'm confused. OP lists young Russian players and places current players next to them but says that they are "definitely not" player style comparisons.
I don't see any contradiction here, it's about judging their potential. Saying Panarin is Russian Patrick Kane while he definitely won't be on Kane's level in impact to the game, is worthless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad