Rate our bottom pairing plugs over the years

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
I am curious about everyones opinion of our plugs that we've had. Most specifically i'm not rating Ference as he has a longer term deal but guys who were on 1 year deals.

Andy Sutton
Mark Fistric
Jim Vandermeer
Mark Fraser
Eric Gryba

is how I rate the ones I can think of, Gryba is quite literally the worst defenseman we've had since the 2010 rebuild though, really wish they'd stop giving him playing time. Also man I loved Sutton dangles :)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I am curious about everyones opinion of our plugs that we've had. Most specifically i'm not rating Ference as he has a longer term deal but guys who were on 1 year deals.

Andy Sutton
Mark Fistric
Jim Vandermeer
Mark Fraser
Eric Gryba

is how I rate the ones I can think of, Gryba is quite literally the worst defenseman we've had since the 2010 rebuild though, really wish they'd stop giving him playing time. Also man I loved Sutton dangles :)

Gryba better than Fistric and Fraser for me

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Fraser was terrible, dunno how you can have him over Gryba.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I remember fondly the day Jim Vandermeer beat Lucic down right in front of the Oiler net, and the announcers called it "Vandermeer grinning ghoulishly".

Oh that the Oilers had even one d-man on the current roster who would/could take on the role of ghoul when its required. But no, Oiler d-men of today just let players stand around in front of the net like its a tea party out there. Go ahead sir, have another crack at that rebound why don't you. Embarrassments like that didn't happen when we had guys like Sutton and Vandermeer on the team. But go ahead and call them plugs I guess ...

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/102665

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I remember fondly the day Jim Vandermeer beat Lucic down right in front of the Oiler net, and the announcers called it "Vandermeer grinning ghoulishly".

Oh that the Oilers had even one d-man on the current roster who would/could take on the role of ghoul when its required. But no, Oiler d-men of today just let players stand around in front of the net like its a tea party out there. Go ahead sir, have another crack at that rebound why don't you. Embarrassments like that didn't happen when we had guys like Sutton and Vandermeer on the team. But go ahead and call them plugs I guess ...

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/102665

True, they aren't plugs. They were bottom pairing guys who played the role of bottom pairing guys.

Funny how a few weeks ago Gryba was being praised and was getting lots of love here. Now he's the worst Dman we've had in 5+ years a few games later.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Gryba isn't even close to the worst dman we have right now, let alone the worst since 2010. That said, I'd rank them

Andy Sutton
Eric Gryba

Jim Vandermeer
Mark Fistric

Mark Fraser

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Of the physical bottom pairing D this team has had over the last few years:

Sutton

Good Peckham

Gyrba
Vandermeer
Fistric

Strudwick
bad Peckham

Traffic cone

Fraser

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
Gryba isn't even close to the worst dman we have right now, let alone the worst since 2010. That said, I'd rank them

Andy Sutton
Eric Gryba

Jim Vandermeer
Mark Fistric

Mark Fraser

Don't know what people see in Gryba, all he does is give away the puck, i'll admit his defensive positioning is better than the rest though.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Andy Sutton
Eric Gryba

Jim Vandermeer
Mark Fistric

Mark Fraser

I like this list too. Small sample size so Gryba could move around a bit.

Vandermeer sent Ebs on that highlight reel goal in his first game, so I'd move up him a space for that alone :)

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Are people forgetting Kurtis Foster? Or maybe you were trying to until I brought him up... if so I apologize.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Let's do a more comprehensive list of our bottom pairing D for discussion purposes, as I think most would agree with "The Nuge" on his tiering.

So starting from the Taylor Hall era (2010-11 season) here are the bottom pairing d-men we have employed (min 20 games played in a season):

• Kurtis Foster
  • Jim Vandermeer
  • Theo Peckham
  • Jason Strudwick
  • Corey Potter
  • Andy Sutton
  • Cam Barker
  • Colton Teubert
  • Ryan Whitney (broken wheel version)
  • Mark Fistric
  • Philip Larsen
  • Anton Belov
  • Keith Aulie
  • Eric Gryba (hasn't hit 20 games yet, but clearly he will)

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Sutton
Vandermeer
Gryba
Fistric
Fraser

Andy Sutton was actually hilarious to watch. So many random dekes that actually worked.
Vandermeer from what I recall was actually pretty decent for his role.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Let's do a more comprehensive list of our bottom pairing D for discussion purposes, as I think most would agree with "The Nuge" on his tiering.

So starting from the Taylor Hall era (2010-11 season) here are the bottom pairing d-men we have employed (min 20 games played in a season):

• Kurtis Foster
  • Jim Vandermeer
  • Theo Peckham
  • Jason Strudwick
  • Corey Potter
  • Andy Sutton
  • Cam Barker
  • Colton Teubert
  • Ryan Whitney (broken wheel version)
  • Mark Fistric
  • Philip Larsen
  • Anton Belov
  • Keith Aulie
  • Eric Gryba (hasn't hit 20 games yet, but clearly he will)
Yeah, I was going to bring up Foster and Barker too, but the OP specifically referenced "plugs".
Barker and Foster were brought in to be first or second pairing guys. :laugh: :biglaugh:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Sutton, Gryba and maybe Fistric are about the only ones that are/were legit NHLers. Belov might have been if not for Eakins, but we'll never know.

the rest are all bums.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

Andy Sutton
Eric Gryba

Jim Vandermeer
Mark Fistric

Mark Fraser

Add a couple spaces between Sutton and Gryba and between Vandermeer and Fistric, and I agree.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Sutton got suspended twice for being Sutton and Shanny hated Sutton.

Narnia, I hope you realize that pretty much every single solitary one of your posts, in any thread, follows the "motif" that you've posted here......again....add nauseum.

Maybe it would be an idea to change things up a bit here and there and add more to the discussion than "it's us against them".

Anyway, I do agree with Gryba being on the list itself, but not where the OP placed him. He's actually been a very pleasant surprise for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad