Rasmussen

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think the expectation is that big guys will use their size to lean on people more and be less timid to be involved physically...

I think that's justified...the fact neither man plays that way is not wrong, just unfortunate
Agreed.

Honestly it probably is harder for someone Ras's size to lay a full on body check at NHL speeds. I just wish he used his size more in general when battling with guys.

Rasmussen is the exact same size as Chris Pronger was during his playing days.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ras is what he is at this point. He's still a useful NHL regular, that can chip in here and there, and fill in on any line if needed. On a good team, he's a 4th liner, who could play 3rd line if need be. I hated the pick at the draft, but I've grown to appreciate Ras for what he is.
For a top ten pick he's a bust. He's a 30 point bottom 6 winger, that can sometimes take a draw (though not well). If he was a 2nd or 3rd round pick he would be a disappointment but a decent pick. But given what he was drafted for he's I just can't appreciate him. I would feel better if he would just use his size a bit more even if the point production didn't change.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
For a top ten pick he's a bust. He's a 30 point bottom 6 winger, that can sometimes take a draw (though not well). If he was a 2nd or 3rd round pick he would be a disappointment but a decent pick. But given what he was drafted for he's I just can't appreciate him. I would feel better if he would just use his size a bit more even if the point production didn't change.
Yeah, I definitely don't like re-litigating past draft picks. The big picture is that the Holland era was truly terrible when it came to building through the draft. People always come back with 'well who would you have drafted'? And while I fully understand my limitations when it comes to scouting players I do remember being a Gabe Vilardi fan with that pick. Vilardi looked like a bust in Los Angeles but he's coming around nicely in Winnipeg. He's averaging 2.94 points per 60 minutes. He's not a center, but he has skill which is something we sorely need.

Rasmussen is averaging 1.63 points per 60 mins.

Reactions: heyfolks

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I will be fair to Ras in this circumstance: He's the 9OA in what is, overall, a really crappy draft year. The odds of even getting a fourth liner at 9OA are just about 50/50.

If he was drafted at 25OA no one bats an eye at the fact that he's destined for a career as a fourth liner on weak teams.

My hate on Ras stems from the fact that he is 6-5 and plays softer than DeBrincat. Staring down at people in juniors may have been effective, but in the NHL dudes who are six inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter will gladly tangle with you, and probably win. If Ras put more effort into learning how to use his body effectively he could be a really good 3rd\4th line defensive center who puts a hurting on people. His reach alone could let him disrupt plays all over the ice.

Instead, the only time he inflicts pain on the opposing team is when he falls on them.

He bought into his own hype as an offensive player and has neglected his skating, balance, and hitting. The Wings aren't doing him any favors by giving him chance after chance. Bench him and tell him what he needs to learn to be effective in the NHL. Force him into an off-season training program for lower body strength and make him practice with Holmstrom for 3 hours a day learning how to screen the net and tip shots.

The guy is already 25. His time to develop as a player is just about over.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I will be fair to Ras in this circumstance: He's the 9OA in what is, overall, a really crappy draft year. The odds of even getting a fourth liner at 9OA are just about 50/50.

If he was drafted at 25OA no one bats an eye at the fact that he's destined for a career as a fourth liner on weak teams.

My hate on Ras stems from the fact that he is 6-5 and plays softer than DeBrincat. Staring down at people in juniors may have been effective, but in the NHL dudes who are six inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter will gladly tangle with you, and probably win. If Ras put more effort into learning how to use his body effectively he could be a really good 3rd\4th line defensive center who puts a hurting on people. His reach alone could let him disrupt plays all over the ice.

Instead, the only time he inflicts pain on the opposing team is when he falls on them.

He bought into his own hype as an offensive player and has neglected his skating, balance, and hitting. The Wings aren't doing him any favors by giving him chance after chance. Bench him and tell him what he needs to learn to be effective in the NHL. Force him into an off-season training program for lower body strength and make him practice with Holmstrom for 3 hours a day learning how to screen the net and tip shots.

The guy is already 25. His time to develop as a player is just about over.
You say 25OA but Riley Sheahan would like to have a have a word about expectations.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
When he went into the corner and could've just ate the puck to kill time but instead tried to pass it to someone. Frustrating.

moose.gif

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
If you iso on Ras for an entire shift it’s very hard to watch
He doesn’t really do much out there. I’m actually surprised with his stat line this season since I rarely see him
Make positive impact on the game.

It’s sad because this is one guy I really want to succeed.

Reactions: raymond23

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Under performing for his draft posit? Possibly. Bust? Definitely not.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
GWG and Assist the past couple games

Plus a couple big blocks

He's not very good but gotta give him credit for some huge plays. Copp too

Their line was great last night. Like I said in the GDT, I just wish the guy would work on learning how to win puck battles along the boards.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I struggle to think of a 1 for 1 comparable to what Rasmussen brings when comparing to current NHLers or even depth guys of yester-year.

If you had to pick an NHLer that Rasmussen reminds you of this season and last, who would you fellas say? Because Ras is definitely playing like an upper tier bottom 6 forward lately.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I struggle to think of a 1 for 1 comparable to what Rasmussen brings when comparing to current NHLers or even depth guys of yester-year.

If you had to pick an NHLer that Rasmussen reminds you of this season and last, who would you fellas say? Because Ras is definitely playing like an upper tier bottom 6 forward lately.
What he should do is watch a lot of film of Jordan Staal and make that his goal.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What he should do is watch a lot of film of Jordan Staal and make that his goal.

That was my hope 3 years ago. He's not able to protect the puck standing still like Staal can. Nor can he lock up opponents' defensemen against the wall like Staal can. And Staal always had a pretty good shot. His deployment over the years kept him off scoring lines though.

So I'll ask again, who does he compare to?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That was my hope 3 years ago. He's not able to protect the puck standing still like Staal can. Nor can he lock up opponents' defensemen against the wall like Staal can. And Staal always had a pretty good shot. His deployment over the years kept him off scoring lines though.

Now? Probably Boyle. But that's not what we want him to be.

But that whole watching and learning thing should still be in motion. He wanted to get better at hockey. Now he needs to want to get better at hockey again. And again. And again. It never ends.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I've said it before.... Jay Beagle.

Tall and tries to be physical but really isn't. Useful defensively, pots a few points. Not the best at winning puck battles.

Raz carries the puck better and plays with better linemates, so he'll get more points, that's about the only difference. Nobody cared about Beagle, nobody aside from Wings fan cares about Raz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad