Confirmed with Link: Rasmus Sandin, extended 5x$4.6M

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Don't mind this. Earlier in the year when the caps were playing truly terrible started to have some doubts but one can see when the team is playing decent Sandin is looking decent out there.

What's Fever's contract status I totally forget.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Love this. Great money for a second pairing guy who can QB a PP. Terrific skater and puck distributor.
Is he? IIRC one of the most consistent knocks against him when he was traded was that he was a very average skater. Not bad, but certainly not a strength. Or maybe his skating has gotten significantly better since he got to D.C.? (If so, thank you Wendy Marco!)

I'm not good judge of skating ability, but I can't recall ever seeing anything that made me think, "That Sandin, so silky smooth on his skates!"

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
terrible deal, should have been 10 years at 8m or whatever it was @twabby

obvious joke, this works great for their cap and contract situation without tying them to someone they'll want to punt right as the new window starts opening if any of Sandin's game breaks down

I just hope some of us remember this the next time we try throwing around contract numbers and extensions, the Caps would have played themselves to the tune of nearly double what they actually had to pay if we listened to charts and graphs.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I like this signing a lot. He's mobile. improving, and I believe his offensive skills are going to get even better. Hopefully, he continues working on defensive skills.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Prime years for a 3-4 at under $5m seems pretty good.

I don't love the player, but the contract is team friendly enough.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I like Sandin a lot. He can play at high tempo, like Orlov could. He doesn’t make big hits like Orlov, but he’s still pretty good defensively and his skating and quickness cover up some mistakes. He moves the puck quickly, sees the ice well, and is a good passer and play-maker. Can he be shaky defensively sometimes, and get cratered in front of the net others, sure. But I think what GMBM recognized that effective D play in todays NHL requires D men who can skate and play at pace. Orlov was that guy for us, and what GMBM did was pretty savvy - he got a guy who does a lot of what Orlov does for this team but who is younger and cheaper.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Good deal. I imagine he will be running the PP at some point during this contract so even in a more defense oriented system his numbers will improve.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Sandin has been decent, but I don't know in what world he's a good skater.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
It's probably about market value for a 3/4 D. If he keeps taking steps forward (like taking over the PP from Carlson), this will be a very good value contract in the future.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad