Confirmed with Link: Rasmus Sandin, extended 5x$4.6M

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I don't know anything about contract numbers but I just want to say that I have been liking his game. He seems steady. And is probably the fastest Dman we have.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think that's a great deal. Easily moveable if something goes wrong in 2 or 3 years, but likely a good deal to a steal if he continues to progress. Hell, Jensen and TVR are both locked in at 4.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
A bit steep right now, but he's going to get a bigger role when Carlson gets older. Long-term seems like a good bet to make. 4.6m is like a #3 or #4 money in few years.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's a bit more than I would have liked (I figure it's probably market) but if he makes some improvements it isn't awful. The reality is, they do need to keep him, and they need to pay someone. Probably less than what they would spend on the equivalent on the open market.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I guess a lot of my concern with most of the moves, they're shuffling deck chairs to keep the team meh.

I know that's probably the course the franchise has set for Ovechkin till he can drag his keyster over the line to beat Gretzky, but it just seems every move is only going to try and drag the team into shouting distance of the 3rd spot in the division. And only if EVERYTHING goes right.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
I think the timing of the Sandin extension (before the TDL) indicates GMBM is trying to move TVR or Jensen later this week and the Caps wanted to ensure Sandin would be back next season.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think the timing of the Sandin extension (before the TDL) indicates GMBM is trying to move TVR or Jensen later this week and the Caps wanted to ensure Sandin would be back next season.
1709739385334.png

itsjustsurvival

These are my last, last words
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Seems like a pretty fair deal. Another good piece locked up at $5million or less. Wonder what they do with McMichael, shorter bridge or does he get something similar?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Glad they locked him up rather than messing around with a bridge.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is a very good deal, IMO. 4.6m is currently the going rate for a middle pair D-man (frankly, it’s a little on the low side). So if Sandin continues his play — or even better — improves his play. This contract will be a steal. Certainly leaves monies on the table for another large contract on the back end.

If they can secure another top 4 D, trading away one of Jensen/TVR, and then let AA/Bear/Iorio/HHA etc battle out for the last spot on the bottom pair…..then they will have something.

Fever-Carlson
Sandin-XXXX
AA/Bear-Jensen/TVR
AA/Bear

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
My initial instinct is that this is way too high, but my instincts are still stuck back in the early days of the salary cap when the Caps paid Tom Poti 3.5M a year to play 23 and a half minutes a night on the top pairing with Green. The unconscious part of my brain refuses to adjust for inflation. I haven't been all that impressed by Sandin this year, but as long as he keeps improving this should be fine. Not like the Caps have anyone beating down the door at LD that'll be blocked by Sandin.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
My initial instinct is that this is way too high, but my instincts are still stuck back in the early days of the salary cap when the Caps paid Tom Poti 3.5M a year to play 23 and a half minutes a night on the top pairing with Green. The unconscious part of my brain refuses to adjust for inflation. I haven't been all that impressed by Sandin this year, but as long as he keeps improving this should be fine. Not like the Caps have anyone beating down the door at LD that'll be blocked by Sandin.
It's still a bit crazy to me too. I prefer to look at it as a percentage of the cap.

4.6m out of 87.7m (latest projection I've heard) is 5.2%. Poti's 3.5m was signed entering the 07-08 season when the cap was 50.3m (6.95%).

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I’m not in the camp that is impressed by Sandin’s play. He is meh to me. But I guess this is what meh defensemen get nowadays.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Love this. Great money for a second pairing guy who can QB a PP. Terrific skater and puck distributor. Sandin also looks like he can add some weight to his frame which should help him defensively in the dirty areas.

So that’s Kuznetsov off the team and seemingly happily reporting to the AHL (for now), Mantha traded for a better return than Tarasenko, and Sandin locked up through his prime years on a nice deal. We should definitely fire that guy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad