TBN: "Rasmus Ristolainen using lessons from the past to improve with Sabres"

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Risto's improved play getting some more ink. This time TBN in on it -

Additionally, the Sabres allowed only three 5-on-5 shot attempts when Ristolainen was on the ice against the Kings' top line of Anze Kopitar, Alex Iafallo and Dustin Brown.

"There was a little bit of a slow start (to the season), but lately, personally, I think you play well when the team plays well," Ristolainen said. "We had 10 really good games, so it’s easy to play. Overall, I think my game's been really solid. That’s what I’m aiming toward, to be good in every situation."

I'm glad he recognizes that his pair had work to do from the start of the season.

Ristolainen is succeeding while playing fewer minutes, something past Sabres coaches failed to accomplish. He has averaged 21:29 of ice time over the past 12 games, compared to playing 23:39 in the Sabres' first 25 games.

It's funny how long this has taken to become a thing.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Risto isn't just sipping the kool aid, he's guzzling it down by the case. Botterill approached this as the season to trade Risto and now he doesn't know what to do.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
“If you look at his statistical information, clearly he’s way above where he was at this point last year. I’m not talking about goals and assists. I’m just talking about Corsi numbers and possession numbers. … On a daily basis when we do chance reports, most of the time he’s playing against the top lines and still coming out on the positive side. That shows you something about what he’s done."

Interesting paragraph. It sounds like the coaches do use (at least some) analytics.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Risto has been a beast this year. It's a well known fact that it takes a while for d-men to develop in this league, but the way he's been playing recently makes it seem like he's finally putting it all together. The ice time reduction probably helps, too.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Risto has been a beast this year. It's a well known fact that it takes a while for d-men to develop in this league, but the way he's been playing recently makes it seem like he's finally putting it all together. The ice time reduction probably helps, too.

Someone finally tried something different. Wild to think how long it took.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
"So what ? we're just gonna lower his icetime and he's going to magically play better? it's doesn't work like that. he's garbage and is a borderline cap dump" My favourite quote from the summer.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Not to rain on the parade, but I have noticed that Risto seems a lot slower this year than I remember him being last year. That being said, he's generally a lot more dangerous offensively this year than he was last year--even though he'll probably end up with the same or fewer points since Dahlin is now on PP1.

I've always maintained that Risto was being overused and a lot of his mistakes were due to being exhausted, so I'm happy to see that he's being recognized for his improvement.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Still wish this team would pick up a steady vet for Dahlin but even for Risto still. A guy like Stralman as an example would’ve been a great get. A steady presence with a lot of experience—specifically a guy that hasn’t gotten by on physical talents but on smart positional play and puck management.

Obviously Risto has struggled because of being overplayed but I also think it hasn’t helped that for years he was the go-to guy on defense. The added pressure never helped, certainly.

I guess in general I think the team has suffered from a lack of (quality) veteran presence. Of course That’s a minority opinion on this website, because anyone over 27 is chopped liver.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still wish this team would pick up a steady vet for Dahlin but even for Risto still. A guy like Stralman as an example would’ve been a great get. A steady presence with a lot of experience—specifically a guy that hasn’t gotten by on physical talents but on smart positional play and puck management.

Obviously Risto has struggled because of being overplayed but I also think it hasn’t helped that for years he was the go-to guy on defense. The added pressure never helped, certainly.

I guess in general I think the team has suffered from a lack of (quality) veteran presence. Of course That’s a minority opinion on this website, because anyone over 27 is chopped liver.

We have seen what works for Ristolainen is a partner who is accomplished at zone exits above all other skills. Pilut and now Montour have been his best partners.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
We have seen what works for Ristolainen is a partner who is accomplished at zone exits above all other skills. Pilut and now Montour have been his best partners.

Yeah I don’t disagree with the type of player that will complement Risto on the ice. I feel like we’ve got a solid sample on that. Add it to the laundry list of things that seem incredibly obvious to everyone in the hockey world except the Sabres front office.

I’m just speaking more generally about the way so many of the young players have been thrown to the wolves with little guidance or insulation. And I’m also a believer that a good veteran player (read:good enough to still be a contributor in a top 6/top 4 role) can do more for a players development than a coach. Not only by reducing their on ice responsibility but also by virtue of their experience and guidance as active players. Most coaches are far removed from the way the game is played in its present state (as players).

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
He's looked good in the offensive zone and is scoring at 5v5 at a higher rate than in the past. He'll probably never be strong at smooth zone transitions. Like others have said, a partner adept in that area could help cover up that weakness some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad