Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
Last edited by a moderator:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I see it too, he just needs to full on enter the rush, and the team needs to let him do his thing like Ottawa did with Karlsson.

I keep thinking about Thomas Chabot's second season in Ottawa where they let him just go. Yes, there will be mistakes. But that level of production from the blueline isn't going to ever be flawless.

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
I keep thinking about Thomas Chabot's second season in Ottawa where they let him just go. Yes, there will be mistakes. But that level of production from the blueline isn't going to ever be flawless.
No doubt that he is super talented... what worries me is that so many of his mistakes are just him being casual. Most great players have a high level of intensity/sense of urgency to their game.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
No doubt that he is super talented... what worries me is that so many of his mistakes are just him being casual. Most great players have a high level of intensity/sense of urgency to their game.
Yeah, I hate how weak he is on the puck at times. Tanev made him look like Casey Nelson after he attempted that soft little feathery backhand flick. I'm sure the other team's wingers smell blood whenever they see Dahlin handle the puck at the point or behind his net.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

So how exactly does he want to teach him, because last night wasn't the first time Dahlin has been soft on the puck and other guys that have led to goals.

At what point do you change the way to approach a player to get the message through?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
MOVE. HIM. TO. CENTER!

He'd easily be the number 1 center on this team. With Tage's improved play, we'd have a good 1-2 center punch

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
So how exactly does he want to teach him, because last night wasn't the first time Dahlin has been soft on the puck and other guys that have led to goals.

At what point do you change the way to approach a player to get the message through?

That quote wasn't presented with context, Granato was referring to Dahlin pushing himself on a night when he doesn't quite have it - probably due to the schedule/fatigue. He didn't say this exactly but my interpretation was this:

Granato said that Dahlin is used to imposing his will on his opponent at lower levels of competition, and he still does that at times at this level, which makes him overconfident. However, he is still learning how to play at the NHL level through the fatigue that comes along with a condensed schedule; i.e. 6th game in 9 nights. He hasn't learned how to adjust his game to compensate for that fatigue (weaker legs, hands aren't as sharp, etc). Granato summarized by saying he needs better discretion, knowing when to settle for a safer play and when to push it through these situations.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Granato's patience with guys has always been way longer than the fans. I don't think Granato is going to change his approach.

He is approaching this like an elementary schoolteacher and not a Marine Corps Drill Sergeant.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The zone exits/zone entries/high danger chances generated numbers in that Athletic article support the eye test of what he does most of the time for me.

To paraphrase the quote of the night about him from Twitter - people are fawning over what Thompson has become but are ready to throw Dahlin out already have an odd sense of development.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
That quote wasn't presented with context, Granato was referring to Dahlin pushing himself on a night when he doesn't quite have it - probably due to the schedule/fatigue. He didn't say this exactly but my interpretation was this:

Granato said that Dahlin is used to imposing his will on his opponent at lower levels of competition, and he still does that at times at this level, which makes him overconfident. However, he is still learning how to play at the NHL level through the fatigue that comes along with a condensed schedule; i.e. 6th game in 9 nights. He hasn't learned how to adjust his game to compensate for that fatigue (weaker legs, hands aren't as sharp, etc). Granato summarized by saying he needs better discretion, knowing when to settle for a safer play and when to push it through these situations.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I also feel like that first SHG against was a breakdown in on-ice communication. Like it seemed to me that Dahlin had no earthly idea that he had a guy on him so tight.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe I'm nuts, but I also feel like that first SHG against was a breakdown in on-ice communication. Like it seemed to me that Dahlin had no earthly idea that he had a guy on him so tight.

If Skinner takes two strides to Saucy, it's at least a contested play as well. Leaving a trailer all alone is a massive no-no, regardless of who the person getting forechecked off the puck was.

Reactions: Zman5778

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Yes, you are nuts.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
MOVE. HIM. TO. CENTER!

He'd easily be the number 1 center on this team. With Tage's improved play, we'd have a good 1-2 center punch
Move him to the wing.. The last thing we need is another center that can't play defense. :D

Abraham de Lacy

I want to see him go full Nate beginning with hiring a sports psychologist.

Did not know this about MacKinnon. So he subscribes to a more or less Ketogenic diet. I actually tried that for the entirety of 2020 but gave it up when I got my knee injury. I've never felt better physically for that period but the food is the most boring and tasteless you could ever imagine. Lost a bit of weight yet gained muscles and strength.

I only ate fatty fishes such as herring and salmon with a few vegetables and the occasional steak, I even drank about 0,5dl of olive oil daily. No pasta, rice or potatoes .. not even seasoning: 100% carnivore diet and 100% boring. It did fix some of my physical ailments but the social side suffered.

I have wondered how common this kind of diet is among high level athletes. I'd love to try it again once my knee is back in order though. My food habits this year have been miserable, I love carbohydrates and sugar and beer too much.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I thought he got slew footed in a way that disturbed him, but not egregious enough for a penalty

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Just to add...
upload_2021-11-30_15-38-32.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad