Player Discussion Rasmus Asplund

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
It just seems too obvious to have him slot in-between Girgensons and Okposo next year. Effective players should never be thought of as "extras" especially when they bring something to the team that they sorely need. Everyone talks about upgrades to the defense corps, which is indeed needed, but here you have a shot-suppressing, strong defensive forward, and he's just an afterthought because he's not filling the net.

Reactions: Sabreality

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't get why Bergeron keeps winning it. He is great defensively but there are many others that are very close.

Well there are the old school folks who look at +/- and he does well there. Then there are new school people who look at his "fancy metrics" and... he crushes that too. So... yeah.

But the award was once often about reputation or if a checking player had a really good offensive year (Rick Meagher and Steve Kasper kind of come up there for me) or as some sort of career honorific (Stevie Y's comes to mind).

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
What an amazing career. Really liked him as a kid for some reason, but then he had that nasty concussion and it wasn’t clear if he’d make it back. He did, better than ever. f*** the Bruins, but Bergeron is all class and tough as nails.
There was a thread on the main forums a month or two back with Leafs fans arguing about Matthews being a legit Selke candidate. Someone had posted some of the advanced defensive metrics and Bergeron was 1st on like all of them, some by such a large margin it almost seemed fake.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think it would make more sense to use him more on PK, he is smart and Tage and Tuch also sometimes need a rest.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Thanks for this

Was curious who voted for ERod - Thomas Drance - he also had Matthews #3. Interesting choices to say the least.

Also, looks like Lance caught some crap on twitter for not having Bergeron on his list, although it seems he actually did:

You've gotta be kidding me. They are voting via email? How many other ballots did they f*** up?

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Haha. Peters read my tweet to them on ATW. They’re so dug in on their Asplund opinion. They bitched almost all year long that this team can’t defend and when this player grows into a defensive stalwart they don’t want him playing higher than a 4th line or off the team. Give me a f***ing break.
It's even funnier when you remember he started the year with 11 pts in 11 games and was a monster in the WC a couple weeks ago. Asplund isn't even bad offensively, he just isn't used in those situations enough to prove it.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
It's even funnier when you remember he started the year with 11 pts in 11 games and was a monster in the WC a couple weeks ago. Asplund isn't even bad offensively, he just isn't used in those situations enough to prove it.

I agree, Asplund isn't as bad as some seem to think or as his numbers might indicate. But I will say that the kid was absolutely snakebit for a long stretch in the middle of the season, right about the same time that Olofsson was injured. He was creating chances but absolutely nothing was going in.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Asplund's model girlfriend

Screenshot_20220818-084015_Instagram.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions