Value of: Rasmus Andersson, Markstrom @50% and Vancouver Canuck’s 1st round pick

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's funny, because I think the world of both Grushnikov and Okhotyuk from watching OHL and AHL games and think they both can be really solid 4/5's to help with defending while letting more mobile guys get up the ice. I have spent much time watching Okhotyuk in Calgary though, has it been that rough? He has both the mobility and throwback nature that seems like it should pair well in a breakout/takeout tandem as the takeout guy. I may be overly fond of him from his time in Utica.

Love Catton almost as much as I loved Benson even if it may be that he's a wing option. But yeah, two 34 year olds holding down 1C and 2C is certainly a point of concern. Maybe if Lindstrom falls (and his back checks out at the combine)? As a team that has struggled now for years to identify, develop and then retain centers as the key part of the start of their troubles almost 15 years ago... I hear what you say about the issues of finding centers.
I only saw Grushnikov play once this season with the Wranglers. He's got a long way to go. His puck skills are not NHL level. He's a pretty decent defender, but if you can't handle the puck and make a breakout pass you can't play in the NHL. Okhotiuk looked out of place in the league in his few games with the Flames. New team, new system, but it was not a good run here for him.

The best of the replacement level guys was undoubtably Joel Hanley, but he's 32. I don't see a 32 year old replacement level D being a need here. Miromanov showed some flashes. I think there might be something there, but he needs reps. We have the rope to give him if he can make use of it.

Reactions: Chainshot

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The best of the replacement level guys was undoubtably Joel Hanley, but he's 32. I don't see a 32 year old replacement level D being a need here. Miromanov showed some flashes. I think there might be something there, but he needs reps. We have the rope to give him if he can make use of it.

We sure do see the game differently.

To me, Miromanov was head and shoulders above those guys, and it wasn't particularly close. He dominated analytically despite tough deployment, and made up a great pairing with Weegar. It was 20 games, sure, and that has to be accounted for but his play was incredibly encouraging considering his lack of playing time in recent years. I'd argue he outplayed every defender on the roster down the stretch with the exception of Weegar.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Not sure what team would even be interested in something like that. New jersey I guess.

Not sure they'd give up Nemec for anything, so like Hischer maybe?

Brandt Clarke maybe if LA gets desperate.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I'm not so sure about that. I think he is generally very open about what he's feeling. The guy who clearly doesn't want to be here in Markstrom.

Markstrom is 100% gone, I listened to Andersson’s season exit interview 6-7 times and it sounds just like Tkachuk and Johnny.

It just comes off with the vibes.

Reactions: harv33173

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
We sure do see the game differently.

To me, Miromanov was head and shoulders above those guys, and it wasn't particularly close. He dominated analytically despite tough deployment, and made up a great pairing with Weegar. It was 20 games, sure, and that has to be accounted for but his play was incredibly encouraging considering his lack of playing time in recent years. I'd argue he outplayed every defender on the roster down the stretch with the exception of Weegar.
I think you are incorrect. I like that you always have reasons and a well thought out perspective. I think Weegar was playing at another level this season from any defender on the roster except Hanifin. He was head and shoulder above the other D on the roster after the TDL. I think Miromanov was a beneficiary of playing with him. Pop him on a pairing with a different player and I think he would have really struggled.

That said, I see a high ceiling with Miromanov. I do think both Pachal and Kylington were better than him down the stretch. Ras was really bad away from Weegar and Hanifin this year. I have hope that Miromanov can become a Wideman level player.

Markstrom is 100% gone, I listened to Andersson’s season exit interview 6-7 times and it sounds just like Tkachuk and Johnny.

It just comes off with the vibes.
I don't disagree that his comments typically can be interpreted the way you're interpreting them. I just have observed Ras, Coleman and Weegar always mean what they say publicly. I think Ras is undecided personally. I just think he has integrity.

BTW, I also believe Johnny intended on signing here until the Covid thing happened and he realized they could be isolated without family if it happened again.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What can the Flames possibly get for Rasmus Andersson, Markstrom@50% and Vancouver Canuck’s 1st round pick?

Thank you in advance.
that gets a signif return but not clear if more on that package -- which needs to be a fit to a suitor [who?] -- or separately.

I could see Rs gambling on Quick + Domingue + heir apparent Garand and moving Shesty
do not wanna do biz w/Jersey

could see something around core pieces
Shesty for Ras Andy

then you add to Markst and get a signif piece from NJ
would be tuff but Markst ++ might be enuf for dobson, given how old NJ is and while that says smart thing is add youth, they are already an old club, so win now amplified
but it would have to be a SERIOUS add if Dobson involved

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Another victim of McDavid

No, he does not want be part of a rebuild, if the team had some very good young players. he would not ask out.

And he also might want to go to a team very he can get a lot of points, so he can cash in on his next deal.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
No, he does not want be part of a rebuild, if the team had some very good young players. he would not ask out.

And he also might want to go to a team very he can get a lot of points, so he can cash in on his next deal.

We're begging someone on defense to run a competent PP. That's on him for losing that spot. We couldn't score worth shit and I think we were 2nd in defensive scoring this year. Who the hell is he going to go to that will get him more points?

He's signed for two more years. They'll be trying to win in a new arena by then

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You know who Murray Edwards is right? The only way we ever do a proper rebuild is if there is a new owner.

We have to hope our scouts can hit a bunch of homeruns. Right now we have Wolf as the only potentially elite piece in our organization and goalies are so hard to project. Our scouting staff did get Gaudreau in the 4th, Fox in the 3rd and guys like Andersson and Mangiapane in later rounds too. The challenge is we have a supporting cast, but no core. Have to find some elite pieces without top 5 picks, that's a hard thing to do.

Everyone is happy Conroy actually sold. I'm concerned because every piece he sold besides Zadorov and Toffoli he tried to sign to long term extensions first, likely at the insistence of Edwards. The only player we should have tried to sign was Hanifin. Lindholm turning down that extension was the best thing that happened this season.
Andersson from his season exit interview does not want to be here.
I had not seen Andersson's interview until now. That's unfortunate. Because you need those kinds of reliable veterans to turn that corner with the younger generation of leaders. That's a tough player to replace.

Regardless of what ownership wants, the Flames are in for a tough stretch of seasons. It just isn't feasible to expect a big turnaround when there's no infusion of elite talent.

Like another poster stated, trade guys individually. And target futures, not established guys.

Reactions: viper0220

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I had not seen Andersson's interview until now. That's unfortunate. Because you need those kinds of reliable veterans to turn that corner with the younger generation of leaders. That's a tough player to replace.

Regardless of what ownership wants, the Flames are in for a tough stretch of seasons. It just isn't feasible to expect a big turnaround when there's no infusion of elite talent.

Like another poster stated, trade guys individually. And target futures, not established guys.
Agreed. That’s why I think he would be ideal for Habs young up and coming core.

I’d pay big for Andersson as a Habs fan.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I'm not one of the people thinking that meant Rasmus wants out. I actually would lean toward him not wanting out. I do think sometimes he gets a bit overrated. For me, both Hanifin and Weegar were better defensemen than him this season. He hasn't been quite the same since he got hit by that car in New York.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
You can keep the Vancouver first and Colorado would happily offer up picks and prospects. Don’t know if Gulyayev, 2024 first+ or Ritchie+ gets the ball rolling or not though.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I'm not one of the people thinking that meant Rasmus wants out. I actually would lean toward him not wanting out. I do think sometimes he gets a bit overrated. For me, both Hanifin and Weegar were better defensemen than him this season. He hasn't been quite the same since he got hit by that car in New York.
If you listen to the full thing it’s not as bad as the Francis snippet. He’s got two years and will evaluate. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Flames did trade him though. Not sure I’d want him on an 8 year deal after his current one runs out.

Reactions: viper0220

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If you listen to the full thing it’s not as bad as the Francis snippet. He’s got two years and will evaluate. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Flames did trade him though. Not sure I’d want him on an 8 year deal after his current one runs out.
I agree with you. He's a player you could go either way with. If you think he'll sign a team friendly contract then keep him. If you think he's going to want top dollar then sell him this deadline for 2 playoff runs. Likely we'd get around 2 1sts in value for him.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
that gets a signif return but not clear if more on that package -- which needs to be a fit to a suitor [who?] -- or separately.

I could see Rs gambling on Quick + Domingue + heir apparent Garand and moving Shesty
do not wanna do biz w/Jersey

could see something around core pieces
Shesty for Ras Andy

then you add to Markst and get a signif piece from NJ
would be tuff but Markst ++ might be enuf for dobson, given how old NJ is and while that says smart thing is add youth, they are already an old club, so win now amplified
but it would have to be a SERIOUS add if Dobson involved

We're begging someone on defense to run a competent PP. That's on him for losing that spot. We couldn't score worth shit and I think we were 2nd in defensive scoring this year. Who the hell is he going to go to that will get him more points?

He's signed for two more years. They'll be trying to win in a new arena by then

I am not sure who will get him more points, its a gut feeling that I have.

True. But McDavid started the rebuild in Calgary.

Well than, McDavid is helping both teams in Alberta:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ledge And Dairy

I agree with you. He's a player you could go either way with. If you think he'll sign a team friendly contract then keep him. If you think he's going to want top dollar then sell him this deadline for 2 playoff runs. Likely we'd get around 2 1sts in value for him.
His interview didn't suggest he wants out at all. I have no idea how OP managed to gather that opinion. Calgary would be moronic to trade him this summer unless it's an offer they simply can't refuse, but by all accounts he is widely considered a leader on the team and may be a top candidate for the next captaincy. I think he had a pretty bad season by his standards but should bounce back next year. And if signs start pointing towards him not wanting to stay then we can consider trading him but certainly not right now.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
His interview didn't suggest he wants out at all. I have no idea how OP managed to gather that opinion. Calgary would be moronic to trade him this summer unless it's an offer they simply can't refuse, but by all accounts he is widely considered a leader on the team and may be a top candidate for the next captaincy. I think he had a pretty bad season by his standards but should bounce back next year. And if signs start pointing towards him not wanting to stay then we can consider trading him but certainly not right now.
It depends a bit for me on what he wants on the next deal. It he wants Nurse money than I want to move him. If he wants Weegar money we can sign him. That's a assuming he does indeed like it here which I think he does as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00