Rapid City

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Neither league is good. Its all overselled propaganda to the sheep

How else do you propose developing players not yet ready for the NHL out of juniors? Or would you rather say "one shot at glory out of juniors" and see the NHL have the same quality of play/many of the best players falling through the cracks issues that that the NFL has?

I guess you could try a soccer-style reserve league where you either play behind closed doors, throw open the doors to the practice facility either free or very cheap, or play before or after the NHL team's games

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
You still think the All Star Game matters, sad.....

Nobody cares about that game anymore. Its a burden more than a reward.

This is a rare case where I agree with you.

Where I likely diasgree with you is I'm not so much opposed to having an AHL All-Star Game, just to having it at an AHL arena that can't afford to host it. It should be on the NHL All-Star Weekend, like the Futures game in baseball or the D-League All-Star Game in basketball. There'd be no trouble selling tickets as it could be an inexpensive way for locals to attend an All-Star event other than the fanfest.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I still dont get it. It must be an East/West conference thing. Entertainment wise it's just as good as the CHL. Of course, I'm entertained by good, fast hard-hitting hockey like I see out here in the West. I guess if your one of those fans that only cares about bench clearing brawls, cheap shots, and talking about how great it is that they kept your favorite player for 6 years even tho he sucks, you might not be entertained.
I went to a UHL game once. It was embarassing. I couldn't pay attention after about the first 10 minutes. And that was when I was a CHL fan.
Either way it doesn't matter. The hockey landscape has changed and will continue to change. You either have to get with the program, or you may not have any hockey. And then these arguments would be pointless (not like they aren't anyway).

By now, you have to realize that he and SFTC Addict are ardent ECHL haters. Though they do have valid criticisms of the league (considering I've watched every Fuel game except for one Evansville & the Florida game which I had been looking forward to), it's gonna be hard to get them to say anything nice about the ECHL. To them, the fact that Rapid City has a decline in attendance is due to the fact that they had gone to an inferior league, and not due to the fact that they raised ticket prices and that their schedule still revolves around the funky format they agreed upon before the emergency merger.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Doubtful Esche wants to cede ownership of the Canucks owned franchise, PCS, since when is Utica an ECHL MEMBER?

Um, this goes back all the way to when the AHL wanted into Victoria (and the Canucks were kind of a silent partner). The WHL made more sense in Victoria... at least at the time (I wonder if Victoria city leaders believe that now).

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
How else do you propose developing players not yet ready for the NHL out of juniors? Or would you rather say "one shot at glory out of juniors" and see the NHL have the same quality of play/many of the best players falling through the cracks issues that that the NFL has?

I guess you could try a soccer-style reserve league where you either play behind closed doors, throw open the doors to the practice facility either free or very cheap, or play before or after the NHL team's games

I'm not against that. Are you really getting better beating guys you're more talented than? I don't know about that. I guess you could get used to the pro games but the NHL is faster than the AHL so I'm not sure it does you much good when the NHL is going to be faster paced either way.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This is a rare case where I agree with you.

Where I likely diasgree with you is I'm not so much opposed to having an AHL All-Star Game, just to having it at an AHL arena that can't afford to host it. It should be on the NHL All-Star Weekend, like the Futures game in baseball or the D-League All-Star Game in basketball. There'd be no trouble selling tickets as it could be an inexpensive way for locals to attend an All-Star event other than the fanfest.

I just don't see the point in All Star Games even at the top level. Having an all conference recognition teams is great...a game? Eh....its figure skating. There's barely any hitting or anything.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
To them, the fact that Rapid City has a decline in attendance is due to the fact that they had gone to an inferior league, and not due to the fact that they raised ticket prices and that their schedule still revolves around the funky format they agreed upon before the emergency merger.

The Rush also fell in the first round of the playoffs last year...to the Quad City Mallards of all teams! This season they are off to a 7-13-0-2 start and are just one point ahead of Brampton despite having played three more games than the Beast already.

Rapid City hockey fans are probably more dismayed with their team right now than with the league itself. Attendance may reflect that discontentment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad