Rapid City

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
After finally joining the ECHL after trying for the better part of two years, you would think the team would experience a boost in support but it seems that they're averaging around one thousand fans less per game despite having joined the superior league. I really can't fathom why this is, so can anyone offer some insight?

For comparison's sake:

2008-09: 4146
2009-10: 4811
2010-11: 4923
2011-12: 4700
2012-13: 4662
2013-14: 4497
2014-15: 3445 (through 7 home games)

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I don't know the popularity of football in the region but teams all across the nation see their attendance get great boosts after the high school and college football seasons.

Nov 28, 2014
Brampton
It probably kind of depends on the "hockey knowledge" in your city. I bought seasons within a week of the merger announcement and the sales girl said she was overwhelmed with calls ever since the announcement. I spoke to her again today and she said average attendance is up over last year.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
After finally joining the ECHL after trying for the better part of two years, you would think the team would experience a boost in support but it seems that they're averaging around one thousand fans less per game despite having joined the superior league. I really can't fathom why this is, so can anyone offer some insight?

For comparison's sake:

Ummm, the ECHL was not and is not a superior league.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Ummm, the ECHL was not and is not a superior league.

The ECHL is a much better alternative then the CHL, the old UHL, and much better then the old Colonial League was. I am quite sure you remember the old Utica Blizzard or MV Prowlers. A strong ECHL Franchise could have played quite well against last seasons 13-14 Utica Comets.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007

For comparison's sake:

This will happen in more former CHL cities once the fans see how the ECHL style of play compares to what they are used to. All while being told "It's better, look, so- and-so made it to the NHL 3 years after playing in this league".

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Compared to the CHL, you'd better believe it is.

Then why do the old CHL teams have a total of one win versus old ECHL teams this year? I've watched 8 years of CHL hockey and now 3+ years of ECHL hockey. The ECHL was and is superior to the CHL. There is no question about it in my (and my friends and family's) mind.:
EDIT: Sorry ckg927, I read your post wrong, and see now that you are saying the E is superior to the C.

Last edited:

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
The ECHL is a much better alternative then the CHL, the old UHL, and much better then the old Colonial League was. I am quite sure you remember the old Utica Blizzard or MV Prowlers. A strong ECHL Franchise could have played quite well against last seasons 13-14 Utica Comets.

That's funny.

No ECHL team can play with an AHL team

This will happen in more former CHL cities once the fans see how the ECHL style of play compares to what they are used to. All while being told "It's better, look, so- and-so made it to the NHL 3 years after playing in this league".

Exactly, most CHL fans will be bored to tears.

Then why do the old CHL teams have a total of one win versus old ECHL teams this year? I've watched 8 years of CHL hockey and now 3+ years of ECHL hockey. The ECHL was and is superior to the CHL. There is no question about it in my (and my friends and family's) mind.

I'm not talking about the quality of play, I'm speaking of the entertainment value. Chl fans will be bored to tears and beyond.

I do remember them all. the entertainment was much, much better and the rivalries were intense. You can't name one intense rivalry in the ECHL right now.

Compared to the CHL, you'd better believe it is.

Entertainment wise no it isn't. Watching ice melt is more entertaining than the ECHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
That's funny.

No ECHL team can play with an AHL team

Exactly, most CHL fans will be bored to tears.

I'm not talking about the quality of play, I'm speaking of the entertainment value. Chl fans will be bored to tears and beyond.

I do remember them all. the entertainment was much, much better and the rivalries were intense. You can't name one intense rivalry in the ECHL right now.

Entertainment wise no it isn't. Watching ice melt is more entertaining than the ECHL.

I still dont get it. It must be an East/West conference thing. Entertainment wise it's just as good as the CHL. Of course, I'm entertained by good, fast hard-hitting hockey like I see out here in the West. I guess if your one of those fans that only cares about bench clearing brawls, cheap shots, and talking about how great it is that they kept your favorite player for 6 years even tho he sucks, you might not be entertained.
I went to a UHL game once. It was embarassing. I couldn't pay attention after about the first 10 minutes. And that was when I was a CHL fan.
Either way it doesn't matter. The hockey landscape has changed and will continue to change. You either have to get with the program, or you may not have any hockey. And then these arguments would be pointless (not like they aren't anyway).

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
I actually went to one ECHL game a few weeks ago in Toledo vs Orlando. In my little experience with the ECHL compared to what I've seen with the AHL. Their is a definite difference in talent level, but not as much as you would think. I don't see much difference in talent between some of the top players and teams in the ECHL and the bottom of the AHL. I definitely prefer the AHL, but I wouldn't be that objectionable to having a good ECHL team if the AHL left. They are different, but I don't think the ECHL is that bad. The best comparison of the talent level I would say is division 1 college hockey.

MNWild9

Feb 16, 2010
Minot,ND
What I've seen is the Western part of South Dakota isn't very big on hockey. I have friends and family all over SD and the Eastern part is best place for hockey. I went to a Rush game last year and another one this season talk about boring hockey. I know its ECHL but the fans weren't very much into the game and the ticket prices are outrages. Now if you go to a Sioux Falls, Brookings, or Aberdeen game now those are fun. Yes I know they are USHL and NAHL. Plus the USHL and NAHL teams care about their fans as what I saw the Rush just cared about money.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I still dont get it. It must be an East/West conference thing. Entertainment wise it's just as good as the CHL. Of course, I'm entertained by good, fast hard-hitting hockey like I see out here in the West. I guess if your one of those fans that only cares about bench clearing brawls, cheap shots, and talking about how great it is that they kept your favorite player for 6 years even tho he sucks, you might not be entertained.
I went to a UHL game once. It was embarassing. I couldn't pay attention after about the first 10 minutes. And that was when I was a CHL fan.
Either way it doesn't matter. The hockey landscape has changed and will continue to change. You either have to get with the program, or you may not have any hockey. And then these arguments would be pointless (not like they aren't anyway).

Don't care about brawls, don't have a favorite player and despise cheap shots. Just calling it like I see it for my entertainment dollar value. There is no intensity at an ECHL game at all.

I agree landscape has changed. Developmental hockey with affiliations is where it is at and continuing to go, even at the AHL level. But there is still some intensity and rivalries that exist. The same cannot be said for the ECHL.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
What I've seen is the Western part of South Dakota isn't very big on hockey. I have friends and family all over SD and the Eastern part is best place for hockey. I went to a Rush game last year and another one this season talk about boring hockey. I know its ECHL but the fans weren't very much into the game and the ticket prices are outrages. Now if you go to a Sioux Falls, Brookings, or Aberdeen game now those are fun. Yes I know they are USHL and NAHL. Plus the USHL and NAHL teams care about their fans as what I saw the Rush just cared about money.

Boring is correct and the best way to put it.

Sidly

Sep 2, 2014
Harleysville, PA
Elimira and Royals is a great rivalry. Lots of hits, play continuing after the whistle and our fans are loud and obnoxious. (107 the most, my section of course)

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Don't care about brawls, don't have a favorite player and despise cheap shots. Just calling it like I see it for my entertainment dollar value. There is no intensity at an ECHL game at all.

I agree landscape has changed. Developmental hockey with affiliations is where it is at and continuing to go, even at the AHL level. But there is still some intensity and rivalries that exist. The same cannot be said for the ECHL.

Again I have to disagree about intesity. What your watching or have watched is different from what I'm watching. It's got to be. If there are any other Western Conference ECHL fans on here I would love to hear their opinion.
And I'm not saying your a fan of those things. I'm saying the CHL fans who like those things are the ones who will be dissapointed by the ECHL. I won't miss them much.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
Elimira and Royals is a great rivalry. Lots of hits, play continuing after the whistle and our fans are loud and obnoxious. (107 the most, my section of course)

This rivalry is a fan thing, not a team thing. Elmira has only a couple of guys who were ever on their roster before this year. Rivalries where players genuinely hate the players on the other teams are what build intensity, not necessarily that the fans of the 2 cities hate each other.

I'll admit I haven't attended an Elmira game this season, but the last couple of seasons the teams could have had a group hug before and after the game there was so little hitting or dislike for each other.

You could argue that the rivalry builds throughout the season since the teams play each other so many times, but the rosters shift so much with callups that the teams only have 6 or 7 of the same guys in March that they start with in October, so the players don't have familiarity or time to get to know the other team enough to hate them.

Gibbie42

Aug 5, 2011
Evansville, IN
This rivalry is a fan thing, not a team thing. Elmira has only a couple of guys who were ever on their roster before this year. Rivalries where players genuinely hate the players on the other teams are what build intensity, not necessarily that the fans of the 2 cities hate each other.

I'll admit I haven't attended an Elmira game this season, but the last couple of seasons the teams could have had a group hug before and after the game there was so little hitting or dislike for each other.

You could argue that the rivalry builds throughout the season since the teams play each other so many times, but the rosters shift so much with callups that the teams only have 6 or 7 of the same guys in March that they start with in October, so the players don't have familiarity or time to get to know the other team enough to hate them.

You should have gone to the Jackals - IceMen game on Saturday night:

http://echl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=11714

No hugs in that game, the IceMen were under the Jackals skin all night and it resulted in lots of chippy, hard hitting hockey. And this with players that played on the same team last year and a coach that coached in Elmira.

And for those of you who think the ECHL is boring why do you hang out in this forum? Ok you hate it, fine, so be it. Why are you here? Aren't there other hockey forums on this board to hang out in, presumably where you don't actually hate the league?

Sidly

Sep 2, 2014
Harleysville, PA
I admit I am young and didn't get to grow up with some of the leagues and the early E. I wish I did but I am one of those fans who enjoys seeing So and So make it to the show and take some pride that I saw him play before he was a big name. Same goes for the people I go with. It's not the best hockey in the world, but to fans who enjoy the development it's fun. Same goes for minor league baseball. I go to a lot of of the Phillies' farm teams because of the question of do we have a possible star in the making. Not because of good baseball. The game has changed, it has changed because of the NHL wanting a better product and not having to go over seas to poach talent, and dealing with players who may retire just so they can stay and home and play for their home team.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Season ticket sales are, anymore, a reflection of WHAT HAPPENED THE YEAR BEFORE. What happened last year was a lot of CHL uncertainty leading to a merger. While there's some commentary here that the merger helped, I will bet that ticket sales overall this year turn out poorer... and next year, better.

{Mod}

Last edited by a moderator:

speedrissr

Jun 3, 2014
Rapid may get a pickup next season when they get more games against Colorado. Right now, with the former CHL teams playing most of their games against each other, Rapid is getting the short end of the stick, since the closest team and potential rival, Colorado, has already completed their season series against each other (Two games to start the season). Regardless, Rapid is out on an island, with no other team even remotely close. This, along with the small MSA to draw fans from, doesn't help to generate fan interest to draw pure lovers of the game of hockey like clintoncomets. Rapid needs some help.

Al?

RLR

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I have been a mionr league hockey fan for ove 15 years. I live in Bakersfield and went thru the WCHL and now the ECHL. The WCHL had tons of vets and the game was smoother but slower. We had all kinds of rivalries.

All these years later we have ECHL hockey. We STILL have the same rivalries or new ones to take the place of those that went away. The hockey is much much faster and although not as smooth it can be very intense. I am not inot the fights etc. i want to see good hard hitting hockey. We have that here. When Bako plays physical, ie lots of forechecking then we win. If we get lazy we lose.

Bako is owned by Edmonton and we are the oNLY ECHL team owned 100% by an NHL team. I wills ay having them an owner even though they have obvious problems NHL wise we have an interesting mix on the ice. We have about 9 AHL assigned guys who are fascinating to watch. Now none of these guys would be higher thna a third line AHL guy but they are all rookies looking to make their mark. The rest are independent rookies looking for a contract. We have ONE vet and one tweener. So essentially we have all rookies, many of whom this si their first pro year.The game is exciting for the most part and in the last two games we have come form behind by two goals and scored the tieing goal goal in the last 1 minute of play. It does not get more exciting than that....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad