Rantanen

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Hey guys, Leafs fan here in peace...

has there been anything in the Colorado media regarding RFA Rantanen...over on our board people are obsessed with using Rantanen and Point as comparable for our own wonderful little RFA Marner

so I figured I would stop by and see if there has been any word on potential contract amount and term.

Thanks in advance

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Nothing really, Sakic likes to take his time with RFAs and there are few leaks from our org. Last we heard Sakic had talked to his agent and mentioned that some comparables were starting to come in from the Aho contract. But otherwise, there's little expectations that the deal will be done anytime soon.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Nothing really, Sakic likes to take his time with RFAs and there are few leaks from our org. Last we heard Sakic had talked to his agent and mentioned that some comparables were starting to come in from the Aho contract. But otherwise, there's little expectations that the deal will be done anytime soon.

appreciate the answer yeah...burnaby joe is going to make this team a contender...kinda jealous... we ended up with harry potter...

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO

has there been anything in the Colorado media regarding RFA Rantanen...over on our board people are obsessed with using Rantanen and Point as comparable for our own wonderful little RFA Marner

so I figured I would stop by and see if there has been any word on potential contract amount and term.

Thanks in advance
Not really, but this team is notoriously quiet. Last official comments from Sakic was using Timo and Aho as comparables, but most realistic speculation has been from 9.5-10.5

Reactions: Jared Henderson

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Not really, but this team is notoriously quiet. Last official comments from Sakic was using Timo and Aho as comparables, but most realistic speculation has been from 9.5-10.5

on a 7 year deal? or looking at 9.5-10.5/5 years because honestly more so than Point or Aho I think Rantanen sets our comparable for Marner

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Joe would like him to sign that for 8 years, but all the speculation is a 5 year-ish deal around the Aho $$$, maybe slightly more.

Only way they get him to sign for 8 is to pay him north of $9-$10M, IMO.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
on a 7 year deal? or looking at 9.5-10.5/5 years because honestly more so than Point or Aho I think Rantanen sets our comparable for Marner

I understand Leafs fans wanting to use Rantanen as Marner's comp, even if it's just to further cement a comp (using Aho and Point as well), but I do think there's something to the quote that someone had (Friedman, LeBrun, or Bob) that basically was Marner saying "I set my own comp" and disregarding what everyone else signs for.

As far as Rantanen...I don't think there's any question that Aho signing for what he did hurt his bottom line a bit. I ultimately think it'll come in somewhere in the $9M area (but less than $10M) and likely over 6 years.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I don’t want to speak for everyone else, but a lot of what I’ve heard from our fan base is the belief that it might end up a 5/6 year deal in the 9.5 million range. There’s been nothing from the Avs though.

I feel like all of us would love to have him locked up for 8 years though.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I understand Leafs fans wanting to use Rantanen as Marner's comp, even if it's just to further cement a comp (using Aho and Point as well), but I do think there's something to the quote that someone had (Friedman, LeBrun, or Bob) that basically was Marner saying "I set my own comp" and disregarding what everyone else signs for.

As far as Rantanen...I don't think there's any question that Aho signing for what he did hurt his bottom line a bit. I ultimately think it'll come in somewhere in the $9M area (but less than $10M) and likely over 6 years.
I thought I read somewhere that Marner would only take Matthews as comp. I might be wrong though.

Reactions: Foxtail

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FWIW I listened to Chambers on NHL Radio last night and he said when he visited the topic with Sakic on the night of the draft, Sakic said they contact Rantanen's camp and they had yet to get back to him. It's gonna be a slow process.

He also said he wasn't worried about an offer sheet because they remain the team with the most cap space in the league.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
9 Mil 6 Years is my guess. But i could swear we had that discussion before ... hmm

done_this_before_stargate.gif

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

Avs Management motto: Silent, But Deadly? :badidea:

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

Thanks in advance
Montreal did the work for us with the Aho offer sheet

Something like 5 years at $ 8 to $ 8,5 mil

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

Yeah Marner said he doesn't care about others his comp. is Matthews

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Don't think he'll sign for more than 6 years.

Thanks to Dubas (and Bergevin to a lesser extent) 5 years or less is the most likely scenario by far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad