Rantanen for Marner/Point or Tavares?

MagesticSSS

Oct 30, 2018
Got offered two trades and struggling to decide whether I should take one or just remain as is because I'm new to hockey and thusly horrible at predictions. This () is how my team is set up at present, and scoring cats are Goals 3, Assists 2, +/- 0.5, PPP 1, SOG 0.4.

1) My Rantanen + Monahan + Werenski for their Marner + Point + Dumba
2) My Rantanen+Trocheck for their Tavares+Draisaiti
3) Neither, your team at present is better

Leaning towards the first trade at the moment, because the rest of the guys in my 8 man league are telling me that Marner will get 80-90pts this season, compared to Rants 85-95, so assuming I'll loose about 10 there. They also say Point is worth about 80-85 vs Trochecks 70-75, netting me +10. Losing Monahan means nothing to me because Tro is better anyways and will be my new benched C. Finally, Dumba (~52pts) should in theory be worty +5 over Werenski (~47pts). As for the other trade, I'm thinking Tavares is worth 85 and Draisaiti 75, no real point doing that either.

What's everyone think about the trades and my point guesses? I'm getting cold feet since Rant is surefire to be a 90 point player imo since the entire line is ridiculous. But if Marner and Point really do produce like how my friends are predicting then I for sure benefit from this trade... am at a loss

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Stay the course imo
As long as Rantanen stays with MacKinnon I don't see either of them getting outscored by Marner.

MagesticSSS

Oct 30, 2018
Stay the course....keep Rant

Said no and now got offered my Benn+Trocheck or Monahan for Barzal+Karlsson by another guy in my league.

Just wondering if worth because Barzal has worse S% and +/-, and less goals/shots. But I do get an upgrade from either Mona/Tro to Karl so it's a tossup. Opinions?

MagesticSSS

Oct 30, 2018
Stay the course imo
As long as Rantanen stays with MacKinnon I don't see either of them getting outscored by Marner.

Said no and now got offered my Benn+Trocheck or Monahan for Barzal+Karlsson by another guy in my league.

Just wondering if worth because Barzal has worse S% and +/-, and less goals/shots. But I do get an upgrade from either Mona/Tro to Karl so it's a tossup. Opinions?

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

Two questions:

1. Is this William Karlsson or Erik Karlsson? Your comments make me assume William.

2. Are you only allowed to play 82 games per position for the year?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
God. Seeing that pic reminded me of how terrible yahoo fantasy hockey is. Worse than CBS and possibly ESPN too

Reactions: Hot Pockets

MagesticSSS

Oct 30, 2018
Two questions:

1. Is this William Karlsson or Erik Karlsson? Your comments make me assume William.

2. Are you only allowed to play 82 games per position for the year?

William, sorry for the confusion. And yup 82 games per slot

Friend of mine said Barzal > Benn which I suppose is true in overall pts, but Benn gets more goals which are weighted higher. Also has a bunch of other better stats like I mentioned in my previous comment.

W.Karlsson would absolutely be an upgrade from Trocheck if he reproduces his last season, but not sure how likely that is since it was a freak year for Vegas I feel. Don't really lose much on Tro anyways since I can just replace him with Monahan so its essentially a 2for1. Only really want to though if these guys are 80ish pters or if they're at the very least a decent upgrade from my current situation. Whatcha think?

EDIT: Alternatively, wondering if I should offer my Rantanen+Trocheck for Pettersson+Tarasenko. I feel like both of those 2 should be 80 pters and Rant I've already gotten 20 points out of so not too big a dip from here if he ends up with 90 at seasons end.

Last edited:

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
William, sorry for the confusion. And yup 82 games per slot

Friend of mine said Barzal > Benn which I suppose is true in overall pts, but Benn gets more goals which are weighted higher. Also has a bunch of other better stats like I mentioned in my previous comment.

W.Karlsson would absolutely be an upgrade from Trocheck if he reproduces his last season, but not sure how likely that is since it was a freak year for Vegas I feel. Don't really lose much on Tro anyways since I can just replace him with Monahan so its essentially a 2for1. Only really want to though if these guys are 80ish pters or if they're at the very least a decent upgrade from my current situation. Whatcha think?
I think I am strongly in favor of Benn and Trocheck/Monahan. My leagues count hits, but even Monahan with 0 hits is ranked higher than both Barzal and W. Karlsson right now. Last year Barzal and Karlsson combined for 354 SOG. Trocheck by himself had 287 (5th in the league).

Not only is Vegas unlikely to help W.Karlsson to a +/- rating of 49 again, his shooting percentage on 187 shots was a remarkable 23.4%. Of the 50 top point producers last year, aside from Karlsson, only Laine (18.3) and Marchand (18.7) were above 18%. With his SOG number even dropping to 18% would take from 43 to 33 last year. Trocheck only shot 10.3%. Make him an 18% shooter and he would have scored 51 goals. At 23.4% like Karlsson, Trocheck is a 67 goal scorer.

I think Benn and Monahan are steady, Trocheck could be trending up and Barzal and Karlsson will come down from last year.

Reactions: MagesticSSS

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
I wouldn't trade Rantanen away unless someone wanted to grossly overpay.
I'm a big fan of Barzal, but I think you should stay put on the 2nd trade option as well.

MagesticSSS

Oct 30, 2018
I wouldn't trade Rantanen away unless someone wanted to grossly overpay.
I'm a big fan of Barzal, but I think you should stay put on the 2nd trade option as well.

Yeah stayed firm on both. We ended up going Monahan+Werenski on my end for Point+Sergachev. I take a 5-10pt hit on D, but get a potentially 80pt C for a benched player. How do you think Point will stack up to the likes of Trocheck and Barkov if you don't mind me asking?

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
By the end of the year - my opinion is that there won't be much of a difference between Point and Rantanen. Point really deserves far more in terms of fantasy value he is that good.

MagesticSSS

Oct 30, 2018
By the end of the year - my opinion is that there won't be much of a difference between Point and Rantanen. Point really deserves far more in terms of fantasy value he is that good.

Uhh... well if that's true then I guess I really lucked out with the trade. Hopefully they both churn out 80+. Rant particularly I actually thought to be worth 90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad