Ranking the worst moves by Benning - #4

What is Benning's 4th worst move?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The Kesler trade was when I knew we were screwed. I was excited for the Benning hire up until that. Although looking back I believed the media coverage of him way too much and I find it absolutely ridiculous how easy the media is on him compared to every other GM here in my lifetime.

Reactions: MarkMM

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
other moves were more insane or indefensible but nothing set this franchise back more than the kesler trade. how do you possibly walk away with their lower first round pick and their seventh best young defenseman?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Eriksson signing was also garbage the moment it was signed imo. I didn't hate the Sutter trade nearly as much, if we're going by "at the time."

Signing a 31 year old coming off a fluke year to a six year deal what could go wrong?

My secondary team was the Pens so having watched a lot of Sutter; I used to give him as an example of the players you don't want on a winner. A mirage of a talent that brings down the people around him, while giving the illusion he's good due to a decent shot and speed. Hated him, hated we picked him up (and he's done nothing but prove me right.)

I thought Ericsson had a strong enough potential for a good fit. Least he has some good seasons when he played 82 games. His PPG with Dallas was excellent and Sedins historically pumped any shmo's production up. A 25 g 25 guy wouldn't have been surprising. The fact he got about half that production with us, I didn't see coming and don't think we can blame Benning for aside from overpaying and giving term.

That said, it's pretty comical there is this much to debate.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
It's hilarious (well, tragic) that there is such variance in the opinions offered in this thread and yet each one seems equally valid.

This. I pretty much am fine to agree to disagree with everyone once them present their side.

(Laughs out loud.... .... turns to chuckles... ...then tears.. all the tears.)

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
There's so many it's overwhelming.

I went with Gilman because had he somehow stayed, it's extremely unlikely that all the bad contracts get signed for what they did. And if not for this reasoning, it's incredibly difficult to pick which bloated albatross with negative value is the worst.

Kesler trade will be my next choice because the trade video showed he targeted Sbisa in the trade as the main asset and the rumours were out that #10 was available, or Theodore if we had dropped Sbisa and Bonino out, and I was devastated at the time that we didn't get Theodore.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Very puzzled by the votes for the Kesler trade. The Kesler trade was fine. In fact it may have been Benning's best trade aside from Baertschi. If we had taken say Vatanen instead of Sbisa it would have even been good. The problem with the Kesler trade was turning it into Gudbranson + Sutter while throwing in some picks, but those are separate transactions.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Starting to get the sense Benning is Keyser Soze:

"The greatest trick Jim Benning ever pulled was convincing the Canucks he was an actual GM".

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I still think the fact we are entering cap hell should be considered one of his worst moves.

Are we though?

Markstrom at G and Stetcher and Tanev at D and Virtanen and Schaller at F are all off of contract.

Then the following year (Pettersson's and Hughes' free agency years) we lose Sutter and Baertschi (assuming they aren't gone already) with Pearson and Edler off of their contracts and Demko needing a new contract. Beagle and Roussel's deals (as well as Eriksson's monstrous waste of cap space) are down to one year (and we have all 3 retention spots back too)

I mean I have 0 faith in our GM to handle this properly but "cap hell" isn't looking like a reason presently. Even assuming Myers gets 7x7 and Boeser gets 8x8 and Seattle chooses one of our ELC or low cost players instead of a bloated contract I think we're alright.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Are we though?

Markstrom at G and Stetcher and Tanev at D and Virtanen and Schaller at F are all off of contract.

Then the following year (Pettersson's and Hughes' free agency years) we lose Sutter and Baertschi (assuming they aren't gone already) with Pearson and Edler off of their contracts and Demko needing a new contract. Beagle and Roussel's deals (as well as Eriksson's monstrous waste of cap space) are down to one year (and we have all 3 retention spots back too)

I mean I have 0 faith in our GM to handle this properly but "cap hell" isn't looking like a reason presently. Even assuming Myers gets 7x7 and Boeser gets 8x8 and Seattle chooses one of our ELC or low cost players instead of a bloated contract I think we're alright.

Yeah its hard to tell. We have 22 contracts, we clearly have to sign Boeser and seem likely to add a D man, probably Myers. we have - according to Capfriendly - $18M roughly in cap space, Optimistically we spend 8 x $6.5 on BB, and the same cap hi on Myers. I guesss we have about $5M to spend on Motte Leivo Goldobin Teves and Schenn. And Hutton? Maybe we throw ... what ... $2.75 M x3 at Hutton if he chooses to sign with us. I think we want Leivo Goldobin and Schenn back. If they take near the league minimum. And it doesn't allow for EP bonuses.

The problem is the overpaid guys. Ericsson is overpaid by about $4.5. Beagle, Rousell, Schaller, say $1M each. Probably Pearson and Sutter too, for what they bring.

I guess the good news is that Benning can probably only be and idiot on July 1 for one god awful contract.

Reactions: Peter10

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah its hard to tell. We have 22 contracts, we clearly have to sign Boeser and seem likely to add a D man, probably Myers. we have - according to Capfriendly - $18M roughly in cap space, Optimistically we spend 8 x $6.5 on BB, and the same cap hi on Myers. I guesss we have about $5M to spend on Motte Leivo Goldobin Teves and Schenn. And Hutton? Maybe we throw ... what ... $2.75 M x3 at Hutton if he chooses to sign with us. I think we want Leivo Goldobin and Schenn back. If they take near the league minimum. And it doesn't allow for EP bonuses.

The problem is the overpaid guys. Ericsson is overpaid by about $4.5. Beagle, Rousell, Schaller, say $1M each. Probably Pearson and Sutter too, for what they bring.

I guess the good news is that Benning can probably only be and idiot on July 1 for one god awful contract.

Thats a step in the right direction then. I think Myers would improve this roster but at the same time he isn't Trouba or even worse Doughty or Karlsson.

As for the lesser guys mentioned I agree around/under a million is fine. Hutton is the wild card but even then his loss wouldn't be catastrophic with Hughes and even the slight hope Juolevi can stick.

Anyway all the junk is easily clearible if we need it to be moved...no ones asking to be bought out by the recieving team and only one guy is asking for a trade.

I agree we are not in good shape but "cap hell" isn't close to where we are yet. It could be so much worse.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Am I the only one dying for #5 here?

I think it's very telling that no move by Benning has cracked the 50% threshold yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00