Ranking the top 6 D of each Franchise

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
So I want to rank each Franchise's top 6 Defencemen of all time but I dont know each team very well. I have an initial list could you please provide feedback for me to make changes to make sure I have the top 6 for each team before I do analysis. The rules are as follows: I will only include players since 1967 and so their stats only count since 1967. Also a player may only make one team. For example I have Al McCinnis on the Flames and not the Blues. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks!! I also included Jets players for Coyotes ect.

Ducks Oleg Tverdovsky Francois Beauchemin
Fredrik Olausson Vitaly Vishnevsky
Ruslan Salei Jason Marshall

Thrashers
Tobias Enstrom Niclas Havelid
Yannick Tremblay Ron Hainsey
Andy Sutton Zach Bogosian

Bruins Bobby Orr Ray Bourque
Zdeno Chara Dallas Smith
Michael O connell Don Sweeney

Sabres Philip Housley Jay McKee
Michael Ramsey Richard Smehlik
Alexei Zhitnik William Hajt

Flames Allan Macinnis Dion Phaneuf
Gary Suter Robyn Regehr
Paul Reinhart James Macoun

Hurricanes Glen Wesley Mike Commodore
Sean Hill Adam Burt
Bret Hedican Ulf Samuelsson

Blackhawks Douglas Wilson Keith Brown
Robert Murray Duncan Keith
Chris Chelios Philip Russell

Avs Sandis Ozolinsh Mario Marois
John-Michael Liles Martin Skoula
Adam Foote Jon Klemm

Blue Jackets Rostislav Klesla Duvie Westcott
Jaroslav Spacek Kris Russell
Fedor Tyutin Jan Hejda

Stars Sergei Zubov Philippe Boucher
Darryl Sydor Richard Matvichuk
Derian Hatcher Stephane Robidas

RedWings Nicklas Lidstrom Vladimir Konstantinov
Reed Larson Niklas Kronwall
Steve Chiasson Willie Huber

Oilers Paul Coffey Jason Smith
Kevin Lowe James (Stephen) Smith
Charles Huddy Janne Niinimaa

Panthers Robert Svehla Gordon Murphy
Jay Bouwmeester Paul Laus
Gordon Murphy Terry Carkner

Kings Rob Blake Lubomir Visnovsky
Steve Duchesne Marty McSorley
Mark Hardy Mattias Norstrom

Wild Brent Burns Kim Johnsson
Filip Kuba Marek Zidlicky
Nick Schultz Willie Mitchell

Montreal Larry Robinson Patrice Brisebois
Guy Lapointe Andrei Markov
Serge Savard Eric Desjardins

Predators Kimmo Timonen Ryan Suter
Shea Weber Greg Zanon
Dan Hamhuis Bill Houlder

Devils Scott Niedermayer Brian Rafalski
Scott Stevens Kenneth Daneyko
Bruce Driver Viacheslav Fetisov

Islanders
Denis Potvin Kenny Jonsson
Stefan Persson Jean Potvin
Tomas Jonsson Jeffrey Norton

Rangers Brian Leetch Dave Maloney
Ron Greschner Carol Vadnais
James Patrick Brad Park

Sens Wade Redden Jason York
Chris Phillips Andrej Meszaros
Anton Volchenkov Karel Rachunek

Flyers Mark Howe Joe Watson
Eric Desjardins James Watson
Thomas Bladon Andre Dupont

Coyotes Teppo Numminen Keith Yandle
Paul Mara Randy Carlyle
Derek Morris Fredrik Olausson

Penguins Ronald Stackhouse Ryan Whitney
Larry Murphy Darius Kasparaitis
Sergei Gonchar Brooks Orpik

Sharks Mike Rathje Scott Hannan
Brad Stuart Bryan Marchment
Marcus Ragnarsson Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Blues Chris Pronger Eric Brewer
George Ramage Barret Jackman
Jeff Brown Erik Johnson

Lightning Dan Boyle Paul Ranger
Pavel Kubina Cory Sarich
Roman Hamrlik Filip Kuba

Toronto Borje Salming Bryan McCabe
Tomas Kaberle James Mckenny
Ian Turnbull Albert Iafrate

Vancouver Mattias Ohlund Ed Jovanovski
Jyrki Lumme Rick Lanz
Doug Lidster Sami Salo

Washington Calle Johansson Sylvain Cote
Kevin Hatcher Mike Green
Larry Murphy Rod Langway

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
There has got to be some room for Park on the Bruins D ;)
Or put Park on the Rangers.

EDIT: Just read the text before the pairings.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
There has got to be some room for Park on the Bruins D ;)
Or put Park on the Rangers.

EDIT: Just read the text before the pairings.

I remember I didnt know where to put Park as he was great for both the Rangers and the Bruins. Where do you guys think he was better?

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
It depends on how you're looking at the top 6 D. If you want the 6 best defensemen to ever put on a Flyers jersey, you're looking at:

Pronger-Coffey
Howe-Desjardins
Timonen-Jimmy Watson

If you're going for what they've accomplished as a Flyer, then it would look much different. Something like:

Howe-Desjardins
Jimmy Watson-Timonen
Joe Watson-Bladon/Therien

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I remember I didnt know where to put Park as he was great for both the Rangers and the Bruins. Where do you guys think he was better?

Well, as a Ranger Park had 6 all-star game appearances, 3x 1st-Team All Star, and 2x 2nd-Team All Star elections to his credit.

As a Bruin Park had 3 all-star game appearances, 1x 1st-Team All Star, and 0 2nd-Team All Star elections to his credit.

So, Rangers.

Last edited:

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Well, as a Ranger Park had 6 all-star game appearances, 3x 1st-Team All Star, and 2x 2nd-Team All Star elections to his credit.

As a Bruin Park had 3 all-star game appearances, 1x 1st-Team All Star, and 0 2nd-Team All Star elections to his credit.

So, Rangers.

I have added him to the Rangers. Keep the suggestions coming.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Montreal Larry Robinson Patrice Brisebois
Guy Lapointe Andrei Markov
Serge Savard Eric Desjardins

Montreal

Larry Robinson-Serge Savard
Guy Lapointe-JC Tremblay
Andre Markov-Eric Desjardins

The 5th and 6th positions are debatable between Markov, Rick Green, Eric Desjardins, Mathieu Schneider, Craig Ludwig and probably a few others I missed.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Montreal

Guy Lapointe-JC Tremblay

The 5th and 6th positions are debatable between Markov, Rick Green, Eric Desjardins, Mathieu Schneider, Craig Ludwig and probably a few others I missed.

I am unsure where to put Desjardins? Should he go with Montreal of Philly?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
New Jersey:

Scott Stevens - Brian Rafalski
Scott Niedermayer - Ken Daneyko
Bruce Driver - Paul Martin

Niedermayer is obviously better than Rafalski, but those first two pairs were real life pairings for a long time.

Slava Fetisov sucked in NJ, and didn't really adjust to the North American game until Detroit, so I wouldn't include him.

Honestly though, if you are doing one defenseman per team, it might actually make more sense to give Niedermayer to Anaheim, giving how important he was to them in their relatively short existence. In that case, I'd probably give the 7th Devils defenseman to Colin White over Kasatonov.

Montreal

Guy Lapointe-JC Tremblay

All the Hall of famers that have gone through Montreal and you include Markov and Desjardins?

See this thread for some better options: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=27509969#post27509969

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
New Jersey:

Niedermayer is obviously better than Rafalski, but those first two pairs were real life pairings for a long time.

Slava Fetisov sucked in NJ, and didn't really adjust to the North American game until Detroit, so I wouldn't include him.

Honestly though, if you are doing one defenseman per team, it might actually make more sense to give Niedermayer to Anaheim, giving how important he was to them in their relatively short existence. In that case, I'd probably give the 7th Devils defenseman to Colin White over Kasatonov.

All the Hall of famers that have gone through Montreal and you include Markov and Desjardins?

See this thread for some better options: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=27509969#post27509969

I was trying to follow the guys rules (only count after 67 acomplishments and can only represent 1 team, which eliminates among others Chelios and Langway). Should have included Laperriere.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not really a fan of the one team per player idea, because some guys just deserve to be on two. Not guys who only played a bit with another team, like Bourque for Colorado or Pronger for Edmonton, but MacInnis, like you mentioned might have been the best defenseman in both Calgary and St. Louis history (he and Pronger are a coin flip). But as for the actual lists:

Jim Schoenfeld deserves a place somewhere on the Sabres

I'd say Chara probably belongs on the Sens even though he won a Norris in Boston.

Pat Stapleton and Bill White have a case for being on the Blachhawk

Craig Hartsburg should probably be on the Stars

As was mentioned, Dave Burrows deserves a spot on the Pens, and Barclay Plager on the Blues

Last edited:

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
I am unsure where to put Desjardins? Should he go with Montreal of Philly?

Honestly (even though I included him in Montreal), probably Philly. Played there longer, and earned 2 2nd team all-star nods. Replace Desjardins with Jacques Laperriere on the Habs roster.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It depends on how you're looking at the top 6 D. If you want the 6 best defensemen to ever put on a Flyers jersey, you're looking at:

Pronger-Coffey
Howe-Desjardins
Timonen-Jimmy Watson

If you're going for what they've accomplished as a Flyer, then it would look much different. Something like:

Howe-Desjardins
Jimmy Watson-Timonen

Pronger went to the finals with the Flyers playing elite hockey it's probably more than Therien ever did.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Pronger-Coffey
Howe-Desjardins
Timonen-Jimmy Watson

Howe-Desjardins
Jimmy Watson-Timonen

Timonen is on the Preds, which he probably deserves. I'd put McCrimmon on the team though.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
New Jersey:

I was seriously considering Niedermayer to the Ducks but in New Jersey he won 3 Cups. He didn't really become a star however, until he came to Anaheim. Its a tough choice.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I was trying to follow the guys rules (only count after 67 acomplishments and can only represent 1 team, which eliminates among others Chelios and Langway). Should have included Laperriere.

Oh, I didn't even see the post-1967 requirement. LOL. I was like "Where's Doug Harvey?"

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
In order:

Mattias Ohlund
Jyrki Lumme
Harold Snepsts
Doug Lidster
Ed Jovanovski
Garth Butcher

HMs to Sami Salo and Willie Mitchell

Justification:

Snepsts = 4th all-time in team games played. Tough, reliable, rock solid defensive defenseman. Was the team's best defenseman as he helped the Canucks to the 1982 Cup finals.

Butcher = 11th in games for the Canucks, similar in style of Snepsts. Solid, tough. Both players mostly flew under the radar due to non flashy play but both were very solid players.

I'm assuming you looked at point totals to put Lanz ahead of both Snepsts and Butcher.

I can't put Salo top six; the talent is there, and so is the slapshot, but his injury history is too troublesome.

Pairings:

Ohlund - Jovanovski
Lumme - Snepsts
Lidster - Butcher

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Oh, I didn't even see the post-1967 requirement. LOL. I was like "Where's Doug Harvey?"

I’ll be honest, I was gonna include a quip like “But thanks for thinking I believe Andre Markov is better than Doug Harveyâ€, :D but I figured you didn’t read that part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad