Ranking the MVP Seasons Since 2000

Which MVP season was the most impressive?

• Total voters

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
upload_2020-6-13_13-38-7.png

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Ovechkin's 08 season would be much more impressive if he played defense, so I went with the guy that did (Sakic 01). Ovechkin having 11 more goals, while having 17 less assists than Sakic, doesn't make up that huge defensive gap.

Neonmile

May 9, 2010
Laval
Malkin in 2012 is, plain simple, the most dominant I remember a player looking. (Though I only started following hockey closely in 2007-08, after 6 years of being casual). He may not be THE best player of his era but at his absolute apex he's hitting a level of dominance than not even Crosby or Ovechkin quite reach. Just making pro player looking like foolish children, he was at that level for a good chunk of 2011-12.

It goes in the numbers too: He won the Art-Ross by 12 points (over peak Stamkos), despite playing 7 fewer games. When Kane won by 17 points over Benn in 2016, he played the same amount of game, every other double digit art-ross win since 2000 saw the winner playing more games than the runner up. He was 25 points up on the 4th best scorer, wich seems ramdom but is where "the pack'' started.

On less familiar ground he also had 96 primary points, wich is the 3rd highest total since 2000 behind Ovechkin's 101 in 2008 (in seven more games and a more scoring friendly environnement for elite players) and McDavid's 98 last year (in 3 more games and a more scoring friendly season period), so the best primary points ppg average of the era to boot. (fwiw)

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Malkin in 2012 is, plain simple, the most dominant I remember a player looking. (Though I only started following hockey closely in 2007-08, after 6 years of being casual). He may not be THE best player of his era but at his absolute apex he's hitting a level of dominance than not even Crosby or Ovechkin quite reach. Just making pro player looking like foolish children, he was at that level for a good chunk of 2011-12.

It goes in the numbers too: He won the Art-Ross by 12 points (over peak Stamkos), despite playing 7 fewer games. When Kane won by 17 points over Benn in 2016, he played the same amount of game, every other double digit art-ross win since 2000 saw the winner playing more games than the runner up. He was 25 points up on the 4th best scorer, wich seems ramdom but is where "the pack'' started.

On less familiar ground he also had 96 primary points, wich is the 3rd highest total since 2000 behind Ovechkin's 101 in 2008 (in seven more games and a more scoring friendly environnement for elite players) and McDavid's 98 last year (in 3 more games and a more scoring friendly season period), so the best primary points ppg average of the era to boot. (fwiw)
I'd say 2008 OV, 2011 Crosby and 2012 Malkin were all clowning the league. Simply levels above anyone else

Reactions: Voight

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ovechkin's 2008, then Sakic's 2001, then a variety of contenders.

Pretty much this but I didn't vote as it's really hard to compare seasons and in reality sometimes a season looks even more impressive because another player was injured.

Just take 2000 for instance Pronger wins the Hart but Jagr won the Art Ross by 2 points despite playing in only 63 games.

Sakic has his great Hart win the next year but some of the "greatness" is a matter of timing right?

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Sakic was 3 pts behind Jagr for the AR, 5 goals behind Bure for the Richard (keep in mind Bure was basically parking himself at the other blueline and waiting for a pass at this point) and like you said a few votes way from the Selke.

He nearly did the unprecedented Hart/Pearson/Art Ross/Richard/Selke sweep and throw in a Stanley Cup as a cherry on top. It would be one of the top 5 seasons ever.
he wasn't close at all.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Ovechkin was a one-man army who single-handily took the Capitals to the playoffs

He also swept all 4 of the major awards

He scored 65 freaking goals

I voted Ovechkin but just had to put out there that Price stole the Hart and Lindsay from the forwards, winning 4 major awards in the process featuring a team where Dale Weirse was the 5th higest scoring forward.

Just take a look at the difference between Price and Tokarski's stats lol

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I voted Ovechkin but just had to put out there that Price stole the Hart and Lindsay from the forwards, winning 4 major awards in the process featuring a team where Dale Weirse was the 5th higest scoring forward.

Just take a look at the difference between Price and Tokarski's stats lol
Ovechkin was still considered the best in the world that season though!

Reactions: abo9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad