12. Brandon Pirri

13. Michael Grabner
14. Josh Jooris
15. Nathan Gerbe

Didn't make the cut:
Nicklas Jensen
Marek Hrivik
Tanner Glass

I think for the most part, it's a list I can agree with, I have a couple players up or down a spot but it looks pretty good to me.

Let the season begin!

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
Buch and Vesey ahead of Lindberg, Fast, Pirri still seems crazy to me, but whatever. Hope they prove me wrong!

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Buch and Vesey ahead of Lindberg, Fast, Pirri still seems crazy to me, but whatever. Hope they prove me wrong!

Yes, I think Vesey need some time at the weight room too - he is talented no doubts, but NHL ready? I really doubt it.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
People will be disappointed when he doesn't hit 30 points, which is ridiculous

Who is going to be disappointed? He could easily hit 30 points, or he couldn't. Nobody is going to "disappointed" either way as long as he makes the team and improves as the season moves on.

Nobody here thinks he is our savior on offense. He's a good free, young prospect that most posters are excited about.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Its a pretty good list. I think Vesey and PB might flip if the vote was done again today based only on the Traverse Tourney.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Yes, I think Vesey need some time at the weight room too - he is talented no doubts, but NHL ready? I really doubt it.

http://thehockeywriters.com/battle-lines-drawn-as-rangers-open-training-camp/

"Barring trades or injuries, Zibanejad, Kreider, Hayes, and Miller all have spots up front, as do Rick Nash, Derek Stepan, Mats Zuccarello, and Jesper Fast. So, too, does Vesey, the Hobey Baker Award winner whose spot is contractually guaranteed with the free agent deal he signed this summer with New York."

Is that possible? Can he be contractually guaranteed a spot?

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Who is going to be disappointed? He could easily hit 30 points, or he couldn't. Nobody is going to "disappointed" either way as long as he makes the team and improves as the season moves on.

Nobody here thinks he is our savior on offense. He's a good free, young prospect that most posters are excited about.

I expect him to hit 20-25 points and if he does, I am happy. Anything more is a bonus, but there are a lot of Ranger fans who expect him to do what Hayes did in his first season, or even better

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Why would it be astonishing for a 23 year old hobey baker winner to score more than thirty points?

And because Vesey isn't that great.

A 23 year old who is basically being praised for what can be considered his overage years in the NCAA. Listen, I know I'm a lot more pessimistic on Vesey than everyone else.

Let's see if he cracks the opening night lineup first. If that "contract clause" is true, that he's "guaranteed" a spot? That's garbage.

You know how many 23 year old rookies scored more than 30 points last year? One. Donskoi. After playing five seasons in the Finnish League. Only five of these players even played more than 40 games.

It's less that I don't think Vesey is all that great, and more about tempering expectations.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
http://thehockeywriters.com/battle-lines-drawn-as-rangers-open-training-camp/

"Barring trades or injuries, Zibanejad, Kreider, Hayes, and Miller all have spots up front, as do Rick Nash, Derek Stepan, Mats Zuccarello, and Jesper Fast. So, too, does Vesey, the Hobey Baker Award winner whose spot is contractually guaranteed with the free agent deal he signed this summer with New York."

Is that possible? Can he be contractually be guaranteed a spot?

Very, very doubtful. It's just a thing people will say to make it seem like the Rangers bent over to get Vesey. That being said, between Vesey and Buchnevich, I think Vesey is the more NHL ready of the two. His game away from the puck is much better.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

And because Vesey isn't that great.

A 23 year old who is basically being praised for what can be considered his overage years in the NCAA. Listen, I know I'm a lot more pessimistic on Vesey than everyone else.

Let's see if he cracks the opening night lineup first. If that "contract clause" is true, that he's "guaranteed" a spot? That's garbage.

You know how many 23 year old rookies scored more than 30 points last year? One. Donskoi. After playing five seasons in the Finnish League. Only five of these players even played more than 40 games.

It's less that I don't think Vesey is all that great, and more about tempering expectations.

I'm sorry, but Vesey was 22 his entire senior year, that is not considered by any means an "overage player". 90% of the senior class are or turn 22 sometime during the year. And guess what, he dominated at 21 years old also in the NCAA.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm sorry, but Vesey was 22 his entire senior year, that is not considered by any means an "overage player" 90% of the senior class is 22 years old.

Overage, like when 20 year olds are in the OHL playing against 16 year olds.

Vesey, a 22 year old, playing against guys as young as 18.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Overage, like when 20 year olds are in the OHL playing against 16 year olds.

Vesey, a 22 year old, playing against guys as young as 18.

Ok, but again your wrong. 1/4th if the NCAA is 22 years old. What is there 5% of the OHL 20 year olds? There is a huge difference.

And like i said, he dominated at 21 also in the NCAA.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Ok, but again your wrong. 1/4th if the NCAA is 22 years old. What is there 5% of the OHL 20 year olds? There is a huge difference.

And like i said, he dominated at 21 also in the NCAA.

I'm happy to take the wait and see approach here, and I hope I'm wrong.

Also, I'd be interested in verifying the age breakdown of both of those leagues, if you have the time to back up those numbers :)

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Interesting to see what the community thinks. I would have had a hard time placing some of these players since I haven't seen them play, but I'm looking forward to seeing players like Vesey and Buch play in preseason.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The NCAA actually skews even older than your average class distribution as many guys play the equivalent of their Freshman year in leagues like the BCHL or USHL. There are lots of NCAA Seniors that are aged 22-24, or even older. It's not particularly similar to the CHL in terms of "over-age" players. The physical advantage for an over-age player in junior hockey is far more substantial than an "over-age" player in the NCAA.

Vesey was age appropriate. Not even close to being old for his class.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Depends on if you value the player they are right now or their overall value and potential. Did y'all specify exactly what the voting was based on? The player they are now and for the 16-17 season or the overall skill and value?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad