Player Discussion Ranking our Defensemen (In Terms of Value) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Jared Spurgie. Clearly our #2 at the moment, and he's still young.

Brodin is a close third.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Close between Brodin and Spurgeon.

I think both are pretty close as far as their impact in all 3 zones right now, though I think Spurgeon still remains slightly ahead. I guess I'll have to go with the younger player that is paid less and under contract for longer.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Coin flip between Brodin and Spurgeon for trade value, it depends on what another team needs.

Value to me is Brodin, Spurgeon, Dumba, Scandella, AHL guys. Scandella moves ahead of Dumba if his play returns to last year's form (looked better the last couple of games).

Brodin is ahead of Spurgeon because he can play both left/right sides, and carries his pair. Spurgeon hasn't carried a pair, he's complimentary.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Value to our team, Spurgeon.

Value other GMs would probably have, Brodin.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I voted Spurgeon. Very solid #2 with a right shot. Those are in high demand. I'd say Brodin's value is back up again, so he's close behind.

This poll was actually done on the Polls board last week. I won't spoil the results. ;)

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Spurgeon by the slimmest of margins, right now.

Spurgeon has stepped it up in a big way in the playoffs, is a solid #2D, Right-hand shot, and has been able to be a consistent 25+ pt player.

If Brodin can sustain his offensive production all year he'll overtake Spurgeon, but I'm not ready to say that he's all of a sudden a 30pt defender right now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The word " value" confuses me a bit. Trade value?

If you had said who is the best, I would've said Spurgeon. Most value? To who? Boston would rather have a Brodin. ANA already has a Virtanen. WPG has plenty of RHD. Do you need performance now for a cup run, or are you in a rebuild? LHD, or RHD?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The word " value" confuses me a bit. Trade value?

If you had said who is the best, I would've said Spurgeon. Most value? To who? Boston would rather have a Brodin. ANA already has a Virtanen. WPG has plenty of RHD. Do you need performance now for a cup run, or are you in a rebuild? LHD, or RHD?

Value to you in terms of production, contract, etc.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Spurgeon, for now.

If Brodin can keep up his current play, he could overtake Spurge, but for now I'll say it's Spurgeon.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
voted spurgeon, but I Kinda wanted to vote tie. Brodin is younger and if he can continue to develop better offensively, he will soon be our #2 in terms of value.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Went Spurgeon over Brodin based largely on past experience. He's having a rough year so far and if that continues (and Brodin cuts the turnovers in the defensive end) I would flip them. Don't think either is a bad pick right now.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Brodin.

Spurgeon is right on his heels, but if we are talking value you have to think other GMs worry about investing in a guy as small as Spurgeon. Fair or not, I think that's the reality.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Brodawg.

Only thing Spurgeon's clearly superior at is opening water bottles.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Brodin for me.

Spurgeon still has the feel of , when is he going to get hurt again. He has only played in more games than Brodin once in the last 5 years.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I think I'm going with Brodin, feels like its maybe just a tad too early but given his age I think its safe to assume he will improve enough to match what Spurgeon currently is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad