Ranking of Sens Front Office to other Hockey Operations Staffs

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
This thread is made to rank NHL Front Offices and their effectiveness and performance or lack thereof. From Best to Worst.

Specifically interested to see your takes on where the Sens Front Office ranks. Wondering your thoughts on the performance or lack thereof from Bryan Murray Pierre Dorion, Randy Lee and company.

It's always interesting to see it from a objective point of view unlike the Ottawa media who cover the team who are blinded by mediocrity. Are Sens in need of a Front Office Shakeup?

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It's among the worst if you base it on the team makeup and performance. They've had a cornerstone type player for years but still have a team that doesn't play a winning style of hockey.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
More worried about building up identity than putting a good product on the ice.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
how do you rank front offices? you'd need a methodology to do that and there really isn't one

That said, since the 0405 lockout, in 11 seasons the Senators have made the playoffs 7 times and haven't missed the playoffs in back to back seasons. They've got 5 series wins in that timeframe and played in a cup final. And that has been done as a so called budget team and budget, lack thereof, clearly can handcuff a GM.

The Senators have not drafted well in the first round for some time and that is a problem but all in all, given the track record over the past 11 seasons and their status as a budget team, their record is certainly better than most other teams that identify as a budget team and better than some that spend to the cap.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This thread is made to rank NHL Front Offices and their effectiveness and performance or lack thereof. From Best to Worst.

Specifically interested to see your takes on where the Sens Front Office ranks. Wondering your thoughts on the performance or lack thereof from Bryan Murray Pierre Dorion, Randy Lee and company.

It's always interesting to see it from a objective point of view unlike the Ottawa media who cover the team who are blinded by mediocrity. Are Sens in need of a Front Office Shakeup?

Well as long as you don't have a pre-conceived agenda.

The team loses a few games and the sky is falling again.

Between the "Senators are incredible, Karlsson is a living God" and the "Senators are the worst organization on the planet" folks, there are a few reasonable Sens fans out there.

Phu said:
It's among the worst if you base it on the team makeup and performance. They've had a cornerstone type player for years but still have a team that doesn't play a winning style of hockey.

The real shock would be if you ever had anything nice to say about the Senators.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Well as long as you don't have a pre-conceived agenda.

The team loses a few games and the sky is falling again.

Between the "Senators are incredible, Karlsson is a living God" and the "Senators are the worst organization on the planet" folks, there are a few reasonable Sens fans out there.

The real shock would be if you ever had anything nice to say about the Senators.

To be fair everyone knew Ottawa was over achieving and so you can expect some I told you so's when they fall back down to earth. I expect the same if the Leafs don't wind up as a bubble team and finish in the bottom 5.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
As a Leaf fan I'd say they are probably somewhere in the middle lol They aren't so bad where they are destroying the team and the teams future but if I had to pick a front office to run my team out of all 30 teams...They wouldn't be close to my first choice. They are perfectly average.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be fair everyone knew Ottawa was over achieving and so you can expect some I told you so's when they fall back down to earth. I expect the same if the Leafs don't wind up as a bubble team and finish in the bottom 5.

These "overachieving" and "underachieving" labels are used far too frequently when we're talking small sample sizes.

The Sens lose a game against the Rangers in which they soundly outplay them (including 7 posts), lose to Detroit in overtime (blowing a 5 on 3 earlier in the game), and lose a 1 goal game to Washington where they blow another 5 on 3. Meanwhile, we lucked out to our first win against San Jose where we were outplayed and won a few solid games in there as well. I'm just not sure where all the knee-jerk reactions regarding organizational health come from after 3 or 4 wins in a row or 3 or 4 losses in a row.

We've had some prospects come up short lately (e.g. Lazar) but have found others who have contributed to the team's fortunes (Stone, Hoffman, Dzingel, Ceci).

We're still a playoff bubble team (as most teams in the league are) but we do have one of the highest scoring cadres of prospects at the WJC, so there is potential down the road. I just get tired of the dizzying heights (SENS ARE HAWT!) and the doom and gloom (Sens are absolute garbage).

Perspective people.

Most importantly, we're relying on back-up goalies because our starting goalie's wife developed cancer. Injuries are one thing, but circumstances like that are not something an organization can necessarily predict.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
These "overachieving" and "underachieving" labels are used far too frequently when we're talking small sample sizes.

The Sens lose a game against the Rangers in which they soundly outplay them (including 7 posts), lose to Detroit in overtime (blowing a 5 on 3 earlier in the game), and lose a 1 goal game to Washington where they blow another 5 on 3. Meanwhile, we lucked out to our first win against San Jose where we were outplayed and won a few solid games in there as well. I'm just not sure where all the knee-jerk reactions regarding organizational health come from after 3 or 4 wins in a row or 3 or 4 losses in a row.

We've had some prospects come up short lately (e.g. Lazar) but have found others who have contributed to the team's fortunes (Stone, Hoffman, Dzingel, Ceci).

We're still a playoff bubble team (as most teams in the league are) but we do have one of the highest scoring cadres of prospects at the WJC, so there is potential down the road. I just get tired of the dizzying heights (SENS ARE HAWT!) and the doom and gloom (Sens are absolute garbage).

Perspective people.

Most importantly, we're relying on back-up goalies because our starting goalie's wife developed cancer. Injuries are one thing, but circumstances like that are not something an organization can necessarily predict.

You said it yourself, people know they are a bubble team, which means it's just outside, a wildcard spot, or squeaking into one of the last spots in the playoffs.

Sens were one of the top teams in the east. That's why they said they were overachieving. It doesn't mean we think they suck, we know they are a good team because bad teams don't make the playoffs.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Where were you last week?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not very good. But they have the NHLs worst owner and have no chance at any real success until he sells the team.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Their amateur scouting appears to be much better than their pro scouting. Lots of players in this years World Juniors who are having an impact (eg. Chabot and White), ability to find late round gems like Mark Stone, but lots of bad trades (Bishop, should have got more for Spezza etc.).

Not horrible but not great either. They never bottom out like a lot of teams. Wasted a lot of time on poor coaching choices before getting a proper one in Boucher.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Their amateur scouting appears to be much better than their pro scouting. Lots of players in this years World Juniors who are having an impact (eg. Chabot and White), ability to find late round gems like Mark Stone, but lots of bad trades (Bishop, should have got more for Spezza etc.).

Not horrible but not great either. They never bottom out like a lot of teams. Wasted a lot of time on poor coaching choices before getting a proper one in Boucher.

I agree there scouting has turned a corner with some good picks possibly in the system.

For critical thinking purpose it's not really fair to say the Senators have a lot of players in the World Juniors, therefore, their scouting is better. That is a paper bag argument that is more indicative of a good sign then a sure conclusion

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think it's unfair to judge the front office of teams with a hard internal cap against the league as a whole. That being said the Senators have never been a total disaster in all the time I've spent following the NHL which I guess is a testament to the presence of a semi-competent front office.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

srsly?

How would fans of 29 other teams know anything meaningful about another team's front office?

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Honestly, I think their team is pretty weak considering the amount of great draft steals they've had.

Pageau, 4th Rounder (most dangerous PKer last season)
Hoffman, 5th Rounder
Stone, 6th Rounder
Dzingel, 7th Rounder

Those are all guys they've drafted themselves and 3 of them are top 5 in team scoring. Plus they have EK (drafted at 15, easily top 5 from his draft). You'd think a team with that kind of late drafting success over the last few years would be able to be competitive, idk. Guess they haven't had a lot of 1st round success.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well our PK was terrible last year and Pageau is not doing so well this year.

The team was one of the youngest in the NHL as recently as two years ago.

People are treating them like some finished product.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
it depends on if we are considering the owner or not

melnyk is a cheap mofo, we really dont know how much he held back the sens and its management from making moves

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
How the hell is anyone besides Sens fans supposed to know how their Front Office is preforming? This is just a thread for people who hate the Sens to come in and take shots at the team when they don't know what they're talking about.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
One thing i'd like to criticize the sens for is not really acting like a team that doesn't have any money.

I mean they say they dont have much to spend but then go and do strange moves like signing over the hill vets for sentimental reasons and favouring players from ottawa.

You can take a look at the Isles or Coyotes as teams that also have strict budgets and they operate quite a bit differently from the sens when trying to maximize value

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
How the hell is anyone besides Sens fans supposed to know how their Front Office is preforming? This is just a thread for people who hate the Sens to come in and take shots at the team when they don't know what they're talking about.

I don't understand why fans of other teams can't see the shape of the Senators and be aware of their moves and restrictions?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
One thing i'd like to criticize the sens for is not really acting like a team that doesn't have any money.

I mean they say they dont have much to spend but then go and do strange moves like signing over the hill vets for sentimental reasons and favouring players from ottawa.

You can take a look at the isle or Coyotes as teams that also have strict budgets and they operate quite a bit differently from the sens when trying to maximize value

this, very true. when you have a budget you have to be even smarter than teams that have larger budgets. so the gap between need and performance is even larger.

I don't understand why fans of other teams can't see the shape of the Senators and be aware of their moves and restrictions?

Especially since Ottawa fans have proven themselves prone to heavy confirmation bias. The point of this thread is outside looking in. It is explicitly stated in the OP. Ottawa fans shouldn't take anything as more than exactly that, and should also realize that their views are irrelevant here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad