RANKING NHL TEAMS PROSPECT DEPTH

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would say carter hart is easily a top 20 prospect.
In terms of depth i know the flyers list goes about 25 deep of players with chancees to play at the nhl level. But most of our high level guys seems to have graduated. Patrick, Sanheim, Lindblom.....that is this year alone.

25? Got a list?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
25? Got a list?

1. Hart
2. Myers
3. Frost
4. Lindblom
5. Rubtsov
6. Allison
7. Morin
8. Sandstrom
9. Vorobyev
10. Ratcliffe
11. Laczynski
12. Friedman
13. Aube-Kubel
14. Hogberg
15. Strome
16. Kase
17. Marody
18. Stolarz
19. Vecchione
20. Ustemiko

Bernhardt, Lyksell, Sushko and Bunnaman

this is from appleyard
I would also add,
Carsen Twarynski

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
1. Hart
2. Myers
3. Frost
4. Lindblom
5. Rubtsov
6. Allison
7. Morin
8. Sandstrom
9. Vorobyev
10. Ratcliffe
11. Laczynski
12. Friedman
13. Aube-Kubel
14. Hogberg
15. Strome
16. Kase
17. Marody
18. Stolarz
19. Vecchione
20. Ustemiko

this is from appleyard
I would also add,
Carsen Twarynski
top 11 i realistically see being NHL'ers. Then i think it's a big drop off. I'd probably put Sushko somewhere in the top 15-17 despite his stats

Reactions: Devonator

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
top 11 i realistically see being NHL'ers. Then i think it's a big drop off. I'd probably put Sushko somewhere in the top 15-17 despite his stats

This list doesn't even include Goulbourne who has played 9 games for us this year. Aube Kubel will most likely be on the roster next year. Carsen Twarynski is going to put up 40 goals in the whl, Stolarz when healthy is our most athletic goalie. Strome is the big what if, if he can be an average skater he will be in the nhl. Ratcliffe a 40 goal scoring 2nd round draft pick is our 10th best prospect. that is the type of depth we have.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
This list doesn't even include Goulbourne who has played 9 games for us this year. Aube Kubel will most likely be on the roster next year. Carsen Twarynski is going to put up 40 goals in the whl, Stolarz when healthy is our most athletic goalie. Strome is the big what if, if he can be an average skater he will be in the nhl. Ratcliffe a 40 goal scoring 2nd round draft pick is our 10th best prospect. that is the type of depth we have.

I'm aware, hence why i think your top11 are pretty realistic bets. Which is very very good. I'm aware of ratcliffe and like him a lot. A lot of finesse for a 6'5 guy. nice hands.

I just think after lacyzynski it's a drop off in terms of NHL talent after him. That doesn't mean nobody else makes it.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Pittsburgh doesn't have much in the way of high end talent. Just Sprong and maybe Bellivere. They have done well in producing what they need in depth forwards, and have drafted well out of NCAA. No one ever really talked about guys like Rust or Guentzel, but they could have similar players in the pipeline in Dipauli, Lafferty, Bluegars, Angello. Not high end guys, but hopefully the right guys. Support players for the core. They haven't really had a high end forward prospect since Staal with the next best being Guentzel or maybe Kapanen.

They are quite bare in regards to defenseman.

They are definitely in the bottom half of the league all things considered.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
1. Hart
2. Myers
3. Frost
4. Lindblom
5. Rubtsov
6. Allison
7. Morin
8. Sandstrom
9. Vorobyev
10. Ratcliffe
11. Laczynski
12. Friedman
13. Aube-Kubel
14. Hogberg
15. Strome
16. Kase
17. Marody
18. Stolarz
19. Vecchione
20. Ustemiko

this is from appleyard
I would also add,
Carsen Twarynski

When you consider the guys drafted the last 3 or 4 years, and not considered prospects, the young talent in the Flyers pipeline is pretty impressive:

Nolan Patrick
Travis Konecny
Travis Sanheim
Ivan Provorov
Robert Hagg

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
With the graduations of Kapanen and Dermott, the Leafs are no longer in the top-15. I'd say not even top-20 anymore.

1. Liljegren
2. Grundstrom
3. Johnsson
4. Korshkov
5. Bracco

If we're talking u-23 though, we're in the conversation for 1st with pretty much only the Jets.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
In terms of depth i know the flyers list goes about 25 deep of players with chancees to play at the nhl level. But most of our high level guys seems to have graduated. Patrick, Sanheim, Lindblom.....that is this year alone.

Doubt it.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
1. Steel
2. Terry
3. Mahura
4. Larsson
5. Comtois
6. Welinski
7. Kossila
8. Pettersson
9. Jones
10. Eriksson Ek
11-15 (no particular order): Fiore, Roy, Morand, Badini, Blandisi

There's a couple good prospects here but overall just a whole lot of "what-ifs", wild-cards, and guys nearing the age of 25. Depth starts dropping off after #5, but there are some players below that mark that can start making moves up the list.

Probably a late-teens, early-twenties group as far as rankings go. Depends on how our wild-cards turn out. Guys like Badini, Fiore, and Eriksson Ek are the main ones to look out for. Morand, too.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
I think Philly's system has a lot more quantity than quality. WHich isn't to say they don't have quality prospects, but as of right now they don't really seem to have just one guy who looks like he could be a bonafide stud, outside of Carter Hart but goalies are just such a dart board that he's certainly no sure thing.

Morgan Frost, Wade Allison, Isaac Ratcliffe, and German Rubtsov all look like they can be effective middle six players, some with more upside than others.

Mikhail Vorobyev, Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Tanner Laczynski, and Cooper Marody are pretty good sleeper prospects who could make our bottom 6 actually sonewhat of a threat to score.

Sanheim and Myers both still look promising on defense, if Sanheim still counts as a prospect. Killed it in the AHL but the bounces haven't found their way to the NHL, which isn't really indicative of how he's played, he's just been very snake-bitten. That being said there is still possibility that he could be one of those AHL juggernauts who couldn't quite make it in the NHL, but I think he'll be very good.

I haven't watched much of Myers in the AHL this year but from all reports he has been solid, if unspectacular. If all pans out well he could be the steady defensive lookout for Sanheim and his offensive game.

Im still leaving out Nolan Patrick, who got off to a slow start but is now showing that he could be a really good #2 Center and if he keeps improving, maybe even a #1C. But I can definitely see why fans think guys like Petersson and Mittlestadt have higher ceilings, both look much more explosive and better stickhandlers than Patrick.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I'm guessing Montreal is probably out of the top 20 at this point. Our main prospects are:

Jake Evans - if he signs, looks like a solid two-way guy, perhaps 35-40 pts potential. MTL doesn't have much going on at center so he could be slotted higher on the depth chart.

Nikita Scherbak - showing good signs at the NHL level, but still a lot to work on. Offensive instincts are there, but don't think he ever becomes a top-end scorer. More like a 2nd line offensive wing, 45-50 points potential.

Will Bitten - seems like he's having a good junior career, may end up similar to Gallagher i.e. smallish winger with a big motor who can contribute offensively. Will likely need some seasoning in AHL.

Noah Juulsen - has been great in the NHL, looks like a lock for the team next season. Has all the tools; size, mobility, physical abilities, even some offensive skills. Defensive play not on point yet for NHL but will come around.

Ryan Poehling - doing well in College, potential seems to be a decent 2C with two-way abilities. Much like Evans, but higher ceiling.

Joni Ikonen - boom or bust prospect but solid offensive skills and skating. Wildcard. Couple of years away for sure. Would be nice to see him in Laval soon.

Michael McCarron - seems like he'll never be more than a bottom-6 guy, but I feel like he can still contribute kind of like Brian Boyle. He may be a late bloomer. Has some skills but skating and timing still needs work.

Cayden Primeau - the goalie is doing very well this season but MTL is stacked in goals with Price signed long term and Lindgren as the backup next season, with McNiven/Fucale developping in Laval. Fucale has had the best year of the 3 so far. McNiven a bit of a letdown for me.

If we're stricly looking at young roster players + prospects Montreal has some nice depth but lacks top-end talent, although guys like Drouin, Galchenyuk, Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak, Poehling and Lehkonen have relatively high ceilings. Defense is lacking in terms of quality prospects.

Centers - Drouin, Poehling, Evans, Danault, DeLaRose, McCarron
Wingers - Lehkonen, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Hudon, Bitten, Ikonen
Defense: Mete, Juulsen, Reilly, Lernout, Valiev
Goalies: Lindgren, McNiven, Primeau, Fucale

Reactions: SantaClaus

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
For the Jets it'd probably be. .

1. Kristian Vesalainen
2. Sami Niku
3. Tucker Poolman
4. Mason Appleton
5. Dylan Samberg
6. Eric Comrie
7. Michael Spacek
8. Mikhail Berdin
9. Logan Stanley
10. Luke Green

Or. . Something like that. Top 4 are easy, might not be in the same order for everyone. After that it's anyones guess. Decent pool considering the young guys we have on the team. No longer top 5 or probably 10 anymore though.

Didn't count Roslovic or Petan (or Connor obviously)

Edit : forgot Lemieux. He'd be just behind Samberg for me.

Last edited:

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I'm guessing Montreal is probably out of the top 20 at this point. Our main prospects are: ...

Centers - Drouin, Poehling, Evans, Danault, DeLaRose, McCarron
Wingers - Lehkonen, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Hudon, Bitten, Ikonen
Defense: Mete, Juulsen, Reilly, Lernout, Valiev
Goalies: Lindgren, McNiven, Primeau, Fucale

Some scary names made that top list: 7th rounder in this draft, a 24 yrs old guy picked up at tdl for a 5th, an echler, McCarron probably not resigned considering he is trending down in the Ahl, undrafted guys.

Putting Danault (25), Galchenyuk (24) and Gallagher (25) in a top prospect or U23 list?

Even 20th is a reach imho.

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
I complied a list of prospects, from every team, that is comparable to Kole Lind. This is to show other teams have similar prospects comparable to Kole Lind - most of these prospects, were picked very, very late (unlike Lind) so that is to be taken into consideration before we nitpick a player with 1.27 pts/game to Lind's 1.62 pts/game.

Kole Lind - Drafted 33rd overall, 2017 - 1.62 pts/game (1998 born)

In comparison:

ANA - F Maxime Comtois - Drafted 50th overall, 2017 - 1.55 pts/game (1999 born)
ARI - F Tyler Steenbergen - Drafted 128th overall, 2017 - 1.85 pts/game (1998 born)
BOS -F Jack Studnicka - Drafted 53rd overall, 2017 - 1.06 pts/game (1999 born)
BUF - F Cliff Pu - Drafted 69th overall, 2016 - 1.27 pts/game (1998 born)
CGY - F Dillon Dube - Drafted 56th overall, 2016 -1.50 pts/game (1998 born)
CAR - F Stelio Mattheos - Drafted 73rd overall, 2017 - 1.32 pts/game (1999 born)
CHI - No comparable, have hardly selected from WHL/OHL/QMJHL
COL - D Connor Timmins - Drafted 32nd overall, 2017 - 1.12 pts/game (1998 born)
CBJ - F Vitaly Abramov - Drafted 65th overall, 2016 - 1.87 pts/game (1998 born)
DAL - F Jason Robertson - Drafted 39th overall, 2017 - 1.30 pts/game (1999 born)
DET - No comparable
EDM - F Kirill Maksimov - Drafted 146th overall, 2017 - 1.23 pts/game (1999 born)
FLA - F Aleksi Heponiemi - Drafted 40th overall, 2017 - 2.16 pts/game (1999 born)
LAK - F Jaret Anderson-Dolan - Drafted 41st overall, 2017 - 1.33 pts/game (1999 born)
VGK - D Nicolas Hague - Drafted 34th overall, 2017 - 1.15 pts/game (1998 born)
MIN - F Dmitry Sokolov - Drafted 196th overall, 2016 - 1.47 pts/game (1998 born)
MTL - No comparable
NSH - No comparable, have hardly selected from WHL/OHL/QMJHL
NJD - No comparable
NYI - D David Quenneville - Drafted 200th, 2016 - 1.17 pts/game (1998 born)
NYR - F Ty Ronning - Drafted 201st overall, 2016 - 1.20 pts/game (1997 born)
NYR - F Brett Howden - Drafted 27th overall, 2016 - 1.50 pts/game (1998 born)
OTT - F Drake Batherson - Drafted 121st overall, 2017 - 1.53 pts/game (1998 born)
PHI - F Morgan Frost - Drafted 27th overall, 2017 - 1.67 pts/game (1999 born)
PIT - No comparable, have hardly selected from WHL/OHL/QMJHL
SJ - No comparable
STL - F Jordan Kyrou - Drafted 35th overall, 2016 - 1.96 pts/game (1998 born)
TB - F Boris Katchouk - Drafted 44th overall, 2016 - 1.48 pts/game (1998 born)
TB - F Taylor Raddysh - Drafted 58th overall, 2016 - 1.45 pts/game (1998 born)
TB - F Otto Somppi - Drafted 206th overall, 2016 - 1.42 pts/game (1998 born)
TOR - No comparable, prospects from 2016 have mostly turned pro
WSH - No comparable
WPG - F Skyler McKenzie - Drafted 198th overall, 2017 - 1.20 pts/game (1998 born)

All these players are progressing very well.

So, I guess we can say other teams truly do have prospects comparable to ours opposed to what people seem to think.

If you compare it by draft year (including 1st rounders), and factor in league, the list becomes smaller:

PLAYER/LEAGUE/POINTS PER GAME/PRIMARY POINTS PER GAME

Kole Lind/WHL/1.62 ppg/ 1.45 primary ppg

Alexsi Heponiemi/WHL/2.16/1.46
Gabe Vilardi /OHL/1.83/ 1.38
Morgan Frost/OHL/1.67/ 1.33
Kailer Yamamoto/WHL/1.59/1.21
Cody Glass/WHL/1.56/1.15
Robert Thomas/OHL/1.54/1.12
Maxime Comtois/QMJHL/1.55/1.19
Nick Suzuki/OHL /1.52/1.15

*Didn't include Steenbergen nor Batherson because technically they are playing in their D+2 season (were eligible for 2016 draft).

Looking at that list, Kole Lind comes in 4th in ppg and 2nd in primary ppg when compared to other CHLers playing in their D+1 season. Across all three leagues, he's ranked 4th in primary ppg. Production wise, Kole Lind is definitely above his class for forwards. Lots of teams have great prospects in the CHL, but not many of those prospects are as good as Lind.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Goalies are already too volatile as prospects, and what does that make Shesterkin, Samsonov, Demko? Way too volatile and too much debate to put any goalie in the top 20 really "easily". But if it were up to me, only the two Russians could make a decent case to be in it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
1. Hart- Best goalie in CHL
2. Myers- former PPG in QMJHL
3. Frost- tied for 1st in OHL scoring
4. Lindblom- 4th in SHL scoring last year
5. Rubtsov- WJC player, disappointing yeR being just under a PPG
6. Allison- was top 3 in NCAA scoring before getting injured for the season
7. Morin- the beast
8. Sandstrom- WJC Goalie of the tourney last year
9. Vorobyev- top WJC scorer
10. Ratcliffe- 39 goals and PPG this year
11. Laczynski- WJC player...top 16 in NCAA scoring
12. Friedman- AHL rookie
13. Aube-Kubel- was keDing AHL in ES scoring a week ago, not sure now
14. Hogberg- SHL top 4 Dman
15. Strome- over a PPG in OHL
16. Kase- leads SHL team in points
17. Marody- 9th in NCAA scoring
18. Stolarz- lost season due to injury
19. Vecchione- not sure he will be anything more than a 4th liner
20. Ustemiko- one of the top goalies in MHL
Bernhardt- SHL Dman
Lyksell- SHL rookie at age 18
Sushko- almost a PPG IN OHL, had great WJC
Bunnaman- did not improve over last season
Carsen Twarynski- 43 goals and over a PPG in WHL
Cates- almost a PPG in USHL
Laberge- finally seems like he is getting his game together after serious concussion

I might as well add info to it.

Given that Patrick, Sanheim, Hagg and Leier all graduated to the NHL this year along with Laughton, that is a deep list with lots of upside. The Flyers don't have room for them all. Especially considering we will be likely adding 2 more 1st rounders at the draft and at this rate, they could both be top 16 picks.

Last edited:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Blues have a great prospect pool
Walman I’m a big fan of but haven’t kept track of him recently
They also have Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Thompson, Foley, Husso, Blais, Toropchenko all guys with good potential. It’s deep and also has high end talent in every position
Trust me when I say that trying to argue anything positive relating to the Blues with that guy is like trying to convince the general public that Hitler was an okay dude.

He has such a childish bias against the Blues, so I wouldn't recommend following up with a response to him.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Trust me when I say that trying to argue anything positive relating to the Blues with that guy is like trying to convince the general public that Hitler was an okay dude.

He has such a childish bias against the Blues, so I wouldn't recommend following up with a response to him.
No kidding. As a Canucks fan, he's kind of embarrassing...

Reactions: jd22

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
With the graduations of Kapanen and Dermott, the Leafs are no longer in the top-15. I'd say not even top-20 anymore.

1. Liljegren
2. Grundstrom
3. Johnsson
4. Korshkov
5. Bracco

If we're talking u-23 though, we're in the conversation for 1st with pretty much only the Jets.
Colorado's U23 would include Nathan MacKinnon, Mikko Rantanen, Nikita Zadorov, Tyson Jost, JT Compher and Sam Girard so I think they'd be up there.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Lool, our fanbases should get together and compare notes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad