Prospect Info: Ranking #7

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
1. Chris Bigras D, Owen Sound (#32 overall 2013) (105 votes, 78.10%)
2. Conner Bleackley C, Red Deer (#23 overall 2014) (81 votes, 54.32%)
3. Duncan Siemens D, Lake Erie (#11 overall 2011) (83 votes, 54.22%)
4. Joey Hishon C, Lake Erie (#17 overall 2010) (66 votes, 77.27%)
5. Stefan Elliott D, Lake Erie (#49 overall 2009) (73 votes, 79.45%)
6. Sami Aittokallio G, Lake Erie (#107 overall 2010) (62 votes, 50.00%)

2qs88z6.jpg

Please continue voting to rank our prospects using your own criteria to determine order. New polls every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and this one will run through until Friday. Please post who you would like to be added to the next poll. Thank you for voting!

Added Will Butcher

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not high on Sgarbosssa.

Some other names will get mentioned and probably voted in but I'm throwing out there Heard and Corbett.

And voted Bourke, I'm a fan of his. Really excited to see him in LE.

AVS1819

Apr 4, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Getting tough to choose at this point, but I like Bourke's top 6 potential combined with his relentless work ethic.

Add Rendulic or Pickard

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Bourke, then Wood, then I'm not sure between Magyar and Geertsen.

Also, Sgarbossa should be up there before Heard or any of our new additions imo. Maybe Will before him, that's about it.

Add Pickard.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm pretty certain Sgarbossa will never play for the Avs again. Heard has a chance still and I think Rendulic might be on the short list for call ups this year so that's why I'd vote those two first.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm pretty certain Sgarbossa will never play for the Avs again.

I wouldn't go that far, but he has to show up in training camp. He has always had attitude issues and problems with getting comfortable. Last year might prove to be a wake up call, and he might come into camp with something to prove.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I have thought about that, Boss has one more year left on his deal and he might come in and have a good camp and year just as likely as anyone. But he still has that bad year to overcome (and it was bad) while others such as Agozzino and Smith had good years and they might continue to build on them. The there are Rendulic and Everberg who were brought in to probably get a look sooner than later. Then Hishon and Carey who at least saw time last season and are likely higher on the call up list too. Heard is in the last year of his deal too, they need to see of they have anything there. So I just don't see it. Don't mean to trash the guy but a guy who probably is already on Roy's doghouse list for not being ready for camp last year would have to do some incredible things to see action for the Avs at this point.

How I see the D prospects are Geertsen has talent, showed improvement and is close to turning pro so he's tops for me, Butcher has remained pretty consistent but has a ways to go, I like the talent of Wood and he could leapfrog to the top of this list but I just want to see a larger sample size.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm pretty certain Sgarbossa will never play for the Avs again. Heard has a chance still and I think Rendulic might be on the short list for call ups this year so that's why I'd vote those two first.

That doesn't mean Sgarbossa gets ranked lower. I don't think Elliott will be playing for the Avs again, but he's still our 3rd/4th best prospect IMO.

And to be quite honest, I'm skeptical Heard will even see the NHL, let alone make himself a regular. In best case for him we'll part ways and he'll journeyman himself into the NHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
How I see the D prospects are Geertsen has talent, showed improvement and is close to turning pro so he's tops for me, Butcher has remained pretty consistent but has a ways to go, I like the talent of Wood and he could leapfrog to the top of this list but I just want to see a larger sample size.

Totally agree. By the end of the season we may be saying that Wood is the best defensive prospect outside of Bigras, but we could also be saying that was a wasted pick. Hard to tell with the limited sample we have, and of that sample he was recovering from an injury for most of it. The talent is obviously there.

I see Heard as the McLeod replacement with a better skill set. I think he will end up as a 4th liner for the Avs, but never much more than that.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Bourke - Add Pickard. Surprised at how down on him everyone seems to be. I haven't watched a lot of LEM but he doesn't seem to be doing terribly. He's been stuck on awful teams his entire time since being drafted and has maintained respectable save percentages

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
On Pickard, I give the slight edge to Aitto but I don't think he's far behind. They are largely interchangeable. I think it's more of a function that neither are exceptional so it's just harder to see both in the top 10. It's tough to compare goalies and skaters anyway.

I think Wood will have a good year and we'll be happy with the pick. I just don't know really what kind of offense to expect from him. After this next year I think we'll have a better idea what kind of offense he brings to the table.

Elliott has a decent chance to make the team out of camp so I do think he's more likely to see Avs action than many of the prospects. If he sticks is another story. In these rankings I weight talent, NHL viability and future with Avs. Heard probably is a long shot and I wouldn't put him in the top 10 but there is a role for him if he earns it. However slight it is I still think he has a chance.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm thinking Henley is ahead of Heard.

I know Henley is a shiny new toy, but I can't possibly imagine that. Heard was a 2 time PPG player in the OHL (slightly more difficult league) without playing with a top prospect like Mantha. He is also already very sound defensively at the AHL level and ___ fearless when it comes to fighting anybody in the AHL.

Of the players that got cut at training camp last year and still have their rights owned by the Avs... only Carey, Bigras, and Aittokallio made it further (Barrie was obviously sent down later and Hishon obviously was called up for duty before him, so he is higher). Heard was also a part of the black aces as one of the 9 forwards (6 that the Avs still retain rights for).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad