Prospect Info: Ranking #6

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
And what or who in the world is bedsheetrubber?

Beginning of the thread he said he didn't know who anyone after Sami is. I was making a joke, sorry.

I think Wood was a great pick, just curious what he'll do in a full season to really judge. I know he has some offense but how much? Will be fun to see the battle of the bigs in camp between him, Geertsen and Siemens.

Smith as I said before is a playmaker so he needs something to work with. No surprise he started putting up points when paired with Schumacher. I expect more offense out of him this season so we'll see.

Last edited:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I think Pickard is still the top goalie prospect because at best, Sami has pulled even with him. Pickard was the higher draft pick in the same year. Year before last, his numbers were significantly better. He played more games than Sami for Lake Erie last year, and the stats were nearly even (edge to Sami, I admit), and his being the starter is probably why he got sent down first...to give him more time with the team he would playing with. There was no way either of them would be staying with the big club for the season, so why keep him up longer than needed.

That said, I have not seen enough of either to really give a truly informed decision. Just basing on what I can find. And even if Sami is slightly ahead, does that really mean that Pickard should have been shunted aside, to be relegated to being not even top 10? Despite HF ranking him 7.5C, same as Sami, Bigras and Elliot, and ahead of ALL the forwards in the system. It is entirely possible that Pickard has plateaued, and that I am talking out my ass, but I have seen nothing in any threads that seems to indicate he has tanked. If he has, please enlighten me...that is why I lurk here :).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We haven't finished polling the top 10 so maybe Pickard can still sneak in there, unlikely but its not set yet. I do think Sami and Pickard are close enough and relatively interchangeable but in a way it ends up not wanting to put more than one goalie in the top 10.

I do think Sami has the edge at this point. Staying up the longest with the big club in camp is a good thing, that type of experience is invaluable. And he was the one called up to take over Jiggy's spot. The reason why Sami had less starts is because he was injured for at least 4 weeks with a head injury and he had another injury earlier in the year. There was no "starter" in LE. One would take the reigns and get the majority of the starts until they had a bad game and then they would sit in the doghouse until the other one had a bad game. Pickard probably has been more consistent but while Sami might be a bit more raw I think has a slight edge in talent. Like I said, it is close though.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Voted Bourke.

We're only at 6 and even though these are prospects I like, they're far from great prospects. They're all long shots or guys that could never make it. Our prospect pool is pretty bad right now and we keep trading picks too. At least we have our young core already established...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
No it's not the strongest pool but it's better than it was. I think the last two drafts were good but of course we'll see. I like that they signed some new prospects to supplement the draft picks. There has been a lot of turnover this year and I expect more next year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Voted Bourke.

We're only at 6 and even though these are prospects I like, they're far from great prospects. They're all long shots or guys that could never make it. Our prospect pool is pretty bad right now and we keep trading picks too. At least we have our young core already established...

I'd say that our prospect pool/future core (23 and under) has improved tremendously over the past 2 years. First and foremost MacK was added and that is huge boost to any team, but beyond that Bigras, Geertsen, Bleackley, Wood, and Butcher all have bright futures (I'd be fairly surprised if at least 4 don't have NHL futures). Then management went to Europe to bring in some players that may or may not pan out, but have brighter futures than the players they chose not to sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad