OT: Ranking 50 Best Flames From Past 15 Years.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Some interesting choices so far to say the least. Props though for putting the work into doing this as I sure wouldn't have the time or patience to do it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Some interesting choices so far to say the least. Props though for putting the work into doing this as I sure wouldn't have the time or patience to do it.
I started to, but it was depressing. We have sucked too much the last decade and a half :help:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So I gave it another go, since there was so much sheer garbage to play for us since 2000 it is a pretty weak list and some players have made the list because of what their accomplishment(s) meant for the fanbase.

50 - Sven Baertschi
Sven stepped into the lineup and was electric in his first few games as an emergency recall, he gave fans new hope for a future superstar, something no Flame rookie had done in almost a decade when Phaneuf stepped into the Flames line-up.​
49 - Brian McGrattan
It might be strange to put an enforcer in the top 50 but McGrattan has been a significant piece in forging the identity of our current team. He is also one of the most popular players to ever wear the Flaming C.​
48 - Derek Morris
NHL player Derek Morris was just breaking out as a top 4 defenseman at the time of his trade to Colorado. He had been one of the faces of the young guns movement and is one of the best draft picks in Flames history.​
47 - Joe Colborne
Colborne may climb on this list in years to come as he is a relative newcomer to the team only being here for a year and a half. Since about the midway point of his first season Colborne has been one of the Flames top players and has recorded 31 points in his last 57 games with the Flames, prior to that he has recorded 10 points in 55 games. Should his upswing continue Colborne could be a big part of the Flames being a playoff team.​
46 - Adrian Aucoin
When Adrian Aucoin was picked up from the Chicago plackhawks people really questioned the move due to his injury history and large salary. To the surprise of many, myself included Aucoin missed only 7 games as a Flame and put up 2 very good seasons of 34 and 35 points. Aucoin's bomb of a shot was a major boon for the Flames powerplay.​
45 - Chuck Kobasew
Kobasew was becoming one of my favorite players before he was dealt to the Bruins (and injuries started to take over his career), Chucky had managed his first 20 goal season with the Flames in his second full year with the club and then the injuries started. In addition to his 20 goal season Kobasew he really worked on his defensive game under the tutelage of Darryl Sutter.​
44 - Marc Savard
I hated putting Savard on the list because his poor attitude at the time forced his trade out of Calgary, but I just couldn't ignore the fact he had 154 points in 221 games in Calgary.​
43 - Denis Gauthier
Gauthier was a solid top 4 defender in his time with Calgary and was traded at the perfect moment. Gauthier was known for his physical play and his very slow feet, but in the clutch and grab era Gauts etched out a solid career in Calgary before the fast post-lockout game made him obsolete.​
42 - Dennis Wideman
Wideman has had an up and down career with Calgary this far, his play in his first season was solid in the lockout shortened year. Year two was injury plagued but he still managed some offensive numbers while struggling defensively. In his 3rd season with the Flames Wideman is having one of the best seasons of his career, after 42 games he is 3 goals away from trying his career high and is on pace to come close to his career high in points. Wideman's production from the backend is a big reason the Flames are in the thick of the playoff race this year.​
41 - Karri Ramo
Since getting healthy late in 2013 Ramo has been very solid for the club.​
40 - Jonas Hiller
In his premier season with Calgary Hiller is a big reason why the Flames are in a playoff spot. Despite Ramo's strong play, Hiller has been able to get the bulk of the work due to his slightly stronger play.​
39 - David Moss
Moss was mocked alot near the end of his tenure in Calgary because of the poor decisions of the coaching staff to use him on the top line as a centre. Moss may just be one of the most inconsistent players in Flames history but he was a very good 3rd liner for us for several year and deserves credit for that.​
38 - Steven Reinprecht
Rhino would have been so much higher on this list had he just been able to stay healthy. His inability to play in the playoffs due to injury in 2004 was a major blow to the team.​
37 - Dean McAmmond
You can copy Reinprecht's explanation almost word for word,McAmmond also had some success with Conroy and Iginla when he played the left side of our top line.​
36 - Chris Clark
Clark was a key cog in the 2004 run as a clutch penalty killer and checking forward.​
35 - Toni Lydman
Lydman was a key contributor that got us into the postseason in 2004, but like many other injuries kept him from being a playoff contributor. Lydman managed 93 points in 4 seasons as a 2way defender for the Flames before being moved for a pick.​
34 - Shean Donovan
Dono is only here because of 2003-04. He had an unremarkable career that was highlighted with 1 remarkable season. 18 goals and 42 points were almost double his next best season, but that great year was a major factor in the Flames reaching the playoffs and then going on their run to the finals. Dono is one of the most improbable heroes in Flames history and will forever be remembered fondly for that.​
33 - Matthew Stajan
Stajan is an interesting case, he represents the fall and subsequent rise of the Flames. It is easy to look at the trade that brought Stajan to Calgary as the beginning of the end, but Stajan's character and leadership has made him one of the most important players in the Flames becoming relevant again. Stajan's perseverance during his time with Calgary is nothing short of inspirational. He came in being used as a #1 centre then suffered a concussion just a handful of games into Brent Sutter's tenure and was never given another shot to earn that role back. He spent the majority of Brent's 2 years in Calgary on the 4th line before reviving his career and becoming a leader under Bob Hartley.​
32 - Eric Nystrom
This may be bias because Nystrom was one of my favorite players, but in his time in Calgary he IMO was the best checking line forward we had and the best since Yelle.​
31 - Roman Hamrlik
Much to Nogger's dismay I have Hamrlik way up on my list, I found his play with young defensemen to be vital to their success. He was a signifcant reason why Phaneuf was in the Norris discussion in 2006-07.​
30 - Kris Russell
The kid lays his body on the line everytime he steps on the ice for Calgary. Since joining the club he is either #1 or #2 league wide in blocked shots and has developed nicely into a role on teh Flames second pairing.​
29 - Marcus Nilson
Another player that really answered the bell in 2004 during the playoffs, unlike Donovan Nilsson continued his level of play for a couple more years with Calgary.​
28 - Matthew Lombardi
Great wheels, no hands. In his time in Calgary Lombardi was a good third line centre and produced some decent offensive numbers in spite of his hands never being able to catch up to his feet. He was a great penalty killer for us during his tenure and his speed led to many exciting moments when he was on the ice; unfortunately those almost always ended up with a wrist shot into the goalies chest.​
27 - Lance Bouma
Booms has been a warrior since joining the Flames. I really don't think I need to elaborate further.​
26 - Jordan Leopold
Leopold was a top 4 defenseman for us during two different tenures. He and Regehr was our most important pairing in 2004.​
25 - Rhett Warrener
Anyone superstitious might think Warrener is the sole reason the Flames were in the 2004 finals and why they could not win. Warrener reached the championship series 3 times in his career, each time in his first year with the club and each time he lost. Jokes aside Rhettsky was a warrior for the Flames and was one of the key cogs in the Flames becoming relevant in the Sutter era.​
24 - Andrew Ference
Ference and Warrener go hand in hand IMO, he was great in the room, a great leader and I gave him the nod over Rhett because it was his trade to Boston that saw the Flames fall apart in 2006.​
23 - John Gaudreau
It's only been 43 games, but my od these are the most exciting 43 games I have seen out of a Flames rookie in my life. Johnny Hockey will be climbing this list fast and someday could be mentioned in the same breath as Iginla.​
22 - Cory Sarich
Sarich was one of those rare players that could change the tempo of a game with his bit hit ability. Hell he proved against the Sharks his big hit ability could change a series.​
21 - Roman Turek
Turek IMO is one of the most underappreciated players in Flames history. He was a very good goaltender on a very bad team and he kept them from being too bad. In 2003-04 Turek's numbers were quite similar to those of Kiprusoff, but unlike Kipper Turek never got any goal support to maintain the same type of record that Kipper did. Turek was also the consummate team player as he renegotiated his contract after 2003-04 (IIRC he allowed the Flames to basically add a year to his contract without adding any dollars) to try and help the Flames remaining contenders, unfortunately the lockout ended Turek's career.​
20 - Rene Bourque
While Bourque's reputation took a hit with his up and down play in his final year or two with Calgary one cannot ignore what he accomplished as a Flame. Bourque was so strong that some actually believed he would one day be Iginla's replacement, while it was a pipe dream Bourque still was a key contributor to the Flames offense for several years.​
19 - Mikael Backlund
While his offensive game has never become anything to write home about, he has become an excellent two-way centre who is a leader for the Flames both defensively and in the driving possession. Backlund has grown from a rookie with promise to one of the better third line centres in the NHL.​
18 - Sean Monahan
First rookie forward to score 20 goals since Iginla and looking like he will accomplish the feat yet again as a sophomore. In just his 2nd year Monahan has become the Flames #1 centre and is showing no signs of letting that go. While Monahan's goal totals appear to be on par for his rookie season, Monahan has already set a new career high in assists as his playmaking game which he was known for prior to his draft is starting to come around.​
17 - Olli Jokinen
In a couple stints with the Flames Jokinen put up some decent offensive numbers and played a very good two way game. He was forced to reinvent himself under Brent Sutter and went from a guy who played with no structure to a very valuable two-way centre. You also cannot overlook the fact he was always good for a soundbyte or .gif​
16 - Kristian Huselius
I was not a fan of Juice when he was a Flame, but even I cannot deny his offensive contributions during his tenure.​
15 - Jiri Hudler
I did not want Hudler on the Flames. I thought he would be Huselius 2.0 and while offensively I would say their are similar Hudler has proven not to be a laibility without the puck and has become a mentor for the young kids on the team.​
14 - T.J. Brodie
I don't really think I need to explain how Brodie has jumped so high on this list when 2 years ago I wouldn't have even considered him for the top 50.​
13 - Mike Cammalleri
Squid was one of the most prevalent scorers for the Flames since the turn of the century.​
12 - Martin Gelinas
Honestly it was hard to leave him out of the top 10 because of what he did in the 2004 playoffs, but he did only play 2 years in Calgary and while his tenure was memorable it was too short.​
11 - Jay Bouwmeester
Bouwmeester had the displeasure of joining the team the same time as Brent Sutter and Brent did his best to strip Bouwmeester of all of his offensive instincts. Despite being the Flames #1 shutdown defenseman under Sutter, he bounced back under Hartley and IMO was the most underrated defenseman in the league during his time here.​
10 - Curtis Glencross
While Glencross is not an elite player, his strong offensive numbers for his 7 years in Calgary have earned him a spot in the top 10.​
9 - Stephane Yelle
In his 5 years in Calgary Sandbox redefined how Flames fans look at elite defensive forwards. Since he left in the summer of 2008 we have been clamouring for the "next Yelle". During his time in Calgary Yelle was one of the best bottom 6 centremen in the entire league and has left us yearning for that elite energy guy who can win draws, block shots, be nearly flawless defensively and score the odd goal.​
8 - Alex Tanguay
I've made it no secret I am not a fan of Tanguay, but I cannot deny that he is an elite playmaking winger. His 284 points as a Flame have left him 19th all time in team scoring despite playing only 342 games. His production as a Flame is right up there with Gilmour and Makarov.​
7 - Daymond Langkow
Lanks just snuck ahead of Tanguay because he was a better all around player. His commitment on the defensive side of the puck made him the 2nd best centreman the Flames have seen over the past 15 years.​
6 - Dion Phaneuf
20 goals as a rookie, Norris nomination as a sophomore and one of the biggest hitters in the game. Dion overall was exceptional as a Flame, I believe his "struggles" in his final year in Calgary and since in Toronto are directly related to the severe hip injury he suffered in the 2008-09 season as his mobility was never the same again.​
5 - Robyn Regehr
2nd all-time in games in a Flames uniform all but one of his 11 seasons were during this 15 year window, he was an elite defensive defenseman in his prime whose physical play made players think twice about going into the corner with him. Just ask Ales Hemsky about the tunnel of death. While his offensive game was lacking, he made up for it by brutalizing his opponents.​
4 - Mark Giordano
The current captain and new face of the franchise that is in the middle of his 2nd straight Norris calibre season.​
3 - Craig Conroy
Craig Conroy is the greatest leader in Calgary Flames history. I attribute much of Iginla's success to Craig Conroy, he is one of the games all-time nice guys and was the best centreman we have seen in a Flames uniform since Joe Nieuwendyk. The guy bleeds Flame red is everything our great franchise is all about.​
2 - Miikka Kiprusoff
There is a legitimate debate about who was more valuable, Kipper or Iggy. While I give the nod to Iggy I do believe without one of those guys we never would have been a playoff team from 2004-2009. Kipper is the best goaltender in Flames history (although I think Vernon is very close).​
1 - Jarome Iginla
Loko what he did as a Calgary Flame. 1st all-time in goals, points and games. 2nd all-time in assists. 9th all-time in PIM. 17 years as the face of our franchise. I like many of us shed a tear when he was traded. Jarome Iginla is the most important player in franchise history and will go into the hall of fame as a first ballot guy and will do so as a Calgary Flame.​

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
9 - Stephane Yelle
In his 5 years in Calgary Sandbox redefined how Flames fans look at elite defensive forwards. Since he left in the summer of 2008 we have been clamouring for the "next Yelle". During his time in Calgary Yelle was one of the best bottom 6 centremen in the entire league and has left us yearning for that elite energy guy who can win draws, block shots, be nearly flawless defensively and score the odd goal.​

I could not agree more with this one. Severely underrated player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would have Chris Simon in over McGrattan, and either Valeri Bure or Oleg Saprykin easily over Baertschi.

Morris and Leopold should be higher on the list.

And where's Chris Drury?
Chris Drury only played one mediocre year with the Flames. I would have put in Saprykin and Lowry in before Drury. Hell I would have put Noodles on the list before Drury. His one seen was decent but he really made no impact on our franchise other than getting us Warrener back in the trade.

Val Bure was left off because I used players starting in 2000-01, Bure only played one and a part seasons after that and his one big season was before then.

Saprykin was one of my final cuts, but I included Baertschi because of the effect he had on the fan base,, which I thought I was pretty clear about.

Morris was only a Flames for 2 years in the last 15, most of his time with the Flames was more than 15 years ago so I never counted it.

Leopold could move up, he, Rhett and Ference were all neck and neck IMO.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I loved both Oliwa and Simon. Yeller was one of my all time favourites, they do not make players like him anymore and actually I cannot think of a single NHL player today that played the game the way he did, Bouma maybe the closest off hand that I can think of (faceoffs aside of course).

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
That's a fantastic list, AF. It just shows how good of a team we had in 2003-04, mainly characterized by hard work and teamwork.

I wonder if that same team would be a playoff contender even in today's game. That's a pretty solid team, not flashy at all but absolutely rock solid.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's a fantastic list, AF. It just shows how good of a team we had in 2003-04, mainly characterized by hard work and teamwork.

I wonder if that same team would be a playoff contender even in today's game. That's a pretty solid team, not flashy at all but absolutely rock solid.

If Sutter was our coach, yes it would of be a playoff team.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
So I gave it another go, since there was so much sheer garbage to play for us since 2000 it is a pretty weak list and some players have made the list because of what their accomplishment(s) meant for the fanbase.

50 - Sven Baertschi
Sven stepped into the lineup and was electric in his first few games as an emergency recall, he gave fans new hope for a future superstar, something no Flame rookie had done in almost a decade when Phaneuf stepped into the Flames line-up.​
49 - Brian McGrattan
It might be strange to put an enforcer in the top 50 but McGrattan has been a significant piece in forging the identity of our current team. He is also one of the most popular players to ever wear the Flaming C.​
48 - Derek Morris
NHL player Derek Morris was just breaking out as a top 4 defenseman at the time of his trade to Colorado. He had been one of the faces of the young guns movement and is one of the best draft picks in Flames history.​
47 - Joe Colborne
Colborne may climb on this list in years to come as he is a relative newcomer to the team only being here for a year and a half. Since about the midway point of his first season Colborne has been one of the Flames top players and has recorded 31 points in his last 57 games with the Flames, prior to that he has recorded 10 points in 55 games. Should his upswing continue Colborne could be a big part of the Flames being a playoff team.​
46 - Adrian Aucoin
When Adrian Aucoin was picked up from the Chicago plackhawks people really questioned the move due to his injury history and large salary. To the surprise of many, myself included Aucoin missed only 7 games as a Flame and put up 2 very good seasons of 34 and 35 points. Aucoin's bomb of a shot was a major boon for the Flames powerplay.​
45 - Chuck Kobasew
Kobasew was becoming one of my favorite players before he was dealt to the Bruins (and injuries started to take over his career), Chucky had managed his first 20 goal season with the Flames in his second full year with the club and then the injuries started. In addition to his 20 goal season Kobasew he really worked on his defensive game under the tutelage of Darryl Sutter.​
44 - Marc Savard
I hated putting Savard on the list because his poor attitude at the time forced his trade out of Calgary, but I just couldn't ignore the fact he had 154 points in 221 games in Calgary.​
43 - Denis Gauthier
Gauthier was a solid top 4 defender in his time with Calgary and was traded at the perfect moment. Gauthier was known for his physical play and his very slow feet, but in the clutch and grab era Gauts etched out a solid career in Calgary before the fast post-lockout game made him obsolete.​
42 - Dennis Wideman
Wideman has had an up and down career with Calgary this far, his play in his first season was solid in the lockout shortened year. Year two was injury plagued but he still managed some offensive numbers while struggling defensively. In his 3rd season with the Flames Wideman is having one of the best seasons of his career, after 42 games he is 3 goals away from trying his career high and is on pace to come close to his career high in points. Wideman's production from the backend is a big reason the Flames are in the thick of the playoff race this year.​
41 - Karri Ramo
Since getting healthy late in 2013 Ramo has been very solid for the club.​
40 - Jonas Hiller
In his premier season with Calgary Hiller is a big reason why the Flames are in a playoff spot. Despite Ramo's strong play, Hiller has been able to get the bulk of the work due to his slightly stronger play.​
39 - David Moss
Moss was mocked alot near the end of his tenure in Calgary because of the poor decisions of the coaching staff to use him on the top line as a centre. Moss may just be one of the most inconsistent players in Flames history but he was a very good 3rd liner for us for several year and deserves credit for that.​
38 - Steven Reinprecht
Rhino would have been so much higher on this list had he just been able to stay healthy. His inability to play in the playoffs due to injury in 2004 was a major blow to the team.​
37 - Dean McAmmond
You can copy Reinprecht's explanation almost word for word,McAmmond also had some success with Conroy and Iginla when he played the left side of our top line.​
36 - Chris Clark
Clark was a key cog in the 2004 run as a clutch penalty killer and checking forward.​
35 - Toni Lydman
Lydman was a key contributor that got us into the postseason in 2004, but like many other injuries kept him from being a playoff contributor. Lydman managed 93 points in 4 seasons as a 2way defender for the Flames before being moved for a pick.​
34 - Shean Donovan
Dono is only here because of 2003-04. He had an unremarkable career that was highlighted with 1 remarkable season. 18 goals and 42 points were almost double his next best season, but that great year was a major factor in the Flames reaching the playoffs and then going on their run to the finals. Dono is one of the most improbable heroes in Flames history and will forever be remembered fondly for that.​
33 - Matthew Stajan
Stajan is an interesting case, he represents the fall and subsequent rise of the Flames. It is easy to look at the trade that brought Stajan to Calgary as the beginning of the end, but Stajan's character and leadership has made him one of the most important players in the Flames becoming relevant again. Stajan's perseverance during his time with Calgary is nothing short of inspirational. He came in being used as a #1 centre then suffered a concussion just a handful of games into Brent Sutter's tenure and was never given another shot to earn that role back. He spent the majority of Brent's 2 years in Calgary on the 4th line before reviving his career and becoming a leader under Bob Hartley.​
32 - Eric Nystrom
This may be bias because Nystrom was one of my favorite players, but in his time in Calgary he IMO was the best checking line forward we had and the best since Yelle.​
31 - Roman Hamrlik
Much to Nogger's dismay I have Hamrlik way up on my list, I found his play with young defensemen to be vital to their success. He was a signifcant reason why Phaneuf was in the Norris discussion in 2006-07.​
30 - Kris Russell
The kid lays his body on the line everytime he steps on the ice for Calgary. Since joining the club he is either #1 or #2 league wide in blocked shots and has developed nicely into a role on teh Flames second pairing.​
29 - Marcus Nilson
Another player that really answered the bell in 2004 during the playoffs, unlike Donovan Nilsson continued his level of play for a couple more years with Calgary.​
28 - Matthew Lombardi
Great wheels, no hands. In his time in Calgary Lombardi was a good third line centre and produced some decent offensive numbers in spite of his hands never being able to catch up to his feet. He was a great penalty killer for us during his tenure and his speed led to many exciting moments when he was on the ice; unfortunately those almost always ended up with a wrist shot into the goalies chest.​
27 - Lance Bouma
Booms has been a warrior since joining the Flames. I really don't think I need to elaborate further.​
26 - Jordan Leopold
Leopold was a top 4 defenseman for us during two different tenures. He and Regehr was our most important pairing in 2004.​
25 - Rhett Warrener
Anyone superstitious might think Warrener is the sole reason the Flames were in the 2004 finals and why they could not win. Warrener reached the championship series 3 times in his career, each time in his first year with the club and each time he lost. Jokes aside Rhettsky was a warrior for the Flames and was one of the key cogs in the Flames becoming relevant in the Sutter era.​
24 - Andrew Ference
Ference and Warrener go hand in hand IMO, he was great in the room, a great leader and I gave him the nod over Rhett because it was his trade to Boston that saw the Flames fall apart in 2006.​
23 - John Gaudreau
It's only been 43 games, but my od these are the most exciting 43 games I have seen out of a Flames rookie in my life. Johnny Hockey will be climbing this list fast and someday could be mentioned in the same breath as Iginla.​
22 - Cory Sarich
Sarich was one of those rare players that could change the tempo of a game with his bit hit ability. Hell he proved against the Sharks his big hit ability could change a series.​
21 - Roman Turek
Turek IMO is one of the most underappreciated players in Flames history. He was a very good goaltender on a very bad team and he kept them from being too bad. In 2003-04 Turek's numbers were quite similar to those of Kiprusoff, but unlike Kipper Turek never got any goal support to maintain the same type of record that Kipper did. Turek was also the consummate team player as he renegotiated his contract after 2003-04 (IIRC he allowed the Flames to basically add a year to his contract without adding any dollars) to try and help the Flames remaining contenders, unfortunately the lockout ended Turek's career.​
20 - Rene Bourque
While Bourque's reputation took a hit with his up and down play in his final year or two with Calgary one cannot ignore what he accomplished as a Flame. Bourque was so strong that some actually believed he would one day be Iginla's replacement, while it was a pipe dream Bourque still was a key contributor to the Flames offense for several years.​
19 - Mikael Backlund
While his offensive game has never become anything to write home about, he has become an excellent two-way centre who is a leader for the Flames both defensively and in the driving possession. Backlund has grown from a rookie with promise to one of the better third line centres in the NHL.​
18 - Sean Monahan
First rookie forward to score 20 goals since Iginla and looking like he will accomplish the feat yet again as a sophomore. In just his 2nd year Monahan has become the Flames #1 centre and is showing no signs of letting that go. While Monahan's goal totals appear to be on par for his rookie season, Monahan has already set a new career high in assists as his playmaking game which he was known for prior to his draft is starting to come around.​
17 - Olli Jokinen
In a couple stints with the Flames Jokinen put up some decent offensive numbers and played a very good two way game. He was forced to reinvent himself under Brent Sutter and went from a guy who played with no structure to a very valuable two-way centre. You also cannot overlook the fact he was always good for a soundbyte or .gif​
16 - Kristian Huselius
I was not a fan of Juice when he was a Flame, but even I cannot deny his offensive contributions during his tenure.​
15 - Jiri Hudler
I did not want Hudler on the Flames. I thought he would be Huselius 2.0 and while offensively I would say their are similar Hudler has proven not to be a laibility without the puck and has become a mentor for the young kids on the team.​
14 - T.J. Brodie
I don't really think I need to explain how Brodie has jumped so high on this list when 2 years ago I wouldn't have even considered him for the top 50.​
13 - Mike Cammalleri
Squid was one of the most prevalent scorers for the Flames since the turn of the century.​
12 - Martin Gelinas
Honestly it was hard to leave him out of the top 10 because of what he did in the 2004 playoffs, but he did only play 2 years in Calgary and while his tenure was memorable it was too short.​
11 - Jay Bouwmeester
Bouwmeester had the displeasure of joining the team the same time as Brent Sutter and Brent did his best to strip Bouwmeester of all of his offensive instincts. Despite being the Flames #1 shutdown defenseman under Sutter, he bounced back under Hartley and IMO was the most underrated defenseman in the league during his time here.​
10 - Curtis Glencross
While Glencross is not an elite player, his strong offensive numbers for his 7 years in Calgary have earned him a spot in the top 10.​
9 - Stephane Yelle
8 - Alex Tanguay
I've made it no secret I am not a fan of Tanguay, but I cannot deny that he is an elite playmaking winger. His 284 points as a Flame have left him 19th all time in team scoring despite playing only 342 games. His production as a Flame is right up there with Gilmour and Makarov.​
7 - Daymond Langkow
Lanks just snuck ahead of Tanguay because he was a better all around player. His commitment on the defensive side of the puck made him the 2nd best centreman the Flames have seen over the past 15 years.​
6 - Dion Phaneuf
20 goals as a rookie, Norris nomination as a sophomore and one of the biggest hitters in the game. Dion overall was exceptional as a Flame, I believe his "struggles" in his final year in Calgary and since in Toronto are directly related to the severe hip injury he suffered in the 2008-09 season as his mobility was never the same again.​
5 - Robyn Regehr
2nd all-time in games in a Flames uniform all but one of his 11 seasons were during this 15 year window, he was an elite defensive defenseman in his prime whose physical play made players think twice about going into the corner with him. Just ask Ales Hemsky about the tunnel of death. While his offensive game was lacking, he made up for it by brutalizing his opponents.​
4 - Mark Giordano
The current captain and new face of the franchise that is in the middle of his 2nd straight Norris calibre season.​
3 - Craig Conroy
Craig Conroy is the greatest leader in Calgary Flames history. I attribute much of Iginla's success to Craig Conroy, he is one of the games all-time nice guys and was the best centreman we have seen in a Flames uniform since Joe Nieuwendyk. The guy bleeds Flame red is everything our great franchise is all about.​
2 - Miikka Kiprusoff
There is a legitimate debate about who was more valuable, Kipper or Iggy. While I give the nod to Iggy I do believe without one of those guys we never would have been a playoff team from 2004-2009. Kipper is the best goaltender in Flames history (although I think Vernon is very close).​
1 - Jarome Iginla
Loko what he did as a Calgary Flame. 1st all-time in goals, points and games. 2nd all-time in assists. 9th all-time in PIM. 17 years as the face of our franchise. I like many of us shed a tear when he was traded. Jarome Iginla is the most important player in franchise history and will go into the hall of fame as a first ballot guy and will do so as a Calgary Flame.​

Thanks for stealing my *claps hands once* thunder.

*strolls silently away*

I guess #40 will be up tomorrow, for the game day.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I would have Chris Simon in over McGrattan, and either Valeri Bure or Oleg Saprykin easily over Baertschi.

Morris and Leopold should be higher on the list.

And where's Chris Drury?

You could make a case for those three, but in the end, someone is going to be left out. I agree that Baertschi shouldn't be in it, and I'd put Simon in his place. I'd also put Saprykin where Colborne is. Drury though, I'd exclude.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for stealing my *claps hands once* thunder.

*strolls silently away*

I guess #40 will be up tomorrow, for the game day.
If I did it how you did, I would get bored by the time I hit 35 and stop posting them :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad