Rank these teams based on how well they are rebuilding?

Who’s rebuild is looking the most promising?

• Total voters

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I know it won't be the most popular answer but I like Buffalo here. They guaranteed have 2 young franchise defining talents. That is the single hardest thing to find in the draft and Buffalo has 2 at the most important positions (C and D). They have a long way to go filling out the rest of the roster, but the star power is there.

The rest of the options have 0 combined. We have no idea what Hughes or Kakko will turn out to be. No guarantees for the top picks that Detroit and Ottawa are about to make.

Rangers have a great outlook currently but I'd define them more as a retool since their best players are in their primes now.

Reactions: majormajor

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Rangers
2. Sabres
3. Kings
4. Senators
5. Ducks
6. Devils
7. Wings

Rangers are already a playoff team with the youngest team in the league. First place isn’t close. Sabres #2 only because they have by far the next two best assets. They’d be 6th or 7th otherwise. Kings have the best prospect pool in the sport and are a well run organization. They’ll turn it around eventually.

Senators have a terrible owner that makes it hard for them to run their team, but I think their rebuild isn’t going that bad. Good prospect pool and two early lottery picks this year. Ducks aren’t doing a bad job, but their rebuild is a little stuck. They need high end talent. They probably need to be really bad the next few years to maximize their rebuild potential.

I think the Devils got unlucky that they got 1OA in two years where there wasn’t a clear great 1OA choice, but thinking they had a team that could contend and then firing everyone within the season doesn’t look good. They’ll need to continue to rebuild for another few years to improve their defense. Wings are the worst team in the league and just bottoming out. It’s hard to be too critical. They are clearly tanking. We’ll see how well the rebuild attempt goes.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Rangers.

Have a top 5 player in Panarin, have another top line player in Zibanejad, with other young up and coming forward talent with Kakko and Chytil, and quality vets in Kreider and Buchnevich, with Kravstov on the way. Lias Andersson is a question mark. Had high hopes for him but doubt he has much value left.

On the backend Adam Fox is a stud. Doesnt get talked about as much as Makar/Hughes but he is on the same level IMO. Trouba didnt have a great 1st year in NY, but is 26 and has potential to rebound. Deangelo/Lindgren look like quality pieces and they have Lundkvist and Miller on the way.

Shesterkin looks like the next big thing in net. Georgiev is a solid piece too. No concerns there.

NYR quite easily

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
NYR for for now, but Ottawa has 7! picks in the top 62 and the best shot at Lafreniere. I bet their haul from this draft is absurd.
They have a ton of picks but they completely stripped their team down to the bare bones to get those picks. They have no quality veterans left to lead them through the rebuild and as great as the SAN Jose pick is it only makes up for them trading their pick away last year.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It’s the Rangers, clearly. The rest of those teams are all prospects and picks, aside from few pieces for Ottawa and Buffalo their actual NHL rosters are dogshit right now, especially LA, they’ve got a great pool of prospects but we haven’t seen any in the NHL yet aside from a few games of Vilardi. The Rangers already have some real high end NHLers playing at every position to go along with the youngsters and prospects and plenty of picks coming up in their own right.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
It's actually close between Ottawa and NYR. NYR got a prime Panarin and Zib playing out of his mind but both are in their primes right now and I don't feel like the Rangers will be a true contender for maybe 2ish or even 3 years. Ottawa will be getting 2 lottery picks and 3 first rounds picks alongside a multitude of 2nd/3rd round picks. Ottawa is also one of the best drafting teams in the entire NHL so I'm sure they'll do well with it. Creating a much longer window for success but it likely won't be as guaranteed as the Rangers Success

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Going with Sabres due to our high talent/youth combo, but close with the Rangers.

Eichel turns only 24 in October, Dahlin has been 20 for two months exactly.

Cozens 19, another possible higher end player with a top 10 pick in the coming draft.

Reinhart and Olofsson are only 24 and 25.

Jokiharju and UPL have shown some promise, and some other pieces to fill out the roster.

Will be a great decade for Sabres and their fans.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
New York -- not much of a rebuild but definitely #1 in this group. Panarin/Zibanejad/Fox/Shestyerkin - those are foundation pieces though the top forwards aren't young.
Buffalo - Eichel, Dahlin. I'm less impressed by the rest of the team but those two alone put them near the top here.
Ottawa - Tkachuk, Chabot, Batherson, two top picks in a great draft. That's a great position if you're not considering Melnyk.

Anaheim - Zegras, and a still good D and great goalie in Gibson. If offense comes together they'll jump right back into being a solid team.
New Jersey - Hischier, Hughes, Ty Smith, maybe 3 top 15 picks this year. Good start but no single piece looks that good at this point.

LA - Lots of good promising pieces but again no single piece that I expect to carry (at this point).

Detroit - Seider, Larkin, Zadina, another top pick. The under 20 stars are promising but the fact that they can't ice an NHL level team right now puts the kids in a bad situation.

Tunapants

May 24, 2012
PHX, AZ
It seems weird because most of these teams are in entirely different parts of their rebuild. The Ducks for example have one top ten pick (this will be the second).

As for the poll, I cant see a reason to vote for anyone besides the Rangers right now. Buffalo has potential but its hard for me to call any rebuild that's been going on for 6-7 years successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad