Rank these prospects, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitaraholic*

In order of chances of having a 'substantial' NHL career, scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being 'not a chance at all' and 10 being 'will definately plat at the NHL level.'
What specifically I'm asking is which players are 'sure fire' NHLers regardless of what their production level turns out to be. Simply based on a 1 - 10 scale what's the likelyhood of each player to have a 'substantial' (plays in the league for 5+ years, contributes either as a core player or role player of some distinction or is otherwise not *totally* useless.)

Players are:

Jakub Koreis
Alexei Mikhnov
Alexei Shkotov
Janne Niskala
Jens Karlsson
Brett Skinner
Martin Podlesak
Konstantin Korneev
Jay McClement
Ryan O'Byrne
Kyle Brodziak
Libor Pivko
Michal Sivek
Denis Grot

So, who are the ones who are definately making it to the NHL and sticking around in one form or another?

thanks.

TomahawkSniper

Aug 19, 2004
Vancouver
Well I don't know that much of these prospects in particular, but I can tell you that Denis Grot has a great chance of making it. He plays top 4 minutes in the Russian Superleague. I'd rate him a 8.5. I'd rate Brett Skinner a 7.5. All he needs to do is put on a few pounds and he'll be a decent powerplay quarterback.That's all I know at this point.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
I've got to see Sivek play a few times with the big pens and he was excellent during the first few games of his callup. After that he tailed off a bit. I know he went back home and signed with a team there, however i thought i had heard he had some family issues to take care of. If he comes back he will produce at the NHL level.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
I am not going to touch the rankings, but I can enlighten some on Pivko. He's big and good on his skates and, while not overly physical, can take punishment. He's very good defensively and will be used in a PKing role in Nashville next year. I think a 10 goal 20 assist season wouldn't be uncalled for next year. He has 15 goal 25 assist upside with an occasional 20 goal season. He won't ever be more than a 3rd liner who will fill in the second line if need be.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
(Konstantin Korneev, and Ryan O'Byrne)

Korneev is very talented, who was compared to Andrei Markov in terms of offensive ability (which is pretty good). He's undersized however, so it will be tough to say if his game can be as effective on the much smaller ice of the NHL... He has good skating ability, and is a steal for where he was drafted (9th round) regardless if he makes a serious impact or not. I guess if I were to give him a rating it would have to be a 7.5. If he makes the show, he will be a solid NHL'er for years to come, and it is quite possible because slowly but surely, he is growing (Last I heard he was getting closer to 6 foot, and 185 pounds). He hasn't come over to Montreal to even get a sniff... yet, but IMO he should come over in the next year or two.

As for O'Byrne, he's a big punishing d-man who has good speed for the size he has... IMO he'll be a stay at at home defenceman, and also I would not be surprised if he was asked as early as next summer to leave school to go to Hamilton and continue developing for an NHL career... I'd have to give him an 8... If he makes the show (IMO he will) he will be the tough d-man that every team will want to make a playoff run with. He keeps the opposition honest, and his mean streak is getting harder and harder to find in prospects. He was selected a bit early (3rd round) but IMO that had more to do with the fact he wasn't seen very much by the CSS in his draft year. They compared his mean streak to that of Chris Chelios (but not his offence). If he is anything close to Chelios, he will be a tremendous impact on the habs blueline, as we need that much needed toughness in the line up. IMO O'Byrne would be the type of d-man who would play for 20 years, and answers the call to defend any of his teammates. Possibly a future leader (Assistant C) on the team that really gives him a chance.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Jakub Koreis - Who?
Alexei Mikhnov - Four years later, still not coming to North America.
Alexei Shkotov - Who?
Janne Niskala - Never heard of him.
Jens Karlsson - Plug.
Brett Skinner - Played defence in the USHL. Most overrated league on Earth.
Martin Podlesak - Sounds like Sandalak. Hopefully a better skater than Sandalak.
Konstantin Korneev - Who's he when he's in the press box.
Jay McClement - Good kid, good leader, but a plug.
Ryan O'Byrne - Plug.
Kyle Brodziak - Likely the best prospect on the list, but that's not saying much.
Libor Pivko - Sounds like a car. Wait, that's a Pinto.
Michal Sivek - Rich Czech kid who couldn't cut it in the AHL.
Denis Grot - Sounds like rot. "Denis's skills are grotting away."

What I'm wondering is, why'd you ask us to rate a bunch of no-namers and plugs. They're not from the same team. If this is the future of your fantasy team, or these are guys you're interested in picking up, might I suggest investing seriously into the future of your club.

guitaraholic*

God Bless Canada said:
Jakub Koreis - Who?
Alexei Shkotov - Who?
Jens Karlsson - Plug.
Martin Podlesak - Sounds like Sandalak. Hopefully a better skater than Sandalak.
Ryan O'Byrne - Plug.
Kyle Brodziak - Likely the best prospect on the list, but that's not saying much.

What I'm wondering is, why'd you ask us to rate a bunch of no-namers and plugs. They're not from the same team. If this is the future of your fantasy team, or these are guys you're interested in picking up, might I suggest investing seriously into the future of your club.

thanks for your opinions.

TomahawkSniper

Aug 19, 2004
Vancouver
God Bless Canada said:
Jakub Koreis - Who?
Alexei Shkotov - Who?
Jens Karlsson - Plug.
Ryan O'Byrne - Plug.

There's no need to be so negative. :shakehead

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
My comments were somewhat sarcastic due to the players that were listed. Most of those players will not play in the NHL. McClement is likely the only surefire NHL prospect, and he's a future third liner. Sivek had trouble in the AHL. A lot of these players will have similar problems. Mikhnov does have some high-end talent, but he's viewed as a wildcard, and he's shown little desire in coming to North America.

If people are going to ask for opinions on players, they should bring forward legitimate prospects, not those who will likely only see regular ice time in minor pro leagues. (Or joke leagues like the WHA 2).

guitaraholic*

God Bless Canada said:
My comments were somewhat sarcastic due to the players that were listed. Most of those players will not play in the NHL. McClement is likely the only surefire NHL prospect, and he's a future third liner. Sivek had trouble in the AHL. A lot of these players will have similar problems. Mikhnov does have some high-end talent, but he's viewed as a wildcard, and he's shown little desire in coming to North America.

If people are going to ask for opinions on players, they should bring forward legitimate prospects, not those who will likely only see regular ice time in minor pro leagues. (Or joke leagues like the WHA 2).

gee, thanks for your opinion on what we are allowed to post about or not. Your insights in this thread have been of great value. :shakehead

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
McClement is likely the only surefire NHL prospect, and he's a future third liner.

Pivko is going to be in Nashville next year. So McClement is not the only sure-fire NHL prospect. Just because you've never heard of a prospect doesn't mean they won't be an NHLer.

guitaraholic*

SmokeyClause said:
Pivko is going to be in Nashville next year. So McClement is not the only sure-fire NHL prospect. Just because you've never heard of a prospect doesn't mean they won't be an NHLer.

God Bless Canada thinks awfully highly of himself.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
I just know Korneev and O'byrne.

Korneev: Extremely talented, but extremely small (for a Dman. He doesn't seem strong enough to hold NHL competition. I don't think He'll comme in NA. I'd rank him 5.

O'byrne: Really big and punishing Dman. Somooth skating. (suprising for his size) A good Defensive Dman. I think he'll make it to the NHL and he may surprise... I'd give him an 8,5

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
God Bless Canada said:
My comments were somewhat sarcastic due to the players that were listed. Most of those players will not play in the NHL.

Right....You listed 3 - 4 players as those you didn't know, and made pathetic jokes about what the other's names sounded like. You REALLY know what type of prospects they are....Do your research before you waste our time posting in this thread.

:shakehead

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
guitaraholic said:
In order of chances of having a 'substantial' NHL career, scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being 'not a chance at all' and 10 being 'will definately plat at the NHL level.'
What specifically I'm asking is which players are 'sure fire' NHLers regardless of what their production level turns out to be. Simply based on a 1 - 10 scale what's the likelyhood of each player to have a 'substantial' (plays in the league for 5+ years, contributes either as a core player or role player of some distinction or is otherwise not *totally* useless.)

Players are:

Jakub Koreis
Alexei Mikhnov
Alexei Shkotov
Janne Niskala
Jens Karlsson
Brett Skinner
Martin Podlesak
Konstantin Korneev
Jay McClement
Ryan O'Byrne
Kyle Brodziak
Libor Pivko
Michal Sivek
Denis Grot

So, who are the ones who are definately making it to the NHL and sticking around in one form or another?

thanks.

Personally, there are only about 2 dozen players that i would give a 10 to, and none of them are on the list. Not saying none of these guys are ever going to make it, but most are about(on your scale), a 6.5 at best. Most of these guys are b-level prospects from what i've heard and read.

I think Sivek could play in the NHL right now, i've seen him play several times and think he would be a good 3rd line center. AS far as talent i'd say higher than a 6.5, but as mentioned, he might not cross the pond again after "family issues".

McClement should make the NHL, but i dont see him being anything more than a 4th liner, maybe not even that.

Podlesak would make the NHL on talent as well, but injury problems might not let that happen.

The rest i haven't seen play, so i wont comment on them, cause i've only read about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad