Rank these defensive defenseman

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Except for the games played post-lockout, but who's counting.
Foote was definetly better than Hatcher post-lockout and I didnt write he was elite but good. Foote was also able to play longer and better players can find a job easier. I admit he was terrible especially in his last season, but he was there to provide veteranship and he was not that bad in Colombus.

Clown Baby*

Foote was definetly better than Hatcher post-lockout and I didnt write he was elite but good.
Because you said so?

HATCHER
Regular Season: 203GP 9G 24A 33PTS -18
Post-Season: 21GP 1G 4A 5PTS -2

FOOTE
Regular Season: 355GP 12G 63A 75PTS -44
Post-Season: 16GP 0G 1A 1PT -10
Foote was also able to play longer and better players can find a job easier. I admit he was terrible especially in his last season, but he was there to provide veteranship and he was not that bad in Colombus.
Don't talk leadership between these two. Hatcher played an entire season without cartilage in his right knee for this club. The only games he missed were games spent recovering from surgery. He never minced words, made excuses, or sulked. Foote, meanwhile, requested a trade from the team he signed, with the hopes he would conduct himself as a professional.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Foote was definetly better than Hatcher post-lockout and I didnt write he was elite but good. Foote was also able to play longer and better players can find a job easier. I admit he was terrible especially in his last season, but he was there to provide veteranship and he was not that bad in Colombus.

Foote was atrocious post-lock out. Foote just didnt want to quit and Avs extended helping hand out of loyalty (and probably to have him in the locker room). Neither Foote nor Hatcher were anything to write home about.

Clown Baby*

No. I saw them play and that is my percpetion. You're entitled to your own opinion. I would take Foote post-lockout. Howgh.
The funny thing about perception is that, without some metric to gauge it against, one can be misled in any number of ways.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Because you said so?

HATCHER
Regular Season: 203GP 9G 24A 33PTS -18
Post-Season: 21GP 1G 4A 5PTS -2

FOOTE
Regular Season: 355GP 12G 63A 75PTS -44
Post-Season: 16GP 0G 1A 1PT -10Don't talk leadership between these two. Hatcher played an entire season without cartilage in his right knee for this club. The only games he missed were games spent recovering from surgery. He never minced words, made excuses, or sulked. Foote, meanwhile, requested a trade from the team he signed, with the hopes he would conduct himself as a professional.

Exactly. We're comparing two guys when one's knee was destroyed, yet he was just as good at least for the most part. That plus it seems most are agreeing that Hatcher was better at his peak, I think we have our winner out of the two.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
In my Top 80 defenseman master list (only McCrimmon made the top 80 cutoff) I had it:

McCrimmon
Lowe
Hatcher
Foote

and for another player of a similar style from the same era, I had Ulf Samuelsson between McCrimmon and Lowe (in fact Ulf was the last guy on my list and Lowe was a couple of spots below him).

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I'm just happy to see the Brad McCrimmon love.

For context's sake, I think that Lowe's legacy has diminished some among experts while him getting in this year seems more like a further recognition of that Oilers' dynasty than anything else.

Mcrimmon
Lowe
Hatcher
Foote

with Lowe and PRIME Hatcher being interchangeable. Anything after the lockout from Hatcher was pretty awful.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I heard the news today yesterday- oh boy...

As I was listening, driving home from another glorious 11+ hour stint as an "essential employee," my first thought, very first surface thought that popped into my head was "what, exactly, makes Lowe more worthy of consideration than McCrimmon?"

[And don't EVEN get me started on Vasiliev, Suchý, Pospíšil, hell- even Kasatanov (though I know with near metaphysical certitude that as long as Larionov remains the point-person for HoF vetting of internationals, Kasatanov has no shot...)]

:facepalm:... :shakehead... :help:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I heard the news today yesterday- oh boy...

As I was listening, driving home from another glorious 11+ hour stint as an "essential employee," my first thought, very first surface thought that popped into my head was "what, exactly, makes Lowe more worthy of consideration than McCrimmon?"

[And don't EVEN get me started on Vasiliev, Suchý, Pospíšil, hell- even Kasatanov (though I know with near metaphysical certitude that as long as Larionov remains the point-person for HoF vetting of internationals, Kasatanov has no shot...)]

:facepalm:... :shakehead... :help:

"About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh"

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Well, did we think that anybody from the group above should be a HHOF? I do not think so.

of course not

but my pt is let’s not get carried away. he wasn’t a career 2/3 like some people are saying, he was a very very good defensive dman who played as the #2 on one if the greatest teams of all time.

no one had any problem discussing him in the same breath as these other HOVG defensive guys. now people are piling on like lowe was brooks orpik or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad