Rank these B or C Level Dmen Prospects

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
A strange collection I know, also I realize ppl may only know about some of them. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated...Thx!

Chris Tanev
T.J. Brodie
Mark Cundari
Eric Gelinas
Shawn Lalonde
David Warsofsky
Matt Taormina
Justin Holl

zinedine

Sep 2, 2010
I'm curious where people would rank the following names to the above list:
Justin Braun
Paul Potsma
Erik Gustaffson
Nikita Nikitin

GM17*

Devils analysis:

Gelinas can't be ranked until he plays on a team that isn't either complete **** or utterly stacked to the point that I could be a 50 goal scorer.

Taormina was our lone bright spot under MacLean's tenure. He could be a top 4 PMD who sees time on the 2nd PP unit.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
A strange collection I know, also I realize ppl may only know about some of them. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated...Thx!

Chris Tanev
T.J. Brodie
Mark Cundari
Eric Gelinas
Shawn Lalonde
David Warsofsky
Matt Taormina
Justin Holl

Can't help you...but I do like the list you have compiled. Looking forward to hear what people have to say.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Eric Gelinas
Gelinas has shown flashes but there's been questions about his work ethic and he's been accused of mailing it in at times. He has the physical tools and talent to be a quality defensemen at the NHL level but he's been considered a project pick since the Devils drafted him. He's coming along but he'll need mroe seasoning before challenging for a spot on the big club, I think.

Matt Taormina
After a relatively unspectacular college career and a brief stint with the Binghamtom Sens, he was signed as a free agent by the Lowell (now Albany) Devils. He then proceeded to pretty much light the AHL on fire and put up 50 points down there last season. Started the season with the big team and was very impresseive. Confident with the puck, good skater, and willing to play in the offensive zone, most Devils fans were very sad when he went down with a fractured ankle. We haven't seen him since, probably another victim of the worst medical team in the league (see Paul Martin, Zach Parise, everyone else injured since the lockout in NJ). Taormina will never be a #1, but at worst he's a bottom pairing PMD who can play some PP, and he could be a very good middle pairing guy if the 17 games the Devils got from him weren't a fluke.

hardware73

Aug 1, 2010
This is just one dudes opinion…please don’t hang me if you disagree.
Can’t talk about 4 of the players as I don’t see them enough. I can comment on Brodie, Cundari, Lalonde and Warsofsky. 1st of all, all are great skaters. So I rank them even in the skating with a slight edge to Lalonde. I believe Warsofsky brings a high hockey IQ to the game. Cundari seems to be able to make things happen with very limited ice time. Haven’t seen them on the ice long enough to fully absorb their skills, but they are both high in the smarts category. Mental/Physical toughness is all Cundari. He is very hard to play against and will make you pay the price.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I really like the steps Cundari has taken this year in his first as a pro. Very underrated and should be a very solid NHL depth defender.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
This is just one dudes opinion…please don’t hang me if you disagree.
Can’t talk about 4 of the players as I don’t see them enough. I can comment on Brodie, Cundari, Lalonde and Warsofsky. 1st of all, all are great skaters. So I rank them even in the skating with a slight edge to Lalonde. I believe Warsofsky brings a high hockey IQ to the game. Cundari seems to be able to make things happen with very limited ice time. Haven’t seen them on the ice long enough to fully absorb their skills, but they are both high in the smarts category. Mental/Physical toughness is all Cundari. He is very hard to play against and will make you pay the price.

Yah Cundari certainly seems like the one that can play the most physical or with an edge...he kind of reminds me of some hybrid of Mark Giordano and Ian White....some smooth skating, can make a hit, play with a little chip....I like Cundari...

I am a huge Brodie fan, but it is difficult to know at this point if he is going to be a smooth PMD like Visnovsky or Boyle or one of the many small skating dmen that don't make it, ie, Micki Dupont.

Lalonde has some nice upside as well....and the Hawks will be needing to bring in some cheap 5th-7th dmen with their cap concerns. The only issue is he is competing with Leddy, Olsen, Connelly, Vishnevskiy etc for maybe 2 spots....so he could be a few years from getting a real look.

Warsofsky I have always felt flew way under the radar. Never the top guy on his team or in the WJC...but I see Warsofsky as a potential future Boyle/Rafalski, small, very smooth skating, mobile, puck moving dman with PP-QB instincts....

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Nikitin: He is a decent skater, a fairly solid defender, plays physical along the boards, wins his fair share of battles. He makes a solid breakout pass, joins the rush on an occasion and has a bomb from the point. His absolute upside is 4th Dman, but will likely be a #5. Overall, he is a good player to have on your team. He seems very well liked by his teammates.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Lalonde is a PMD, who's a very strong skater and has good offensive instincts. Has some tenacity in his game and isn't afraid to get in the corners. Needs to refine his defensive game, although he is improving. Could see him being a 4th, and secondary PP QB.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Nikitin is a pretty solid offensive defenseman. His biggest weakness is his skating, but he plays a very conservative defensive game. Hes a pretty good player from the point, a plus at things like holding the puck in the zone, passing, and getting the puck on net. His production will probably max out at 25-30 points, a bottom pairing guy who might be able to help your power play.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I'm curious where people would rank the following names to the above list:
Justin Braun
Paul Potsma
Erik Gustaffson
Nikita Nikitin

the guys in the Sharks boards are very high on Braun. he was an AHL All-Star, basically had the hardest shot in the skills comp. its very heavy from what i've seen in his NHL games. Reminds me of Rob Blake with how hard and accurate he can place it. Big size, with high potential as a two-way defenseman. some think he'll be a better version of ME Vlasic.

he would probably be on the team right now if we didnt have Ian White/Wallin.

arsmaster*

I think Tanev has a lot more offensive potential than he has displayed in his ~30 or so games at the NHL level (or the AHL level as he has skyrocketed from Junior B to the NHL pretty quickly).

Doesnt panic ever, a rare trait amongst NHL defensman, especially those with very little experience against PRO's. Skates well, makes good passes, and is willing to take a hit to make a play.

His shot needs work, but it isnt awful. I think he could become a top 4 defensman.

Mark Cundari, seems like a Mike Weaver kind of guy....someone who will have to battle size issues, but will find work as a reliable 5-6.

GotKush*

I think Tanev has a lot more offensive potential than he has displayed in his ~30 or so games at the NHL level (or the AHL level as he has skyrocketed from Junior B to the NHL pretty quickly).

Doesnt panic ever, a rare trait amongst NHL defensman, especially those with very little experience against PRO's. Skates well, makes good passes, and is willing to take a hit to make a play.

His shot needs work, but it isnt awful. I think he could become a top 4 defensman.

Mark Cundari, seems like a Mike Weaver kind of guy....someone who will have to battle size issues, but will find work as a reliable 5-6.

I don't think the Canucks consider Chris Tanev a B or C level dman seeing they said they wern't going to send him down and he is staying up with the big club. His patience with the puck and excellent outlet pass makes him show alot of potential and is still very raw.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I don't think the Canucks consider Chris Tanev a B or C level dman seeing they said they wern't going to send him down and he is staying up with the big club. His patience with the puck and excellent outlet pass makes him show alot of potential and is still very raw.

Well he is about our best defensive prospect, and he is also probably in our top three prospects. Very patient and the Canucks are quite high on this kid. I'm excited about him, even though I had only heard little bits about him before he made th Canucks.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I don't know enough about any of them except Brodie.

Brodie's offensive skills should get him into the NHL at some point. He had a stellar camp and made the NHL roster this year but was sent down after 3 games to work on his defensive game. He's had a pretty solid year in Abbotsford - good +/- (think he led the team's defencemen there) and also led in points for a defenceman.

He's excellent offensively - good vision, makes nice outlet passes. He needs to work on being more physical and his defensive positioning.

With Erixon coming over, Brodie will need to have another amazing camp to make the Flames. I'm not sure they'd want to carry 2 rookie defencemen but you never know.

If he doesn't make it this year I think he will next year - if he can put together another solid AHL season.

LeafsFan2342

#CallupColborne
Dec 4, 2010
Toronto
Ratings on a scale of 1-10
Chris Tanev 7.5C
T.J. Brodie 7B
Mark Cundari 6.5B
Eric Gelinas 6.5C
Shawn Lalonde 7.5B
David Warsofsky 6.5B
Matt Taormina 7B