Rank these 3 LW's

Rank them (ignoring health issues)

• Total voters

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
How would you rank the 3 of Pearson, Baertschi, and Ferland (ignoring health issues). I feel like Baertschi has the most skill while Ferland is the most physical and Pearson is the best defensively.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wonder if Miller and Ferland will spend more time playing the right wing.

Anyhow, I originally went with Pearson, Ferland, and Baertschi but changed it to Ferland, Pearson, and Baertschi. I think it's real close between Pearson and Ferland so it depends on linemates and ice time. I think Pearson is the better all around player and I think of him as better offensively than Ferland. But it's hard to ignore the fact that the underlying stats suggest that Ferland has been better the past 2 years. Ferland has been a solid complimentary winger on the first line the past two years. Pearson has been trending down and was horrible with LA and not very good with the Penguins last season. Pearson did show some good chemistry with Horvat to close the season and of the three he is most likely to stay in the lineup. If Baertschi manages to stay healthy and play 82 games I think he's the better offensive producer of the 3. But of the three he's the most likely to play in the least amount of games.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I may have copped out but I ranked them all at 2 in the pole. They're so close to equal in skill and expected value this coming season, that there's nothing to choose between them. The closest to the bottom for me is Baertschi just due to health concerns but even in 50ish games, he's a safe bet for 30 points which is production this team needs.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Baertschi, even ignoring health, is clearly the bottom-ranked option here. He's not a possession driver (his defensive impacts are fairly bad) and needs to be put in plum positions to produce

Pearson is the clear number 1 option. He is stronger as a "complimentary" player in that he can control the flow of play a lot better and has good neutral zone micro statistics.

Ferland actually has a similar shot impact profile to Baertschi, but I'd give him the edge because he brings a more unique skillset.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
1. Baertschi - when healthy and rolling is skilled, flashy and produces nicely. Ignoring health concerns would diminish my greatest beef with Baert - his inconsistency.
2. Ferland - probably not as consistent scoring wise as you like, but he brings a lot of elements and tools to the game.
3. Pearson - bleah player. Showed here that he was able to contribute. But I'm not buying that he can match that post TDL sample of production.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
1. Baertschi - when healthy and rolling is skilled, flashy and produces nicely. Ignoring health concerns would diminish my greatest beef with Baert - his inconsistency.
2. Ferland - probably not as consistent scoring wise as you like, but he brings a lot of elements and tools to the game.
3. Pearson - bleah player. Showed here that he was able to contribute. But I'm not buying that he can match that post TDL sample of production.

You rate the player who has the lowest career-high for point totals at the top of the list and the one with the highest career totals at the bottom... You also claim that a player who's had two 40 point seasons and a 36 point season couldn't possibly hit 50 points on a line with a bit of chemistry.

This seems very surface level in terms of analysis.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I look at that list and put Baertschi a distant third. I also look at that list and don't really want to choose any of them for first place...

Reactions: timw33 and Peter10

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I look at that list and put Baertschi a distant third. I also look at that list and don't really want to choose any of them for first place...

Neither should be a regular top 6 player if you want to have a very good team.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
You rate the player who has the lowest career-high for point totals at the top of the list and the one with the highest career totals at the bottom... You also claim that a player who's had two 40 point seasons and a 36 point season couldn't possibly hit 50 points on a line with a bit of chemistry.

This seems very surface level in terms of analysis.
When did i claim that?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Calling him a bleah player and saying that you don't think he can match the 51 point pace he was on with the Canucks last season sure implies that.

I didn't imply anything.

But sure..
I'll state now I doubt he hits 50 pts next season. He shouldn't get the same opportunity as he did last yr down the stretch... he'll be up and down the lines.
Because he's a bleah player.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I voted Baertschi/Ferland as tied #2 and Pearson #3

Ferland seems to be a situational guy. Good on the PP and can produce when given the right linemates.

Baertschi (healthy), is a very interesting player to me. There are times he looks to be floating out there but there are games/stretches where he plays like a man possessed. He looks good with the puck, wins puck battles and makes some nice plays. I've brought it up a million times here but there was one game where LA took a run at him early and he didn't like it. Several times that game big LA players took huge runs at Baertschi and just bounced off him like he was a brick wall. It was wild.

I think Baertschi is the type of player that could perform very well on a competitive/playoff team. One of those guys who becomes a monster in the playoffs because he actually wakes up and puts everything on the ice. Unfortunately he's probably done. If I were him I would retire and at this point I'm worried he'll get another concussion putting his helmet on.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I didn't imply anything.

But sure..
I'll state now I doubt he hits 50 pts next season. He shouldn't get the same opportunity as he did last yr down the stretch... he'll be up and down the lines.
Because he's a bleah player.

I doubt he hits 50 points only because he has never hit that. I think Pearson is potentially a very strong complimentary player, but that's counting on him rebounding.

I think it's more likely (optimism here) that he's a better player than he was in LA and Pitts this season. That would certainly not make him a bleah player.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Surprised that Pearson is the consistent pick for 3rd best.

He has the best single season of the three, the most career games, goals, assists and points. They're all essentially the same age. Going forward, the big issue with Pearson is that he's overpaid.

Maybe I'm valuing pedigree too much, but Ferland was a 4th liner in Calgary who got some spot time on a line with two stars, and then again in Calgary. I have serious doubts of if he can actually score 30 points here unless he's with Pettersson and Boeser.

Baertschi is probably the most talented of the bunch, but is incredibly inconsistent, even when healthy, which is a huge caveat. He may be one hit away from retirement. Hard to have him not at the bottom with that considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad