Rank the Young Guys

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Looks soft and hasn't progressed but to each their own. I'd easily trade him.
Ice time down.

5v5 G/60 up
5v5 P/60 up
5v5 1A/60 up
Giveaways/60 down
Takeaways/60 up
Blocks/60 up
Corsi up
Fenwick up
SF% up
GF/60 up
GA/60 down
HDCF% up
Off zone starts % down
Def zone starts % up
On pace for 36 points

That seems like progress right?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Ice time down.

5v5 G/60 up
5v5 P/60 up
5v5 1A/60 up
Giveaways/60 down
Takeaways/60 up
Blocks/60 up
Corsi up
Fenwick up
SF% up
GF/60 up
GA/60 down
HDCF% up
Off zone starts % down
Def zone starts % up
On pace for 36 points

That seems like progress right?
soft up

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Cowumbus

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If im actually critiquing Johnson Id say his biggest issue is finding linemates this year. I think this system and him trying to improve defensively is holding him back offensively a bit but I for one am not worried longterm

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
You're both right, he's actually better than Fantilli
I have said nothing regarding how he ranks compared to Fantilli.

You claimed that you haven’t seen development, I disagreed and tried to show some sort of data to back it up. Regardless, growth is not linear. I’m excited to see how good he can become.

The sophomore slump is real, ask Cole Sillinger and Matty Beniers.

It’s anecdotal, but Cole Sillinger last year had 6 points in 11 AHL games. Kent Johnson was sent down this year and had 15 points in 10 AHL games. Cole Sillinger got a lot better over the summer (and still had 1 goal through the first 27 games before ‘heating up’), working hard following a disappointing season. I’d expect the same from KJ.

***note Cole Sillinger has been put in a much more favorable position than KJ this year

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I will say I have not been impressed with KJ this year. His microstats may be improving (which is good) but his play on ice has left a lot to be desired personally. I was expecting better this year

But I would not look to trade him and calling him Milano is pretty harsh too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's kind of a weird year for KJ but not that disappointing overall.

Definitely disappointing on the PP so far. Zero points in 75 minutes. That's out of character for him.

At 5v5 he has a 2.22 P/60 (topline rate). That's terrific. But only 11 minutes of 5v5 per night.

If im actually critiquing Johnson Id say his biggest issue is finding linemates this year. I think this system and him trying to improve defensively is holding him back offensively a bit but I for one am not worried longterm

He has great results with Fantilli and Bemstrom. And with Sillinger, and with Voronkov who he is currently paired with (along with Marchenko). They've changed his lines up a lot because of problems on other lines that needed to be fixed. There are so many players on this team that seem to need constant attention as far as being on the perfect line.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I have seen KJ back check. Milano would go to the bench if the puck was going towards our goal.

If you want to slam him, Super Roslovic might be a more accurate insult.

I am still pretty high on KJ.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Okay, explain to a young person what the numbers and letters mean.

Looks like I was the only one to use the system.

The numbers correspond to upside.

10.0 - generational
9.0 - elite
8.0 - topline / top pair
7.0 - second line / second pair
6.0 - third line / third pair
5.0 - journeyman / 4th liner

The letters correspond to uncertainty.

A - no uncertainty
B - may drop one number
C - may drop two numbers
D - may drop three numbers

So I have Kirill Marchenko as an 8.0B, that means I'm confident that he's either going to be a topliner or secondliner.

I listed Denton Mateychuk as an 8.0C, that means I think he might have top pair upside, but based on his limitations and the fact we haven't seen him vs pros, he might be limited to a lower pairing, maybe not even top 4.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Major did a nice job but I’m gonna be a sick here and mention that I brought it up, with explanation, on the previous page.

I saw that but I thought it was worth explaining what the numbers and letters refer to. The numbers and letters aren't just rankings relative to each other, they're anchored to what line a player would reach, so 8.0 = topline / toppair. B means potentially dropping one line / one pair, as you know. That strong definition is what makes this ranking system the best, in my opinion.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I saw that but I thought it was worth explaining what the numbers and letters refer to. The numbers and letters aren't just rankings relative to each other, they're anchored to what line a player would reach, so 8.0 = topline / toppair. B means potentially dropping one line / one pair, as you know. That strong definition is what makes this ranking system the best, in my opinion.
Of course. I was just being a dick.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I'd rank them currently:
Fantilli
Marchenko
Chinakhov
Voronkov
KJ
Jiricek
Sillinger
‐------------

I'd like to see more from KJ but not entirely sure our current coach is maximizing his talents. There's moments but KJ needs to improve his skating acceleration and overall speed.

I'm also not very impressed with Jiricek. I realize quite a few are high on him but I'm not that convinced he's going to be close to a top pairing dman. Footspeed wise he's slow and he hasn't wowed offensively either. Once again, a lot of that could be on this current coach regime. Hopefully he improves with some much needed AHL time.

Marchenko, Chinkahov and Voronkov are probably my favorite of this bunch. All of them have taken steps forward and play hard despite whatever the unfortunate situation this team may be experiencing.

I think Fantilli is #1 on everyone's list on potential alone. He's obviously had some great games but needs consistency as do most young centers. I have no fear he'll be a solid #1 center if developed properly and avoids injuries.

Sillinger has been improving and I like his character and motor. He's improved but he's really not close to the other guys imo. Will happily eat crow if that changes.

I didn't add Mateychuk since he's not turned pro yet and we haven't seen him against men. I will say I really liked him in pre-season but that's hardly reality. Hopefully he can be an all around dman and not just another offensive dman for this franchise.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Yep, and this is why I was asking for clarification, but I guess I’m too stupid to live.

• Wow
Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wonder if Seattle is panicking as hard over Beniers future, seems like a sophmore slump is a thing

Most of us on the Seattle boards are too chill to generate a full blown panic. But yes, there is a general question of how the Kraken are supposed to become contenders when Beniers and Wright don't seem to be high upside, and GM Ron Francis seems content to keep the team in the middle of the standings.

It's not the best situation but my argument has been that we underrate all the other ways elite talent can be found. I'm very bullish on Ryker Evans and Carson Rehkopf. They might end up becoming the best players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad