Prospect Info: Rank The Top Goalie Prospects By Potential

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Funny, I was just watching a development camp video where Sogaard said, I believe I can stop every puck. It prompted me to come here and check out the boards.

1. Gustavsson
2. Sogaard (1b could unseat Gustavsson)
3.Hogberg
4.Daccord
5.Mandolese

Vets:
1.Nilsson
2. Anderson
3.Condon

Reactions: BabarElephant

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is a tough one, I really like what I have seen from Daccord and Hogberg both in their results and watching them play. They appear to be the most polished out of all the goaltending prospects. They are older so it makes sense, the development curve on goaltenders is so long I would expect them to look the best. I think its really hard to tell in the long run but I cant help but see alot of Quick in Daccord. Not as athletic but moves the same, is the same size and plays the puck even better. What he did in Arizona is truly incredible. I love his pedigree too, I have high hopes for him.

I heard about how good Gustavsson was but personally didnt love what I saw when I watched him live, however he is very young and has a long way to go. I havent seen much out of Soogard outside of the WJC where he didnt really have a chance.

Mandolese in what I have seen hasnt impressed, dont like the way he moves in his net, just seems like a big guy.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Soggard to me looks to have the only potential to be a career starter.

Gus and Hoggy look like solid backups potential.

Daccord who knows, AHL starter maybe?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
This is a tough one, I really like what I have seen from Daccord and Hogberg both in their results and watching them play. They appear to be the most polished out of all the goaltending prospects. They are older so it makes sense, the development curve on goaltenders is so long I would expect them to look the best. I think its really hard to tell in the long run but I cant help but see alot of Quick in Daccord. Not as athletic but moves the same, is the same size and plays the puck even better. What he did in Arizona is truly incredible. I love his pedigree too, I have high hopes for him.

I heard about how good Gustavsson was but personally didnt love what I saw when I watched him live, however he is very young and has a long way to go. I havent seen much out of Soogard outside of the WJC where he didnt really have a chance.

Mandolese in what I have seen hasnt impressed, dont like the way he moves in his net, just seems like a big guy.

Agree with that. Sincerely, I would not sleep on Hogberg. It was Hogberg's 2nd season in north america and the jump he made in his progression is impressive.

Daccord seems like a potential gem. What he did with Arizona State is wow. It seems the more puck he receive, the bettee he became.

Gus has very good potential. I hope he take a step forward in his 2nd season in north america like Hogberg did.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hogberg was the clear #1 in Belleville . Gus had some good games but did not look good in a few.

In February Hogberg had 10 starts compared to Gustavsson's 2
In March Hogberg had 11 starts compared to Gustavsson's 1
In April Hogberg 6 starts compared to Gustavsson's 0

Yet we have all this love for Gustavsson. It seems the less we see these guys play , the more people like their potential.

I am no goalie expert.. I get all the hype and early success and promise Gustavsson showed but he has to keep that going and he has to be able to do it consistently. Show me that and I'll jump on board.

Reactions: Samboni

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Soggard to me looks to have the only potential to be a career starter.

Gus and Hoggy look like solid backups potential.

Daccord who knows, AHL starter maybe?

I think Sogaard has the potential to be a top-15 NHL goalie.

Gus probably has a "average-to-below-average starter" ceiling.

Daccord IMO tops out as a really decent backup goalie capable of making spot starting duty for short periods but never being a dependable starter long-term.

Hogberg's ceiling is probably just a shade below Daccord's, IMO.

Mandolese I have no idea, but he seems like just a guy. Filler.

Keep in mind - the above is all just projected ceilings, like realistic best-case scenarios.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hogberg (24) is 3 years older than Gus(21). For a developing goalie, those years are MASSIVE for development & career progress.

Gus is a better goalie at 21 than Hogberg was... IMO, at least.
Yah maybe true .. Hard to say definitely. I am just from Missouri when it comes to goalies. I want to see them make stops against top level competition. Hogberg has shown that to me. Gus is still crossing hurdles in development imo and not saying he won't just keep on trucking and become great but I want to see more consistency from him personally. We have some good goalie prospects. I think Daccord will be a good one. He seems like a real battler, gamer. I would not be surprised to see him get more than a few starts in Belleville once he's shown his stuff in Brampton. Soogard could be the best of the bunch , but again hurdles to cross.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't have the expertise to really rate them outside of just making generalizations based on the consensus scouting reports from smarter people.

With that said, Sogaard is the most intriguing out of our prospects just because of his physical tools.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It feels like the odds are more in favour of getting a developed #1 goalie for a 2nd rounder, than graduating one from our pool of prospect goalies that have achieved the top tier prospect level. But im cheering for at least one of them to do the Lehner trajectory.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Hogberg was the clear #1 in Belleville . Gus had some good games but did not look good in a few.

In February Hogberg had 10 starts compared to Gustavsson's 2
In March Hogberg had 11 starts compared to Gustavsson's 1
In April Hogberg 6 starts compared to Gustavsson's 0

Yet we have all this love for Gustavsson. It seems the less we see these guys play , the more people like their potential.

I am no goalie expert.. I get all the hype and early success and promise Gustavsson showed but he has to keep that going and he has to be able to do it consistently. Show me that and I'll jump on board.

If we are looking at the goalie that is going to have first dibs at starting in the NHL, it'll be Hogberg. It we are looking at long term pedigree I believe it will be Gustavsson. Also, Soogard could be soo good.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Hogberg (24) is 3 years older than Gus(21). For a developing goalie, those years are MASSIVE for development & career progress.

Gus is a better goalie at 21 than Hogberg was... IMO, at least.

Bishop was a late starter too, if we all recall. The reason he chose Ottawa is because we started him in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad