Rank the Top 5 most Difficult Eastern Conference Opponents

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
Every team that makes the playoffs is scary. From what I’ve seen of this Pens team so far this season, they can be beat by anyone.

As already stated, solid defensive teams can give this team fits. Teams with speed can give this team fits. Teams with solid depth can give this team fits. Teams that forecheck hard can give this team fits.

There is nobody in the East that I feel would be a cakewalk for the Pens, none. This team is weaker and not as deep as last year.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I think Toronto fits pretty nicely into our narrative from 10 years ago (exactly). I think this year they could make a deep run like we did in 2008, but I think we're the Red Wings in that equation.

I know their D is suspect, but for some reason I just have this feeling that a fast talented and deep forward core with a strong goalie can cover for an unimpressive defence nowadays. I can't imagine why though....

1. Tampa Bay (who I think could beat us the way it looked like they would in game 1 of the 2016 ECF)
2. Boston (just seem to have it this year, not sure about all the youth though)
3. Toronto (could just outspeed us)
4. Philly (because it's Philly)
5. Caps (always theoretically a threat)

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
1. Tampa. Only team that has same skill, scoring depth, and speed that we do.

2. Boston. They are a pain in the ass, always. Bergeron could shut down Sid. Marchand, McQuaid, or Chara could hurt someone. Pastrnak has skill.

3. Washington. Oshie, Backstrom, Ovi, and Holtby could all kill us. Or so could Tom Wilson or Brooks Orpik, in a different way.

4. Philly. Wild card that brings the worst out of us.

5. Toronto. They have skill and they're well coached. So are we, but they have what it takes.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Things will be clearer on February 27th. We should stick to the 5 greatest rappers of all time for now.

giphy.gif

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Tampa
New Jersey
Boston
The rest

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is a really difficult question to actually answer, since so many things can change in a heartbeat. What if Vasilevskiy gets injured? What if we shore up our blueline and center depth? What if Letang figures out how to not play like Bill Mikkelson and more like Kris Letang again?

Post-season success depends on a lot of things-- luck, tenacity, coaching, injuries, guys going on hot streaks at the right time, etc. I think, on paper, no team is unbeatable in the East. Just like last year, anything can happen that will reshuffle the odds and chances.

That being said, I'd agree that, on paper, Tampa is the hardest to beat this year. But I wouldn't write us off against them in a 7 game series, even with our lineup holes. The team I'd be most nervous to play would be Washington, just because of my hardwired gambler's fallacy, not because I'm really concerned that we couldn't outplay them.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens need to finish hot and healthy or it really doesn't matter. If they do, i don't see anyone stopping them before the ECF, though NJD could give them a scare like OTT did last year.

Hopefully the Atlantic is a meat grinder with a lot of 7 game series and the team we face in the ECF is on fumes. Boston is probably the only team that will play that way though, or Philly/CBJ if they end up in WC2.

Ideal scenario:

WAS vs NJD
PIT vs PHI
Id rather play PHI than be snookered by NJD.

TBL vs CBJ
BOS vs TOR
BOS and CBJ force physical series in both.

WAS vs PIT
We are and probably always will be in their heads.
TBL vs BOS
Pray this is a bloodbath

PIT vs TBL
Either TBL or BOS will be a real tough out but id rather hold a track meet than a boxing match.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiquorLicense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad