Rank the last 20 Stanley Cup Champions

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
It's hard to rate 1-20 (or 1-21 if we count the 89 Flames). But the three that stand out to me are the 1992 Penguins, the 1989 Flames and the 1990 Oilers.

The 1991-92 Pens had the Stanley Cup hangover for most of the year. Then Craig Patrick pulled a shrewd three-way deal. They lost Coffey and Recchi, but they gained Tocchet and Kjell Samuelsson. In the process, the Pens went from a skilled team to a big, physical, skilled team. They won an incredible 11 straight games. They lost the second-best centre of all-time (Mario) for a significant chunk of the post-season, and they still rallied to beat a fine New York team in six. Tom Barrasso played the best hockey of his life, and they had so much depth up front. Mario, Ron Francis, Kevin Stevens and Tocchett played some of their best hockey. Jagr firmly entrenched himself as the game's next great offensive star.

I don't think people realize how good Calgary was in the late 80s. If not for the Oilers dynasty, they probably win two or three rings. And the Smythe Division was a factor, too. You look back on years like 85, when possibly the top three teams were in the Smythe. Or 90, when possibly the top four, and certainly four of the top five or six, were in the Smythe. The 89 Flames were incredible. The problem was, for several years, most of the division was incredible.

The 90 Oilers don't get enough credit, either. Tremendous team. You had to be a tremendous team to get out of the Smythe in 1990. Ranford played the best hockey of his life. They had tremendous depth up front. It was a team that, if they could have kept it together, might have had more championships. But Kurri went to Europe. Simpson's back went out on him. Tikkanen ran into knee problems. And within 18 months of May 1990, Anderson, Messier and Fuhr would be gone. It was an incredibly deep team up front, with the veterans still playing at a high level, and the promise of several young players.

As for this decade, Detroit in 2002 was an awesome team, although most of the HHOFers were past their prime. If I had to pick a single team of the decade, it would be the 2007 Anaheim Ducks. They were unstoppable. Everything clicked. The lines clicked. The chemistry was there. They're the one team that could beat an opponent any way you wanted. A tight-checking 2-1 game? They could win it. A rough-and-tumble, grinding 3-2 game? They could win it. A high-scoring, 4-3 or 5-4 game? They could win that too. They had a goalie who could steal a game for them in Giguere, an outstanding coach, and the best 1-2-3 punch on defence (Pronger, Niedermayer and Beauchemin) that the game has seen in the last 20 years.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If I had to pick a single team of the decade, it would be the 2007 Anaheim Ducks. They were unstoppable. Everything clicked. The lines clicked. The chemistry was there. They're the one team that could beat an opponent any way you wanted. A tight-checking 2-1 game? They could win it. A rough-and-tumble, grinding 3-2 game? They could win it. A high-scoring, 4-3 or 5-4 game? They could win that too. They had a goalie who could steal a game for them in Giguere, an outstanding coach, and the best 1-2-3 punch on defence (Pronger, Niedermayer and Beauchemin) that the game has seen in the last 20 years.

you really think the anaheim trio was better than blake, bourque, and foote?

and, since we're talking about how the '89 flames were underrated, do macinnis, suter, and mccrimmon belong in this discussion?

Sony Eriksson*

That could have been Buffalo if the NHL had decided to enforce their own rules.

Seriously...10 years later and people still *****ing about it? read the rule book from that season and it will explain to you why the goal was valid.

2002 Red Wings, no question!! By far the oldest team ever to win the cup..Dominated the league from October until June!!...An astounding feat of Arms!!
I know when Dallas won the cup they were the oldest team in the NHL. Maybe someone could find the avg. age of Dallas and the avg. age of the '02 wings.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
you really think the anaheim trio was better than blake, bourque, and foote?

and, since we're talking about how the '89 flames were underrated, do macinnis, suter, and mccrimmon belong in this discussion?

Neidermayer and Pronger were pretty much undisputed as two of the top three that season. Beachemin much farther down the list.

I'd say Bourque and Blake were both unquestionably top five in 2001, Foote probably somewhere in around the 15ish range.

Obviously Avs had the huge advantage up front and in net but in terms of defense and the way they were playing at the time, I think Anaheim is close.

CC Chiefs*

Seriously...10 years later and people still *****ing about it? read the rule book from that season and it will explain to you why the goal was valid.

I know when Dallas won the cup they were the oldest team in the NHL. Maybe someone could find the avg. age of Dallas and the avg. age of the '02 wings.

I could have cared less who won that game or that series! Point being that very same play was called no goal many times that year and years in the past as long as that rule was around.

Now if the shoe was on the other foot you would still be *****ing about the no call because it would gone against your team. You being the Dallas homer who tried to defend Steve Ott on the player vote, voting him one of the dirties players in the league. And you want call him something other then a goon.:sarcasm:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The Montreal Canadiens went to OT 11 time in 1993 and won the last 10. They didn't play any game sevens, but it was still incredibly tense to watch.

I would put the 89 Flames and 97 Red Wings as the top two. Its a tossup as to which is first.

And I would say the 1989 Canadiens are the best team to lose in the Stanley Cup Finals but that's an entirely new thread

That would be a great thread. The 2001 Devils have to be up their too; they were the highest scoring team of the entire dead puck era and we all know about their defense. With wins in 2000 and 2003, they were a Game 7 loss away from being a dynasty (not in the traditional sense but in the modern era 3 of 4 should qualify as a dynasty). Screw Ray Bourque. (And screw Scott Gomez and Alexander Mogilny for not bothering to show up in the finals. No surprise that the team wouldn't give Mogilny big money in the offseason).

CC Chiefs*

That would be a great thread. The 2001 Devils have to be up their too; they were the highest scoring team of the entire dead puck era and we all know about their defense. With wins in 2000 and 2003, they were a Game 7 loss away from being a dynasty (not in the traditional sense but in the modern era 3 of 4 should qualify as a dynasty). Screw Ray Bourque. (And screw Scott Gomez and Alexander Mogilny for not bothering to show up in the finals. No surprise that the team wouldn't give Mogilny big money in the offseason).

Very rarely does anyone get BIG MONEY (except for Broduer and a very few others) from that team.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
So basically since Gretzky left the Oilers? Because any Gretzky Oilers team would be better than any team since. I'll give it a quick go:

1. 2002 Detroit (best team money can buy, stacked with HOFers)
2. 2001 Colorado (stacked with high end talent)
3. 1997 Detroit (with the Russian five and Vernon)
4. 2000 New Jersey (deepest offense combined with the defense)
5. 1992 Penguins (a more complete team than 1991, Jagr also better)
6. 1991 Penguins (almost as dominant as 1992)
7. 1994 Rangers (stacked with former Oilers + Leetch + Zubov)
8. 1989 Flames (finally broke through - stuck in same division as the Oilers)
9. 1998 Detroit (not quite as good as the 97 team)
10. 1999 Dallas (one of the top teams finally won the Cup)
11. 1996 Avalanche (lots of high end talent and clutch players)
12. 1990 Oilers (not as dominant after Gretzky left)
13. 2008 Red Wings (dominant at both ends of the ice)
14. 1995 Devils (dominant defensively and dominated the playoffs, underrated offense)
15. 2007 Ducks (dominant defensively, questionsable offense)
16. 2009 Penguins (high end talent and not much depth)
17. 2004 Lightning (high end talent but not much depth)
18. 2003 Devils (all their key players were past their primes)
19. 1993 Montreal Candians (average team other than in goal)
20. 2006 Carolina Hurricanes (came out of nowhere then fell to earth the next year)

Using these rankings i used whatifsports.com to simulate games between the teams. After simulating the match ups,apparently, the 1996 Colorado Avalanche are the best Stanley Cup Champion of the last 20 years after defeating the 2002 Detroit Red Wings.

member 51464

Using these rankings i used whatifsports.com to simulate games between the teams. After simulating the match ups,apparently, the 1996 Colorado Avalanche are the best Stanley Cup Champion of the last 20 years after defeating the 2002 Detroit Red Wings.

Wait, you actually took the time to do every team against all 19 opponents?

Or you just went down that list once?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If someone had an insane amount of time, they could use whatifsports, and have an ultimate round-robin, to see which team fared the best against all the others.

Who's up for it? :laugh:

member 51464

If someone had an insane amount of time, they could use whatifsports, and have an ultimate round-robin, to see which team fared the best against all the others.

Who's up for it? :laugh:

Hmm, I'm unemployed, single, and don't really have any hobbies. Classes don't start for almost 2 weeks for me. I might take it up in the next couple of days if nobody else wants to. Haha.

sidewayzLEAFS

Jul 18, 2009
ontario, canada
02 red wings(vernon, lidstrom, russian 5, yzerman, shanny)
01 avalanche(sakic, forsbery, roy, blake, foots, drury, hejduk, the list goes on and on)
92 penguins (mario, 'nuff said)

not in any particular order

jor

Sep 4, 2008
01 avalanche(sakic, forsbery, roy, blake, foots, drury, hejduk, the list goes on and on)

I think you mean 97 Wings not 02?

Killiecrankie*

The 1992 Pittsburgh Penguins would beat any other team on that list in a seven game series. They were the best team of the last twenty years by far. Big, physical, scoring, underrated defense.

Best team of the last twenty years.

Stevens-Mario-Tocchet

Noone on that list can touch that line, and I didnt even include players like francis, jagr, mullen, trots......

Lounge Act*

The 1992 Pittsburgh Penguins would beat any other team on that list in a seven game series. They were the best team of the last twenty years by far. Big, physical, scoring, underrated defense.

Best team of the last twenty years.

Stevens-Mario-Tocchet

Noone on that list can touch that line, and I didnt even include players like francis, jagr, mullen, trots......

You wouldn't by chance happen to be a Penguins fan would you?

Killiecrankie*

You wouldn't by chance happen to be a Penguins fan would you?

Well I am a penguin fan first, a montreal fan second, but a general hockey fan in addition.

That Penguin team was the best collection of talent in the last twenty seasons-the last team on par with the 80's Oilers and Islanders, and the 70's montreal clubs though all three of those clubs were just a bit better.

jor

Sep 4, 2008
Well I am a penguin fan first, a montreal fan second, but a general hockey fan in addition.

That Penguin team was the best collection of talent in the last twenty seasons-the last team on par with the 80's Oilers and Islanders, and the 70's montreal clubs though all three of those clubs were just a bit better.

Those Montreal teams were a LOT better than the Pens, imo.

The Wings and Av's best teams were better than the Pens also but I'm a homer like you so we just cancel each other out I guess.

member 51464

See, Culloden saved me the trouble of having to run all the teams against each other!

chopkins

Super Bowl Champs
Aug 7, 2009
Vancouver
I'll give it a go...

1. Colorado 2001
2. Detroit 2002
3. Detroit 1997
4. New Jersey 2000
5. Colorado 1996
6. Pittsburgh 1992
7. Calgary 1989
8. Pittsburgh 1991
9. New York 1994
10. Detroit 1998
11. Detroit 2008
12. Dallas 1999
13. Montreal 1993
14. Pittsburgh 2009
15. New Jersey 1995
16. Edmonton 1990
17. Anaheim 2007
18. New Jersey 2003
19. Tampa Bay 2004
20. Carolina 2006

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden

All three were great and both McCrimmon and Suter played really impressive in 1988. However, I just noticed something hidden in the statistics: Suter just played in 5 playoff games in 1989. It looks like MacInnis, McCrimmon, Ramage, Macoun, Murzyn and Nattress were the top 6 D for most of the playoffs.

However, with that offensive depth along with Vernon, they weren't going to let anything stand in their way.

CC Chiefs*

Vernon was gone. Kozlov got traded for Hasek who was the starting goalie.

Killiecrankie*

Those Montreal teams were a LOT better than the Pens, imo.

The Wings and Av's best teams were better than the Pens also but I'm a homer like you so we just cancel each other out I guess.

The thing is, the Penguins had better top end talent AND depth than both of those clubs. The 89 Flames were also an excellent team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad